Thread: Goldie Charter - Kingies & Trag Today

Goldie Charter - Kingies & Trag Today

Well I almost gave it away until after Xmas but Matt on FTD wetted my appetite when he said the kingies were still around - and ONLY the bigger ones.

Full day charter with FTD today and only six clients on board. Livies were hard to get but we got enough after an hour of messing around and in sloppy seas headed out to the 50's+ at around 15knots due to the huge swells.

Fishing 3 a side our first drop got 5 hookups but only one Kingie boated. After that we continued to get hit every drift until we stopped at our bag limit. All kingies were a good size - no rats and all taken on livies, some floatlines on 2oz ball sinkers but most on dropper rigs with 16oz of lead. The current was 3.5 knots so Matt had to back up most of the time. Each fish fought like hell! and I think the smallest would have been 6kg and the biggest around 15kg.

Late morning we went for a troll to see if any Mahi Mahi were around, but then back to bottom fishing for big Trag on the 50's. Another personal bag out but time was running out and most of the clients didn't want the Trag.

We called it a day at 2.20 and headed in at a better speed.
    Wind and rain squalls hit us all day. No Swearing (except when we heard the cricket score) and as usual a great day out with Fish The Deep.
    Well done Matt and AJ.
    Plato
    PS: Rosco - I got the Kingies with my name on it and another the same size. Sorry I couldn't hold them up very well - its my age!

Re: Goldie Charter - Kingies & Trag Today

Nice work Plato.

What size is that Cougar Cat? Is he running twin F300's or F350's.

It would be a sweet boat with those big boys on the back.

The Cougar Cat is 11m and I believe (but dont know) the engines are 250's not 300's or 350's.
    Perhaps Matt can comment?
    Cheers
    Plato

well done pete,am glad u finally got the one u where after,thinking bout doing a trip out soon...i have kieren next week for the holidays so i will see what the weather is doing..

whatscracken it has 250s on it.

Top work Plato, I have been dying to get out.

You make me so jealous.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Well done Pete, you look pretty happy with your efforts there. Bloody good quality thats for sure. Looks like Matt and AJ have found the motherlode of big kings.

The conditions certainly look ordinary, fortune favours the brave.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Tim & Matt; Good to hear from you.
    24 miles out!!! We would have been airborne at least 30 times going out, hence the slow progress. Anyway, hopefully the weather will settle soon and we might convince Matt to give the 50's a 'summer go' even though the currents are usually so strong. Oh yes and we got drenched several times during the day.
    Each Kingy yielded at least 10 good sized fillets so I wont need to keep any next time out and 20 fillets will feed my household for about 2 months combined with everything else in the freezer - LOL
    Take care
    Plato
    PS: Dont know about being brave - stupid maybe but it paid off