Thread: Cairns Reports??

Cairns Reports??

anyone head out over the weekend? any good?

Was roped into camping in the rain, so missed out on the good weather...

Re: Cairns Reports??

My brother went out Friday night.

Only managed half a dozen or so fish with one red about 20lb. Missed 6 macs the next morning so was not impressed.

Me, I hit the piss instead on the weekend, so fishing was out.

Pazz

We (DaintreeBoy and his missus, my brother and his missus and I) went out from the Daintree saturday morning - could not have asked for better weather - under 10knots all day and the sea was dead flat and we came home before the rain came in.

Started early and tried for some Largies (nannygai) - got one up out of about 5 shots - with the missed fish costing us - putting the others off the bite. The one we got was decent at about 4-5kg.

From there it was fairly slow going and we covered a fair bit of ground. Ended up with a decent mixed bag - 11 trout, 1 spanish, 1 small sharkie mack, 2 spangled, 1 Reef jack (smallest i've ever seen out the reef...), the 1 largie, and a handful of gold spot trevally that always go down well for fishburgers after the trip (though i will always give Daintreeboy heaps for wanting to keep them (and make him fillet them to boot!)

We also got onto some small striped tuna that provided a bit of fun and some good bait and the ever present mack tuna as well. Could have spent hours playing with them if we wanted - there were lots of them about.

Other than the keepers I also got a solid 11kg GT up from our Red spot that had me thinking i had my monster red for a little while - but when it started moving about too much it was clear it wasn't going to be.

Good day all up - with the fishing about par for what we expected this time of year but the weather much better than anticipated.

Moffy.

fished king point sunday morning. Got one mac, two trevally...8kg was the biggest, bricked once and poured upon by a storm...the weather improved at about 9am and the fishing dropped off...really disapointed with the weather, wanted to head off shore but it was lightning all morning (4am ish) and rain all over the 128km radar...

Put in half a day on Saturday for 5 Spanish, 6 trout and a red throat, not to bad for half a day, bloody hell it was hot, and not a breath of wind. Hopefully the fishing will be a bit better Friday nite.

Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

Not bad at all megafish! how's ya verado going? we have around 850hrs on our 2005 250hp, still impresses us and all on board.

Moffy, thats why i sometimes hate taking out a couple of newby's, if they dick around and loose a couple of good fish it tends to send the rest of the school off. Trout fishing doesn't appear to have these issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by chop duster View Post
    Moffy, thats why i sometimes hate taking out a couple of newby's, if they dick around and loose a couple of good fish it tends to send the rest of the school off. Trout fishing doesn't appear to have these issues though.
    sometimes.. - but this trip it was Daintreeboy and I who dropped the decent fish - his missus on her first trip in a year was the only one to get one to the boat.......at least she didn't catch it on "Barbie" (her pink rod that famously outfishes every outfit in the boat usually.)

yer we have something similar called the 'blue bandit'. No maintenance required just fish...

Quote Originally Posted by chop duster View Post
    Not bad at all megafish! how's ya verado going? we have around 850hrs on our 2005 250hp, still impresses us and all on board.
    The Verado is running sweet, it still impresses me and anyone new I take out with me. Slipped out for a nite trip on Friday, was a bit slow and the bloody sharks found us a few times, managed to scrape up 7 red emperor, 5 large mouth, 2 reef jacks a pile of spangleds a couple of trout and 2 spanish. Plenty of bloody big red bass around too, lost count of how many of those buggers were caught. The weather was the best I have seen it in a long time. How did you go get out over the weekend?

Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Come on Ron, a bit slow, now you're just blatantly boasting!

I got out Sat nite for a mix of Red Emp, Spangled Emp, Green Jobfish, Reef Jack, Darktail Seaperch, Cobia, Turrum, Golden Trevally, Red Bass, Chinamen, Moses Perch, Barracuda etc. Couple of sharks but they weren't too bad.

We went out on Friday night, left Cooktown at about 7.00 and got to our mark at about 8 15 pm. We landed a heap of fish after what we thought was going to be a long night as our first drop accounted for nothing but fish heads from the sharks.

Best fish included a few 85 - 88cm Large Mouth Nannie and one decent Red Emperor around 9 kilo.

We released 17 big reef Jacks from one patch that we drifted over a few times.

I have never seen so many sharks though and the bastards put a real dampener on things.

Cheers,
    Nick Stock

Quote Originally Posted by nickstock View Post
    We went out on Friday night, left Cooktown at about 7.00 and got to our mark at about 8 15 pm. We landed a heap of fish after what we thought was going to be a long night as our first drop accounted for nothing but fish heads from the sharks.

Best fish included a few 85 - 88cm Large Mouth Nannie and one decent Red Emperor around 9 kilo.

We released 17 big reef Jacks from one patch that we drifted over a few times.

I have never seen so many sharks though and the bastards put a real dampener on things.

Cheers,
    Nick Stock
    Hey Nick

I know exactly what you mean re the sharks. They have been very thick out here of late too. Well especially where I'm fishing. Never seen them this bad.

Don't know why they are so thick, seems strange.

Pazz

Anybody been out over the xmas period?

I managed one trip that was not worth reporting. Got absolutely hammered by sharks again. Had a heap circling the boat at one stage.

Managed to catch a big maori wrasse, that was too big for the shark chasing it to eat. Beautiful fish, so was released unharmed.

Other than that, pretty disappointing, did I mention I hate sharks?

Pazz

Just about to move to Cairns (Got a Teaching job there) and was wondering what gear I should buy for the estuary and reef.

I have a Haines 485SF and use lures, plastics and bait.

Looking at buying a spin outfit and baitcast outfit for the estuary.

Spin & overhead for the reefs.

Rod size, reel size, braid weight and leader weight advice would be great guys, as I have been a flathead/bream fisherman on the goldy for the past 5 years and don't know much about the fishing up North.

PM me with any help!

Cheers, Break
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

Headed out on Saturday arvo, for a quick spear and night fish.
    Visibility at Sudbury was terrible, managed a couple of trout each.
    had a quick bottom bash for trout before sundown, pulled in bout 4 or so decent trout (70cm best) and mixed reefies, before the sharks had a feed.
    Night fishing didn't bring too much fruit, 8 large mouth and plenty of bite offs.

Wind was blowing 15-20 all day with slight drops every now and again. Was chased home by a 35knott squall from the south and horizontal rain, no lightning this time (for a change...)

Plenty of debree floating around out there, wacked something in the pitch black doing about 17knotts, thankfully no damage done. But for others thinking of heading out at night, just be aware, there are some good size logs and whatever else floating around at the moment.