Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Re: Queensland Snapper Ban and RIS released.

Hyperthetically if we combined a closure of our own, were able to totally stop Snapper fishing for four months, then asked the DPI to conduct another test to see if we had a positive effect on fish popuilations, what do you think the result would be? 10 percent? 20?
    I -doubt there will be any change if any. DPI will come up with some lame reason such as not enough internal resource to conduct adequate testing and not enough data to establish a base line. HELLO? What have we been trying to tell you guys? Drastic measures in drastic times but somehow I think we already know six weeks or four months aint gonna do diddly for our fishery so they will just keep extending it. Look at environmental issues closer and stop scape goating the fishing community who hold the only key.... NOT!

Scalem

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading all of the posts on this topic, and one thing that is bleeding obvious 99.9% of us don’t agree with their science, or their suggested solutions.
    So where to from here, bend over and take it in the backside or do something, anything…........
    If a rally was organised to vent out anger and disgust, just how many of us would turn up, seriously how many. Yes, the regular’s would be there (the ones who have attended past rallies). Typically most of us leave it for the other person to fight out battles, and that’s the problem “APATHY”…….

Unless we ALL get off our backsides and all do something your just gonna have the sit back and take what you’re given like it or NOT…..
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

I have kept quiet on this as most people would know I am agreeing with the majority. Notice how all their fishing answers come around Christmas or another major holiday period (Easter). They then go away for their break for 2 months then hope people have forgotten on their return.

Bruce - you are right re: a rally/protest. Its not this group but the mainstream public that need to be involved. It would take about a month to get advertising and there is simply no funding in any group to do this.

In the meantime keep flooding the papers, the radios and the internet sites. Its free and might just strike enough chords out in the general population.
    Cheers,
    Chris

sorry Bruce but a rally is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    sorry Bruce but a rally is a waste of time.
    In your humble opinion, Greg!

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

With an election in 2012, it's the perfect springboard for something, or some one.

who or what is the $69 question Mike. :/
    Cheers,
    Chris

Tim..for all the ALP failings and there are many..not one person in the LNP strikes me as being comptetent to be in Governent and that is a sad state of affairs.
    And yet for all there percieved lack of experience do you really believe that any ( and i do mean any) of the LNP members could be as incompetent as Labour Ministers .. Stephen Robinson, Paul Lucas, Judy Spence, Robert Schwarten... etc!!

About the only one who appears to be ontop of things is Andrew Fraser but the fact that he's such a smarmy up himself little smart arse he also rules himself out!!

Ian

Ps. Gordon Nutall seemed to be able to organise himself some benifits and maybe if he had used that ability for good???
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Ian, your a sensible bloke apart from being wall eyed about cats...

LNP are as incompetent as the ALP the issue? well they havent had a chance to screw it up for a long while as they have been so incompetent in opposition they couldnt walk it in last election, your just hoping against all logic that they surely cant be as bad as labour,, they will only get in after everyone has completely given up on Labour, ie cant win govt on policy or passion, but on Labour self impolding, doesnt give me any great confidence in their competence,

any party which just waits passively, meekly for the other party to self destruct abrogates any sense of policy or right to a mandate as its about give us a go, we cant be as bad as the last lot? well thats just gutless,

So to the question, surely they cant be so incompetent as labour, well? i reckon they will romp it in, just give them govt and 6 -12 months and we will be having the same conversation about the Liberal Party, but will they care,, Nope as they will have the power,,,

its aint about being the best govt, its about being in power,,
    Tangles KFC

Those of us that partisipated in the first round of "public CONsultation" will now be well and truly aware that the government anf fisheries department have and had no intention what so ever of listening to one single thing that was said.

They are conducting "public CONsultation" only because federal law requires it.

Back in the first round, I drew attention to the rediculously low sample rate that the recreational effort figures are bassed on.....the sample rate works out to less than 1 % of less than 1% of the population.....and I can tell you I have never seen a scientific process that can produce an accurate result at that sort of sample rate.....the possible errors in the survey method are orders of magnitude greater than the sample rate.... but many of you already know the recreational effort figures are worse than a bad guess.

NOW SOME NEW FACTS.
    I have just finished reading " Harbours and Marine Queensland 1824 -1985"
    Published by the QLD government.......many would find this booring..... but is gives a period by period discription about just about everthing that relates to QLD waters in that period......Including fisheries.

Now these guys are doing modeling bassed on "all the past fisheries science" and thay purport to produce an accurate figure for the virgin biomas.

Now I can tell you from the comentry.......there was diddly squat fisheries science that possibly applies to sustainability done before 1960.

Untill, Erny Grant started his fish identification project...... they knew buger all about what fish lived in QLD waters.... less still about their populations and life style.

In the past there were various catch reporting schemes for registered pro fishermen...... but it is known and there are documented comments that Un licenced and therfore undocumented professional fishing was rife during various periods. Likewise wide spread noncompliance in every area of fisheries regulaton was the norm untill the 70's and 80's......so any figures on anything prior to the 80's are probaly dodgy as hell anyway.

Untill the 60's, the staffing and resources of the fisheries department was very low..... many of the inspectors had other more important other jobs...and even in the 60's you could have counted the research staff on 1 hand.....and then much of the research was about commercial exploitation...... not sustainability.

So when these guys say they have any idea of the history of our fishery and can model this or that and project the virgin boimass.

They are kidding.

At least back in the 60's and before, the inspectors and researchers went and looked, and asked questions of those who knew.

When they pull out all this modeling.......all the input figures are fataly flawed and have very high levels of error.

And these models.....what biosystem are these models bassed on and how are they proven?

I doubt very much that any of the "science" could stand up to any sort of scrutiny.

This whole thing is bassed on worse than a guess.

As for the options or choices........this is a shell & pea game.....none of the choices are acceptable.

If they were honest, and realy considered the recreational angler......even on reasonable suspicion of a poor condition of snapper stocks.

A yearly closure for everybody for a nomonal period during the peak spawing period with no licences or fees would be reasonable.

But no...they want to attach all this BULL$##T to something that should otherwise be a bit of a pain but tolerable.

Say what you likem about the conservative side but one thing is for sure, labour does not consider the opinion of the electors in much at all, they will persue their agenda at all costs.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    In your humble opinion, Greg!

Tim
    I have been to 4 rallies Tim...and Chris did a marvellous job organising three of them and the other was regarding the closure off fraser.

The reason they achieved bugger all..the pathy of the rec fishos.
    Want to see some pics of the on water rally...all brilliantly organised..had an MP present at the the park at Breakfast Creek..water police for the flotille run up the river etc..some new coverage...and how many boats were there? maxium of 50 turned up.

The convoy from Gympie to Brisbane...culminating in the rally at Clontarf..maximum 100 to 150 people there...no one turns up at these..always somethign else to do...do you really think pollies will take notice of those paltry figures. i reckon you would get more people at a CWA cake competition.

When rec anglers get off theor butts and turn out in big numbers then there may be something beneficial come from them..until that happens..forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    And yet for all there percieved lack of experience do you really believe that any ( and i do mean any) of the LNP members could be as incompetent as Labour Ministers .. Stephen Robinson, Paul Lucas, Judy Spence, Robert Schwarten... etc!!

About the only one who appears to be ontop of things is Andrew Fraser but the fact that he's such a smarmy up himself little smart arse he also rules himself out!!

Ian

Ps. Gordon Nutall seemed to be able to organise himself some benifits and maybe if he had used that ability for good???
    Ian..if the LNP want any chance of Govt..they need to be out there with their policies...not just naysaying everything the ALP does..policies..complete policies.

Ian..if the LNP want any chance of Govt..they need to be out there with their policies...not just naysaying everything the ALP does..policies..complete policies.
    And policies they'll stick to.
    I'm sick of all the policy changes once in power.
    There's always an excuse.
    Excuses never worked for me when I didn't do my homework in grade 10 so why should they work for politicians?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I'm just waiting for Julian to release the wikileak into this fiasco !

Policies backed up with a strong voice and a ramrod straight backbone. Labor have done their bit; screwed things up. I daresay if Rob Messenger gets his way with some info from Mr Nutall, there well could be another Fiztgerald type of inquiry.....maybe.

But any opposition in my opinion want longevity, they need to be strong leaders of the people and be out with the them with their alternative policies now and gathering support.

The BIG issue is the debt the opposition will inherit if they win the election, it will ensure a lot of the increases in costs will most likely stay put; and that won't be good for a lot of financially pressured voters.

Maybe an Independent or two in Government for a term or two will be a good thing to even the score???
    Cheers,
    Chris