Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Re: East Coast Snapper ban now in place!!!!

Any one else hear the LNP member for Clevlands weak ass response on Smithy's show on 4BC this afternoon.

No wonder the slack ass green pandering labor government keeps getting re-elected when we have an opposition with out any balls.

John Gooding on 4BC http://www.4bc.com.au/blogs/4bc-blog...214-18wkl.html

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angryant View Post
    So my "prediction" of a 6 week blosure commencing in Februaty was deadly accurate. (Read my post back then if you do not believe me).

Clearly, in my mind, this is pre-meditated and has been in the planning for at least 4 months. Those interested, feel free to PM me if you wish.
    The closure for 6 weeks from Feb 15 was recommended by all three sectors 2 years ago at the Mooloolaba meeting of the snapper working group. The 6 week closure next year is for all three sectors BUT thereafter only applies to the recreation sector. Charter and Commercial have managed to exclude themselves from this closure.

There is no way that recreational anglers will agree to this.

Cheers
    Barry

Re: Snapper Closed Season Now A Reality

this is just the start o 6 oclock news talk of a 90 dollar licence
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

I believe this token 6 week ban is a test for recreational angler reactions before they give us all the big pineapple.

Better get angry, loud & proud as a responsible recreational angler now or forever hold your peace !

Reminds me of a slogan I saw on a motorbike recently.

"Stand for something or fall for anything!"

Re: Snapper Ban!!

Problem i i see that many of the idiots that are already starting to agree with this move on snapper etc,cannot see that the long term objective is to stop fishing in all forms.
    There will be a fishing tax but no money back into the fishery and already the move is being put into place at a federal level that will have massive areas called green with no fishing at all.
    About the only good thing i can think of is i didn't vote for any of the bastards and certainly won't be in the future,no worries

Fisheries cant even stop fishing in the green zone off Woody Point !! How they gonna stop this?
    i want a bigger boat

Call Sign "In-Vince-able" VHF 72

lmao there only 20 years too late....
    .......Ash

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    I'm seriously considering giving fishing away, these new rules and regulations the government are bringing in all the time are utter bullshit and get my blood boiling.

Might be time to buy a 500hp rotary turbo and have fun at the drags...at least theres not so many stupid rules.

cheers tim
    Just as many rules there Tim.

But I know what you are saying...I have given up on the pollies..just a waste of time..my local Member does not even answer my emails any more. I don't think he likes the ones I have sent him in the past.
    This Govt does not care what anyone other than their own powerbrokers think.

This gov will not be happy untill it has stopped rec fishing all together, that's the intention, that's why they are doing what they are doing.

Staying in power is the name of the game, and they need the greenies to do it.

We are rooted

so the dates of the ban, can anyone tell me if these fish r spawning at this time or not. i thought the snapper r spawning through out winter this is why you catch more through the colder months. i think that a six week ban isnt such a bad thing, theres still another 46 weeks to fish them and i could see it working well, but only if the ban was around the spawning periods and if not this will not have very much affect at all. i also would prefer to fish them all year round but i also would like my kids and grandkids to be able to catch them aswell.

ps- im glad i upgraded to the bullet proof monitor.

jp

read all the details..it is only an interim closure

"In addition to the review, an interim closure from 15 February to 31 March 2011 has been put in place until new fishing rules can be finalised.
    The interim closure is an immediate action to reduce the fishing pressure on snapper."

Don't get ya knickers in a knot over this lil time..wait until they hit with the 4 month and license fee to catch them.

how did they slip teraglin and peral perch into the same 'snapper' ban.........

Re: Have your say on the future management of snapper

As we know Jim, there is only a guess that the Snapper fishery is over-fished. That analysis comes from the DPI&F's own scientists.

Although from some anecdotal evidence it would appear that numbers of Snapper are not as prevalent in some offshore and inshore areas as previous years. This can be for a number of reasons and those reasons are all in the mix.

Over-fishing by recreational anglers does not rate high due to the actual numbers of Snapper being caught compared to years gone by when bag limits and size limits were more.

Certainly weather ( drought ) conditions over the last 10 years or so is a major contributor to less numbers within the data collection range.

Limited research capabilities by Fisheries scientists due to current Government's lack of funding certainly inhibits the ability to provide accurate or reasonable data.

Area specific Snapper fisheries are affected differently and should not be grouped together as a Qld Fishery. Regional management is a must.

Interstate complimentary regulations should be imposed.

All of the above and more will be presented in the RIS by myself and many others with a specific knowledge regarding the Snapper fishery.

For now…………. I would have thought that a decision in relation to closures would have been made AFTER the RIS process had taken place. This Government always spruiks about “ public consultation “, but it always appears that decisions are made well and truly before any public consultation has taken place.

Now, if as the Minister states, this action to impose a 6 week ban to “ protect and rebuild “ being made now, smacks of a management plan that is trying to play catch up for inadequate decisions made in the past. Further, if the “ rebuild “ is to mean anything, surely a “ ban “ period would be better suited to a spawning season time frame.

February and March are hardly a Snapper target time for recreational and commercial operators ( charter ). Again, Barotrauma will play a big part in numerous lost fish.

A very public educational program targeted at recreational, charter and commercial operators needs to be enacted. That program MUST have Officers at boat ramps with release weights, spikes and educational leaflets, if a mass waste of fish is to be avoided.

Jim, the BIO_Mass tool used for calculating the fish stock is , in my opinion , lacking in credibility and scientific methodology.

I hope that all rec fishos input into the RIS is not wasted or disregarded.

Cheers Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Question 1......Inshore fishers that are unlikely to come accross a reasonable snapper due to location, but the chance is there to fluke one, decides not to pay the $90 fee to access the snapper fishery and does fluke one. He will be reaking the law by bringing home a 3kg snapper caught in the mouth of the Pine River or somewhere similar.

Question 2.......Yak fishers opt for yak fishing by the majority due to its lack of cost (under 2k compared to a 5m boat with outboard being a min of about 20k) and now these guys will be hit with the $90 snapper fee just in case they score a few for the yr.

Question 3........Why not fess up and call it what it is, a FISHING LICENCE!!!

I have no problem with a fishing licence for all of our fishing but I have a great deal of anger over a licence to catch one popular species.
    Most other states have a licence system that works well and is accepted yet Bligh the dumb leader, chooses to alienate everyone by discrimination.
    Jack.

Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

I have combined a number of threads started today.

Regards Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here