Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AWOONGA BARRA DEAD IN THE 1000's

Re: AWOONGA BARRA DEAD IN THE 1000's

Lovely80,

It is an offense to target Barramundi other than in a stipulated impoundment during the East Coast Breeding Closure. You may flick your lures around for any other tidal species other than Barramundi. Should you accidentally catch a barra, it must not be removed from the water and must be immediately released, so that means DON"T lift it out of the water for a quick photo with it.

barradise
    not here to argue anny points of what people have seen or have a dig at anyone, but there is hundreds down there and washed out into the harbour. everything in our own power has been done and will conitinue while ever they go over. fish will continue to go in to replenish awoonga's stocks throughout the season.

cheers
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Does that mean you can't flick a lure around the river? As long as all are released then all is good right?

The fact that they are in feeding mode must be a good sign for those that are still alive I assume? Any experts to confirm that?
    The arguement will always be if they are "Targeted" - Hard to prove , if not impossible in a multi species system. The law may see it as - If you caught barra one after another it could be deemed that you were targeting them (expected to change tactics , move location or cease fishing ...... dunno!
    From what I understand the fish must be immediately released - not removed from the water.
    If you look at the footage of barra going over - If a fish went down head first and avoided the concrete blocks at the bottom .... those fish just would have got the ride of their life
    So - feeding fish would be a good sign

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Closed season !!!!
    Nagg, mates were fishing for jacks,these fish were the result of bi-catch.All fish were released as everybody knows it is closed season .It is just good to see that despite all the doom reports most people are reporting there is a positive outcome as well.I believe there are many more barra going over the wall that live than the ones we see floating belly up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Does that mean you can't flick a lure around the river? As long as all are released then all is good right?

The fact that they are in feeding mode must be a good sign for those that are still alive I assume? Any experts to confirm that?
    Closed season means that it is illegal to target Barramundi in the river, whether you intend to release them or not. This is to protect the breeding population of fish in the river.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by barradise View Post
    This event would not be so much of a concern if we weren't at the start of a predicted abnormal wet season.

With Awoonga at 100% full and the weather guys predicting a good chance of recieving a cyclone or tropical low, what will become of the barra then when the lake is in full flood mode and the spillway is overflowing by 3-4 metres.

It's a bloody disgrace.

Just exactly what is a bloody disgrace?

What do you mean by that barradise?

Is the weather a bloody disgrace?

Nature taking it's course a bloody disgrace?

What do you mean?

do barra breed in impoundments???

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    do barra breed in impoundments???
    No Pinhead they need to get back to the salt ect to breed

Yeah a real bugger that these fish are being lost to the un relenting rain that has been dropped over the catchment, the many hours of hard work that GAWB has put into making Awoonga the fantastic fishery it is must be heart breaking but in that Awoonga was a educated fishery and this may give the fishery a new lease of life....

As for the dead fish well yep its Nature of impoundments and yep dead ones will occur, I dobt there are thousands and after reading the posts from Kurt and Trev I am sure it's not. The dead ones will move into the food chain of the river fish and crabs etc and the live ones will make thousands of new born barra for the systems in and around it and that's is a good thing for all anglers in the future....

No one has commented on the well overdue flush that The boyne river is getting. All going well the future looks bright for the boyne.
    Gladbream, do you guys have any ideas on survival rates from what you have seen?

ive heard rumours waz of the count being around 850 to 1000 found dead and in the thousands that have gone over,
    in the video link below it shows a barra just laying upside down ahKING AT ABOUT 2:16 WHAT WOULD CAUSE THAT?

seen these pics aswell thought id share pretty amazing stuff

Well we are off to awonga in a week or so... What do you think the fishing will be like? Personally, all weather,fish kill, overflow issues aside, I think the fishing will be what we make of it!

i think it will be very wet going by the forecast, there is still water flowing over the spillway as of today, and the boyne river is pumping if there is any more rain i think the fishing will shut right down...
    on another note i was down at the boyne river about half an hour ago just past the highway bridge and there was 20-30 barra on the banks plus a few floating around in the eddies, the one i measured was 110cm with a few bigger ones still floating around..

Thanks for the informative post barradise, as for "closed season" I am one of those people who live in these parts(CQ in general) and loves fishing ,ie, heading down to the creek with half a dozen lures for a few throws to see whats around !!
    Taking into account the number of dry years we have have had recently, most fisho's are keen for action.
    Barra are at there best this time of year and are a welcome bycatch (hundreds have been caught and released in the lagoons etc around rocky in the past 6 weeks or so) along with top sport on tarpon etc, as far as I,m concerned if you arent out there having a few casts you arent alive !!