Thread: I found a rod

I found a rod

Hi all

This afternoon while checking the roof for leaks through the manhole cover in the garage I found a fishing rod (and no leaks) which must have been left there by the previous owners when they moved out. It is a bit dusty but otherwise in good nick. I suppose that is the problem with a good hiding place

It is a Powerrod Spotty Mac with the notation made in Malaysia for Len Butterworth Pty Ltd and is six feet long and quite thick It does not have a line rating or any other information on it.

A couple of questions:

What would it be used for (mackerel would be my guess based on the name).
    It looks like it should be used with a spinning reel but not sure what size.

As I do mostly land based estuary fishing it is probably not much use to me.

Cheers

Chris

Re: I found a rod

You probably should give it back to me as the previous house owner....

I meant to grab it on the last day as we left but the missus kept hanging around.

Went back for the last load of furniture and the Mother In Law was there fo the final clean up.

I want it back as I had never used it.............................

Sounds familiar.

Enjoy the rod.... for Xmas from a person you never really knew.......
    Cheers
    Pete

Chris

It is a sign! You need to be fishing instead of doing jobs around the house. Ignore this sign at your peril, but I wouldn't as the fish gods are mighty powerful.

Enjoy

Steve

Meeerry Christmaaas is what i say...give it a dust off..and give it a go!!!

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

I shall try it out soon. I will also have a more thorough look in the ceiling and see if there are any other hidden treasures.

I have one of them!!!! Found it in the father in laws shed years ago and convinced him he would never use it again. Mine has no reference to Malaysia, actually has a reference to Brisbane, its the one with four runners and cork grips isn't it??

As for what I use it for, matched with an old 7 inch Alvey snapper reel and 24kg line, you wont find a better combo to slow troll pillies for spotties. Mine has caught 100's of spotties as well as reds and other assortments.

Clean it up and use it, great rod!!!! Or give it to me

Well that's got to be better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Amasing what you find in ceilings.
    I've found all types of stuff in ceilings over the years. Handy sometimes been a sparky dude
    But I've left a lot in them too. If anyone's found an original Old Timer pocket knife...it's mine
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks Shane. It does not have cork grips. may be a cheaper imported version of what you have. 4 guides is right.

It might be good for hurling slugs too.

I still have the butterworth rod my brother baught me when I was a young fella.....its about 8 foot long and a bit stiff.

Its not bad for when ya dont want a full sized surf rod..... but ya want some length and some strenght.

You'll probaly hurl a pillie quite a way with it.

for now stick anything you have on it and give it a go.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.