Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with hooks....

Re: Help with hooks....

I have just re rigged a couple of my lures with Roddy Hays hooks, I like the shape and the hook point is that shape I spend ages filing my 7691S into anyway.

One I ran on Thursday on the shelf went 2 for 2 on mahi Mahi and Yellowfin. 9/0 in a 10.5 lure.

I can't find anything else that is fine and strong enough really for heavy tackle.

I really like the SL12's for light tackle, they are cheap enough to throw out if you don't wear them out on fish. Otherwise I run LGS's and Maruto's for stainless in my light lures. I hace never missed a fish on the little Dojo hooks in the rigged Uzi and Fluzi's I have bought either.

Cheers,
    Myles

For light tackle I am going off SL12s. I am trailing a few SS patterns and using all the stuff on the BCF Tsunamis I bought a while ago.

The thinking on stainless steel hooks is the same as all these Gen Y kids you see getting around with strange piercings in strange places. Doesn't do them any harm, why would it harm a fish. A ferric hook on the other hand has the potential to create ulcers as it breaks down. Eventully they will shed them like us drawing a splinter to the surface but is that any good to them?

I went off the SL12s too Smithy for a while and went to all stainless hooks of a heavier guage (LGS, Maruto). I am thinking of going back to them just for their fine guage and sharpness for light tackle Marlin fishing. They do stick well, but you can't give them too much curry or they straighten or break. All good if you don't want, or need to leader a fish to tag.

Is that why you have gone away from them, or is it just the non stainless part and having to re rig all the time?

The LGS are my favourite in the small hooks(7/0 etc), if you can find old stock somewhere, the new version of them (the Z steel) looks damn near the same. They aint cheap either though.

Lots of choice out there these days too.

Catch ya

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    I have just re rigged a couple of my lures with Roddy Hays hooks, I like the shape and the hook point is that shape I spend ages filing my 7691S into anyway.

One I ran on Thursday on the shelf went 2 for 2 on mahi Mahi and Yellowfin. 9/0 in a 10.5 lure.

I can't find anything else that is fine and strong enough really for heavy tackle.

I really like the SL12's for light tackle, they are cheap enough to throw out if you don't wear them out on fish. Otherwise I run LGS's and Maruto's for stainless in my light lures. I hace never missed a fish on the little Dojo hooks in the rigged Uzi and Fluzi's I have bought either.

Cheers,
    Myles
    where abouts did u get the yellow fin???
    The Roddy hays hooks look good....

Noosa Canyons.

Yeah I like the look of the Hays hooks, they are nice and sharp out of the box too. Yet to catch a Blue on one, it was the first run with one the other day, but the hook ups were good on the bycatch.
    They are a proven hook elsewhere in the world, and at 8 bucks ea for 9/0's they are good I reckon.

Cheers,
    Myles

Myles,

I can't really tell one way or the other on the hookup rate. It is just generally bad on lures compared to other methods so then yes, it becomes a re-rigging issue and you might as well go SS. Certainly my A-Team tournament stuff is SL12s unused for tournament fishing but once used, just charter or rec fishing till it goes black. Once black it is in the bin.

Sounds fair mate. They stay sharp for a surprisingly long time I reckon. I have heard people talk about them losing their points after a day of trolling, but I haven't had that. When run on that .022 gal wire rig they last for ages. Must be the gal wire acting as an anode. Same for me, once the wire goes black, if it hasn't caught fish I cut it off and chuck em. Otherwise just on condition if they have been hooked up.