Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Re: East Coast Snapper ban now in place!!!!

Its like watching a big black cloud slowly approaching

so I drive the extra half hour to tweed, motor up to my marks, I can keep more fish (nsw) , back to tweed and home

no wonder we are the smart state, we got the intelegent people running it

can't exactly remember the last time I caught a snapper in feb/ march??

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    How did they come up with the 415 tonnes for recreational sector? Is it a guesstimate of registered boats in qld x catch limit per day x weather permitting fishing days per year x average snapper weight? (then adding a bit for any unregistered boats or kayaks ) Or they get that data from somewhere legit?
    Its estimated from modelling. This is the only way to do it because rec fisho's refuse to participate in surveys..

BTW, this one is not green driven, its a result of DPI management of the fishery. This is the correct way to manage the fishery, its just a shame that rec refuse to participate so we can get some real figures.

Merry Xmas !!!!!

Re: Snapper Closed Season Now A Reality

Is a closed season such a bad thing? lots of species have a closed season, for a variety of reasons for both pro and rec fishers, if it increases stocks, then so be it, we cant have verything our way, we bleat and moan, ban the pros, stop this or that, but when someone wants to have a closed season on a certain species and it affects us, then it is a stupid idea! now before I get flamed, most know I am from NSW and it does not impact me (yet) but if there is proof (after some time) that fish stocks have improved, then it is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna View Post
    so I drive the extra half hour to tweed, motor up to my marks, I can keep more fish (nsw) , back to tweed and home

no wonder we are the smart state, we got the intelegent people running it

can't exactly remember the last time I caught a snapper in feb/ march??

That only the initial immediate closure, once they have decided exactley how they are going to screw us you can bet the closures' won't be in Feb/March, more likley May/June/July.

not looking good, how are all those with nice new 100K big fishing boats feeling

VS

another Bligh Govt shot in the dark when they have no idea..just penalise people again..green zones..now this.

What will the LNP do if they win Govt at the next election?

Re: Snapper Closed Season Now A Reality

As the lump has indicated, I cant see it having a huge impact on my snapper fishing. I more worried about whats next.....

Have your say on the future management of snapper

Today, Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland Tim Mulherin announced a six week interim closure to help reduce fishing pressure on Queensland’s overfished snapper stock. The closure will be put in place along the Queensland east coast early next year making snapper, teraglin and pearl perch off limits until new management arrangements can be finalised.
    The interim closure from 15 February to 31 March 2011 is immediate action to protect and rebuild snapper stocks.
    The interim closure applies to all sectors
    – commercial, recreational and charter.
    Snapper, teraglin and pearl perch should not be targeted during this time and if incidentally caught should be returned to the water immediately.
    Minister Mulherin's
    full statement is at http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/St....aspx?id=72979
    In addition to the interim closure, the Queensland Government is reviewing fishing rules for the Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery.
    A Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) has been released for public comment which outlines a number of options for managing this fishery, and in particular the take of snapper. It is available at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_19696.htm
    Each sector is encouraged to have their say now about the different combinations to manage snapper effectively.
    The RIS consultation document and response form is now available for download at
    www.fisheries.qld.gov.au Copies of the RIS will be direct mailed to stakeholders over the next few weeks.
    A series of information sessions will also be held from Mackay to the New South Wales border where stakeholders are encouraged to provide feedback with dates available on the fisheries website or in the front of the RIS document. The closing date for comment on this RIS is at 5pm on 28 February 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
    [/b]

That only the initial immediate closure, once they have decided exactley how they are going to screw us you can bet the closures' won't be in Feb/March, more likley May/June/July.

not looking good, how are all those with nice new 100K big fishing boats feeling

VS
    Great, don't want to buy one do you?

just have to take it back home to Evans Head and fish there

cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Just received a copy of the RIS.

The four options are listed on page 12.

Option 1
    • 260 tonne notional TAC
    • vessel-based permit
    • mandatory logbook with web-based lodgement
    • six-week closure to take of snapper, pearl perch and teraglin
    • biennial snapper catch and effort survey
    • permit fee – $90 per annum.

Option 2
    • 260 tonne notional TAC
    • vessel-based permit
    • voluntary logbook including the option ofweb-based reporting
    • permit fee – $70 per annum.

Option 3
    • 260 tonne notional TAC
    • reduce snapper bag limit to two
    • two-month closure to take of snapper
    • estimates of snapper catch determined through existing statewide recreational fishing surveys conducted every four to five years

Option 4
    • four-month closure to the take of snapper – either in one block or in a
    number of smaller blocks
    • estimates of snapper catch determined through existing
    statewide recreational fishing surveys conducted every four to
    five years.

Please note that the suggested fee is per boat not per angler.

Option 2 is my personal choice but I am not happy with the fee. Surely the State Government can find $750,000 to fund the reporting and monitoring without stinging the boat owner.

Open for discussion.

Cheers
    Barry

Re: Snapper Ban!!

jeez eh 6 weeks and it will save the species!!!
    Next the bag limit will be 1 I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    Just received a copy of the RIS.

The four options are listed on page 12.

Option 1
    • 260 tonne notional TAC
    • vessel-based permit
    • mandatory logbook with web-based lodgement
    • permit fee – $90 per annum.

Option 2
    • 260 tonne notional TAC
    • vessel-based permit
    • voluntary logbook including the option ofweb-based reporting
    • permit fee – $70 per annum.

Option 3
    • 260 tonne notional TAC
    • reduce snapper bag limit to two
    • two-month closure to take of snapper
    • estimates of snapper catch determined through existing statewide recreational fishing surveys conducted every four to five years

Option 4
    • four-month closure to the take of snapper – either in one block or in a
    number of smaller blocks
    • estimates of snapper catch determined through existing
    five years.

Please note that the suggested fee is per boat not per angler.

Option 2 is my personal choice but I am not happy with the fee. Surely the State Government can find $750,000 to fund the reporting and monitoring without stinging the boat owner.

Open for discussion.

Cheers
    Barry
    I would like to highligh this part:

estimates of snapper catch determined through existing
    five years

Just scanned the RIS.

Option 1:
    6 week closure REC ONLY.
    $90 per boat fee, NOT NEGOTIABLE.
    TAC 260t.
    Pro and Charter have NO CLOSURE, JUST A TAC. WHAT'S SO BLOODY SPECIAL ABOUT THEM?

Option 2:
    Same as 1 above, but $70, and not compulsory reporting.
    TAC 260t
    Pro and Charter have NO CLOSURE, JUST A TAC. WHAT'S SO BLOODY SPECIAL ABOUT THEM?

Option 3:
    2 month closure REC ONLY, between June and October.
    Bag Limit 2.

Option 4:
    4 month closure for all sectors, spread through the year.

Extended bag limits for Charter on long trips are gone in all options.

No guesses what the Charter and Pro Sectors would like. Rec closures just make them giggle. So for me? Option 4. If Recs can't fish, no one can. Anything else is a gross inequity. And what will happen to supporting Businesses? Seems Anna Sly doesn't give a Tinkers Cuss about that.

The real option is go use some of the $millions we hand you you incompetent BITCH, and get some real Science. But you can't afford that because you are so busy wasting money on other things that mean nothing to anyone. At the moment we are being hit with crap that we know is inaccurate, and then being asked to obey. NOT THIS LITTLE BLACK DUCK!

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.