Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polarized Sunglasses

Polarized Sunglasses

OK - This subject has probably been done to death but here we go again .

After having my last pair of sunglasses knicked - I need to buy a replacement pair ......
    So here is the question - Has anyone found sunglasses that they rate better than Spotters penetrators ?

My last pair were Spotters & I honestly felt that they were over priced & over rated ......... so I'm now looking at better alternatives
    I found mako's pretty good ....... but interested in opinions on Serengeti , Maui Jims , Costa del mars , Hi def spex and others ...... particularly if you have directly compared them to Spotters

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Polarized Sunglasses

Black Ice, polarised, light, chemist, <$20

Serengeti in the driver lenes are the best I have had out of spotters, makos, smith optics.
    The below is a place I have used many times. myself and a few mates normally get together an order them 4-8 at a time and we all fish and all have found them to be the best. but just my thoughts

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Fields-Sun...=p4634.c0.m322

I have had both Maui Jim and Spotters and my preference would be for the Maui Jims by far.

I've got dirty dogs polarised and dont leave home without them.
    pickers

I use perscription lens and got a set made up by dazza on this sight and they are awesome for casting lures late into the afternoon . I seem to have my sunnies on for about 20 minutes longer than other people as the sun is going down . This is great for spotting a small boil , shaddow or something out of the ordinary behind your lure in one of the best strike times when lure casting.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by krazyfisher View Post
    Serengeti in the driver lenes are the best I have had out of spotters, makos, smith optics.
    The below is a place I have used many times. myself and a few mates normally get together an order them 4-8 at a time and we all fish and all have found them to be the best. but just my thoughts

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Fields-Sun...=p4634.c0.m322

I have a pair of Serengeti Titaniums - very good optics but they are not polarized ( I use them for driving or general)
    I certainly will look at the Serengeti drivers (photochromic & polarized) I have never heard a bad thing about them

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by rat_catcher View Post
    I have had both Maui Jim and Spotters and my preference would be for the Maui Jims by far.
    Thanks rat ...... what makes the MJs better ?

I found there was distortion with the Spotters ........ Even my very first pair of spotters , years ago were not as good optically as makos

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    I use perscription lens and got a set made up by dazza on this sight and they are awesome for casting lures late into the afternoon . I seem to have my sunnies on for about 20 minutes longer than other people as the sun is going down . This is great for spotting a small boil , shaddow or something out of the ordinary behind your lure in one of the best strike times when lure casting.

Scott
    thats the big plus of photochromic lenses .... a must I reckon
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I use script lenses in my sunnies. After many tries to get a good pair, none of them come close to Spotters. Might be a bit different for those that can buy 'off the shelf'. I just wish the usual optical dispensers could get their act together and produce a pair of normal glasses that reproduced the script as well as the spotters people do with their sunnies.

I might be wrong here but if you are getting scripts for your sunnies, then you are paying for the frame name....the lenses are suppilied by whoever the dispenser gets his lenses from. Maybe Darren can clear this up.

NEVER get the Drivesafe lenses offered by OPSM...they are the greatest load of crap I have ever come accross................I have never felt so ripped off in my life.

After recently sitting on another set of mako's i swore i;d look after i've finally realised something.

Every single company selling every single thing all around the world would just love to charge 10 times the price for nothing extra. Only when it comes to apparal are people so easily duped by marketing.

Vuarnet in the appropriate lens if you want them for on the water/fishing.
    You may have to import them from the US or France; Ebay/PayPal are your friends. Great sunnies!

Hi Nagg
    I will go against the trend a little here; i have found nothing better than the Spotters. Currently i am using Maui Jim's and have been a little disappointed. They are optically good but there is huge colour distortion with them especially red and green colours. I miss the photochromic ability of the spotters in low light and in a driving situation. Driving especially on those days when sun showers or dull / bright situations occur. My Maui Jim's are the kahuna model; great frames, great design but not photochromic and do not give accurate contrast and colour representation at all. I guess there are different models in all brands to choose from all doing a different job, be careful in your selection when spending this much money.
    For what it is worth when i fish i use a polycarbonate lens from Barzz optics which are polarised with non polarised reading lenses so i can read my digital / LCD readout on the sounder and GPS. They have been just great, very light with wrap around style and frames that hug the side of your head eliminating the need for a lanyard to secure them. If i have to replace then at 12 monthly intervals i will at the price they can be purchased.
    Regards to all Dick

I prefer my PenetratorSpotters as I spend a lot of work time moving from light to dark areas and the photochromatic system in them works well. I have also spent a fair bit of time wearing Makos, Maui Jims , Costa Del Mars and nonpenetrator Spotters. I am used to the Penetrators so feel most comfortable with them but also highly rate the Mauis and Costas.
    My Brother has tried them all and likes the Makos best so I think everyone has a different perception and shape, weight and style probably are just as important as lens properties
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks Horse & Sevric -

I went from Makos (Barra 2s) to Spotter penetrators and actually felt that the photochromic ability of the Makos were better ...... I certainly could wear the Makos longer in low light situations - and as mentioned I found that the Spotters distorted (peripherally).
    I guess I really got a good comparison in the quality of the optics when I finished fishing - took my Spotters off and put on my Serengeti's ....... The Serengetis were noticably better. ... but they are just standard lenses (non polarized / photochromic)

I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for when you buy sunglasses but at $290 RRP for Spotters ...... I reckon there just might be better choices for that coin
    Then I just need to get into the habit of not leaving them in places where they can be easily picked up

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO