Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Re: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Poll now being run on C-Mail asking should anglers be made to pay to catch snapper. Results at the moment- yes 51 votes = 23.15%
    - no 182 votes = 76.15%
    They have the colors for indicating the vote all wrong. Yes should be green.

Cheers....Terry.....
    Where's the poll??
    I cannot find it and want to cast my vote.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Ooops. Found it.
    1/2 way down this page on the right hand side.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/
    Be careful of the responses as the question is worded a bit funny to encourage a yes vote but we want NO!!!

Everybody should give a vote. Can't do any harm and only takes 30 seconds if your slow like me.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

While everyones attention is on this subject, dont forget that;

• Kingfish
    • AmberJack &
    • Mahi Mahi
    are also on the RRFF review paper, which means that DPI can automatically impose the same restrictions on these fish as well.

So your 4 month ban or fishing licence may be on a per species basis, for now..

regards
    Honda.

To me there are two options.

Option 5: Collect good information and make an informed, transparent choice free of Green preference deals.

Option 6: Collective, massive civil disobedience. In other words, Anna, pi$$ off.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

collecting data is a good idea, but it was mentioned way way back that most people do NOt want to give any info to fisheries or anybody else that might have an ulterior motive, last summer all our local ramps had volunteers asking questions like, how long have you been out?, how many fish did you catch?, how many people? they then measured everything you had and recorded the data, a lot of fishermen would tell them to piss off, thinking it was some green movement's plan to stop anyone going fishing (and maybe it was) but it was all anyone had that was factual in respect to rec fishing effort and catch rate, how that will be used is anyones guess, maybe a ban on some species for us too!

So, to just get a handle on all this, when is the peak Snapper 'season" in your area (QLD that is) has anyone done a bit of googling to find out when and why Snapper spawn and how big/what age they are when they do so? maybe if we can come up with some hard facts, then we MAY, and I stress MAY understand why this time frame was chosen for a closed season, or maybe we can come up with facts that the time frame and reason is just "green waste!"

Noel., it strikes at the bay, river and inshore reef fishos who do well on small legal fish during the late summer rain runoffs which cloud the water up and fire them up a bit. the main spawning time is during winter when they congregate on the offshore reefs

noel going off previous pro trips off double island snapper have a big spawning run around chrismas time and new year and are fully rowed up and from talks with these scientists that fisheries are using snapper are spasmatic spawners breeding more than once a year and at different times and going by the roe i've had in nobby sessions over summer this wouldn't be far from the truth although i think this closure has more to do with when the school holidays end.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Could one of the mods post a poll on the four options?

Be very careful placing your votes because voting for option 4 does not necessarily mean the the Charter and Commercial sectors will be locked into option 4 as well. They would be laughing with no pesky recs to worry about

Option 2 would be attractive to the offshore boys who have a lot of investment tied up in their boats. The $70 annual fee is per boat and crew could chip in. Also this fee could be waived or reduced with a bit of lobbying in the right places.

Option 4 would also place the viability of a number of marine related business in jeopardy.

Food for thought.

Cheers
    Barry

Apologies for coming in late as have been away for the last few days and only back on the computer for today.
    Was so disappointed with the way Fisheries are handling the rec fishing side of things I opted to stay on hols and not attend their briefing on Wednesday as a lot of communication needs to be undertaken through the consultation period and there is a long way to go before there will be any concensus.
    Clearly the situation has not changed in that fisheries have no accurate idea of how many rec fishers fish for snapper or what the true rec catch is. How they think they can make informed decisions with such gaping holes in rec data is beyond me as they are punishing rec fishers for their failings.
    The fee structures they are suggesting are insulting too as they should be proactively doing something better at their end to develop a decent database and get a true handle on this without screwing the very people who will be providing them with good info.
    As Barry Day and myself have said all along we need transparency in how they manage the fishery on behalf of rec fishers and the RIS fails to deliver that. Their proposals do not cut it for mine!!!!

Regards
    Bill

Tim you seem to think the LNP will save us, I'm sure they will on most issues but not this. This whole thing is following what happened in WA, a Labor Gov brings in green zones then a couple of month ban on snapper fishing. The Libs say vote for us and we'll stop them. Well the Libs got in and within a few months they use precautional principle and increased green zones, lowered bag limits and brought in snapper licence fees.
    This was The WA Libs rec policy before the election, sound familiar?

RECREATIONAL FISHING AND BOATING

The Liberal Party has long recognised the cultural and economic value of recreational fishing and boating in Western Australia. Recreational boating and fishing is a way of life in WA. There are over 640 000 recreational fishers in Western Australia, and the recreational boating and fishing industries are estimated to be worth over $1.5 billion annually to the state’s economy. Western Australia now boasts the highest per capita boat ownership of any state in Australia with over 85,000 registered boats. However, the Labor Government has simply not considered the needs of Western Australia’s recreational boaters, fishers and associated industries. This arrogant and narrow minded approach needs to change.
    Recreational Fishing

The seasonal recreational fishing bans introduced by Labor on 24 June 2008 are extremely restrictive. There is no question that it is important for the environment and for the commercial and recreational fishing industries that Western Australia’s fish stocks are well managed into the future. The problem with Labor’s recreational fishing ban, however, is that it was implemented without regard to the lifestyle of WA’s boaters and anglers and without considering the damaging economic impact it will have on the associated boating, tackle and accommodation industries. A Liberal Government will immediately establish an expert recreational fishing panel to review the Labor Government’s ban and evaluate the environmental, social and economic impact of the restrictions, with a view to relaxing the bans. A Liberal Government will be committed to ensuring there is an appropriate balance between the need to manage fish stocks and the ability of Western Australians to enjoy recreational fishing.

There's a thousand reasons to vote out Labor, but so the LNP can save our snapper fishing is off with the pixies.
    We need to take this up to Labor, then call for real data and a sencible outcome. JP & the LNP can support us for sure but we need to drive it, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    There's a thousand reasons to vote out Labor, but so the LNP can save our snapper fishing is off with the pixies.
    We need to take this up to Labor, then call for real data and a sencible outcome. JP & the LNP can support us for sure but we need to drive it, IMO
    If the LNP do let us down, I'll be surprised. But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll sadly eat my words. Right now what choice do we have?

Labor's ears are closed to us. They get far more bang from the Green buck than they do from us. If we treat them as anything less than the enemy, we are stuffed.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

i think our kids will go feral
    and next year scientists will prove if we don't go in ocean for swim, ocean will be more salty
    than DPI with these scientists that fisheries are using they will bring 6 weeks of " no swimming in ocean "
    or you can go for swim but will cost you $90 or u can just wet one leg .

I can not believe they just made decision just like that without more research

Tim..for all the ALP failings and there are many..not one person in the LNP strikes me as being comptetent to be in Governent and that is a sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Tim..for all the ALP failings and there are many..not one person in the LNP strikes me as being comptetent to be in Governent and that is a sad state of affairs.
    This man speaketh the truth.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%