Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Queensland Snapper Ban. !!!!

6 week ban from keeping snapper from 15th feb next year

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/envi...214-18w2j.html

Bryn
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 14-12-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Re: Snapper ban now in place!!!!

I am very much looking forward to comment by Bill Corten and Barry Day on this one. My read is that of the four options:

- Two include a fee for Recreational Anglers, either $70 or $90 per annum AND a logbook.
    - The other two include a ban for Recs only of two or four months.

Seems we Recs are going to cop it in the neck one way or the other. BOHECA people. Or get up and fight...

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Re: East Coast Snapper ban now in place!!!!

So effectively, there is no point going offshore during that 6 weeks. Unless ur targeting spotties ? No pearl pearch or terraglin either.

I might just wonder over the boarder to NSW and catch my bag limit of 10 snappers at 30cm .

We already pay boat registration and none of our money go's back to better boat ramps, it seems to me that this is just ANOTHER way that Bligh can make money back that she has lost.

My vote:

Make commerical fishing go 40km off shore before they are allowed to fish.
    (not including charter boats)

Love to know how they arrive at the 415 tonnes taken by recreational anglers! This must be a guess as there is no clear or easy way to determine this number...I reckon it must be wildly a inaccurate figure.

How will the proposed changes/options affect catch and release anglers? If I target snaps for pics only will I have to pay a fee, keep a log book or do I just target other species and call snaps bycatch?

Interesting to see where this goes...

How did they come up with the 415 tonnes for recreational sector?
    Is it a guesstimate of registered boats in qld x catch limit per day x weather permitting fishing days per year x average snapper weight? (then adding a bit for any unregistered boats or kayaks )

Or they get that data from somewhere legit?

Read Minister Mulherin's full statement in the below attachment.

http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/St....aspx?id=72979

A Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) has been released for public comment which outlines a number of options for managing this fishery, and in particular the take of snapper

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_19696.htm

Snapper Closed Season Now A Reality

Today, Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland Tim Mulherin announced a six week interim closure to help reduce fishing pressure on Queensland’s overfished snapper stock. The closure will be put in place along the Queensland east coast early next year making snapper, teraglin and pearl perch off limits until new management arrangements can be finalised. “The interim closure from 15 February to 31 March 2011 is immediate action to protect and rebuild snapper stocks,” Mr Mulherin said.“The interim closure applies to all sectors – commercial, recreational and charter operators“Snapper, teraglin and pearl perch should not be targeted during this time and if incidentally caught should be returned to the water immediately."

CHEERS SWANO

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Fisheries contacted me this morning to say that the RIS has been released and that a teleconference was being arranged for tomorrow morning with the members of the snapper working group.

I am still waiting for a copy of the RIS to see what options are included.

The suggested $70 to $90 fee is news to me

Hope you all have your supply of vasaline.

Will post report tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers
    Barry

Seems like a piss into the wind measure, hardly anyone fishes for snapa in late summer. just go fishn for pelagics instead

Re: Snapper Closed Season Now A Reality

Feb - March eh. Prime Snapper time Got their fingers on the pulse those guys eh.

Queensland fishing enthusiasts and commercial operators will be banned from catching snapper, teraglin and pearl perch off the east coast from next year.
    The six-week interim ban, to take effect from February 15, is a temporary move while the state government decides what permanent measures it will enforce to restore depleted snapper stocks.

State Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin today released a blueprint for the Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery, which includes four options to crack down on snapper takes off the east coast.

They would impact on the recreational, charter and commercial fishing sectors.
    Under two of the options, recreational fishing enthusiasts would face mandatory or voluntary logbook rules and a $70 or $90 permit fee to catch snapper.
    These two options include an annual six-week closure to the recreational take of snapper, pearl perch and teraglin.

Two further options suggest the recreational sector could face either a two-month or four-month annual closure to the take of snapper.
    Options affecting the commercial sector include either a four-month annual snapper ban or other measures to limit access.
    Catch details would have to be reported in logbooks and fees would be charged.
    The options, which would remain in effect for 10 years, have been released for public comment.
    The measures are designed to reduce the annual total take of snapper to 400 tonnes among all sectors.
    Currently, the recreational sector is responsible for taking 415 tonnes of snapper a year while the commercial sector hauls in about 190 tonnes and the charter sector takes 40 tonnes.

Mr Mulherin said the state's snapper stocks were overfished and the interim six-week ban was needed to address the problem.
    “The fishery's not going to collapse overnight but we need to take steps now to ensure the sustainability of the fishery,” he told reporters.

“What the scientific assessment is telling us is that the fishery level is running at 35 per cent of unfished levels. Internationally if a fishery gets below 40 per cent there are sustainability issues.”

Mr Mulherin said the initial six-week ban, from February 15 to March 31 next year, had been timed to reduce the social and economic impact.
    However, the move would reduce the take of snapper for the year by an estimated 14 per cent, he said. It would be accompanied by a public education campaign.

On-the-spot fines for low-level breaches are in the $200 to $400 range.
    Mr Mulherin defended the government's preparedness to act on declining snapper fish stocks, after saying advice was received in 2006 that the fishery was at risk.
    He said bag and catch limits were currently in place and numerous reviews had been undertaken of the department's assessments.
    Public comment on the plan is due by February 28. For more information phone 13 25 23.

So if we say $90 and 100,000 fishermen brought the license. Thats 9 Millions Revenue..

I wonder if the fee is for all , trag and pearl pearch or do we need
    1. $90 for snapper
    2. $90 pearch pearch
    3. $90 trag jew
    All deckies that are taken out will need to show their $90 license

Re: Snapper Closed Season Now A Reality

so I now drive to tweed and motor up to my marks, then go back to tweed and drive home, add another half hour to my trip

lots of sense in QLD law

looks like I will be taking the gas cooker out so I can have a nice cooked Breakfast or dinner......
    what a F$%%ing joke with the weather being so crap that going boating is like once every 8 weeks if your lucky and now the main fish the general public are likely to catch are going to be BANED.
    Better get a lot more Fisheries and Cops on the water as all they are asking for is more people to break the law.....

So far this season I have not caught one keeper snapper so maybe they should think more about keeping the commercial fishers off the close reefs so the Bait schools are there for the snapper etc.