Thread: Life expectancy??

Life expectancy??

yes i know you get what you pay for but what sort on life would you expect to get out of braid.
    would only be 8 months old but in the last 6 weeks it has had a bit of a work out..

Re: Life expectancy??

I had a discussion with a rep earlier this year about the same thing. His comment was it depends on the quality, use and how it is cared for. I had some that broke down within 12 months. He asked how I was storing it (washed and out of the sun/heat - ok) and what I had been catching on it (barra, spotties, etc on 4lb and used often- hmmm). Apparently if the line is fished at its maximum load a lot, it shorten the life. My heavier stuff 65-80lb is lasting much longer. Guess I need to fish it more at its maximum.

Hope this helps, it is only what I was told.

Steve

ive had same tufline for a couple years

Through good runners it will last indefinately if not fed through snags etc.I still have braid on reels that is atleast ten years old.

Still using the same spool of Spider Wire stealth on my TSS4 which gets a flogging for the last 8 years.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Are the ones mentioned above boat rods?
    im finding off the seaway wall is just cutting the braid to pieces....
    mmmmm back to mono me thinks..

His comment was it depends on the quality,
    so how do you pick a good quality braid?

Wear on the braid and exposure to sunlight will determine life. I am about to strip the top 100M and topshot with fresh line after about 14 months of regular boat fishing in 40 - 70M because it looks "faded".

Of all of the lines 1 Shimano, 1 berkley firewire, 3 eBay Dyneema and 1 recommended and spooled by the local tackle shop, the Berkely firewire has held up the best. The tackle shop "premium" recommended line is very faded and is starting to look "fluffy", the Shimano braid has held up well also, and the eBay braid has faded in colour, but still feels good. I have set drags using scales at 10Kg with each of these, so all are holding to 10Kg, all line is 15Kg rated.

The Wench prefers fireline, I don't mind any of them. I bought ebay coz I was tight for cash at the time.

If your only putting a 100yard spool its no big deal, but we have 6 reels with 500M apiece. If there is a test for what is better I would love to know it.

Your mileage may vary, our lines get a wash with fresh water after every outing and the reels get wiped off with a rag coated in WD40 or Inox depending on whats in the cupboard on the day.

To date we have not broken braid on any of these outfits, but have straightened a few hooks, must be time to buy bigger hooks

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    so how do you pick a good quality braid?
    Wayne, I would ask here with the line weight you want to run or do a search here. Some of the cheaper brands are ropy or thick for their weight. Others colour washes out quickly and some go fluffy really quick.

Me, I use Nitlon Blue or Fireline under 8lb, Bionic or Power Pro to 30lb and Tuffline or Fins above that.

Steve