Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Cat bites the dust

Another Cat bites the dust

Here is one for all you cat lovers and haters.
    At around 1am Saturday morning 3 guys aboard a 9m Cat (Kevlacat with twin 300 Suzies I believe) went down at Grub reef off Townsville.

The weather on the weekend was 5-10kn variables and it was flat as a tack at the reef.

Apparently they were anchored for the night off Grub when they awoke to find the boat listing. They bailed just before it capsized and didnt even have time to grab the EPIRB. They then spent about 2 hrs swimming in the dark on the reef before getting to another boat in the area. All 3 were in good condition but it is yet to be told exactly what happened.
    Apparently the only thing preventing the boat sinking completely was a trapped air pocket- positive floatation???? It was salvaged yesterday off Wheeler reef so was obviously not grounded.

Re: Another Cat bites the dust

I guess if a boat is sinking, it makes no difference what sort of boat it is, plenty of big ships sink too, when a boat is full of water it is no longer a boat! it is just a pile of fibreglass/steel/aluminium/wood that is no longer water tight (for whatever reason)

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...0121_news.html

The article from the townsville bulletin.

Jesus it would be scary having to swim to another boat. Lucky there was another boat in the area to start with. Sometimes when I'm out at night I'm lucky to see a light in the distance. Usually no one around. I wouldn't like my chances swimming in 80 metres of water.

Pazz

thanks for the report camhawk, just goes to show it can happen to anyone no matter what size boat.

cheers from boon
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

thanks for the report camhawk, just goes to show it can happen to anyone no matter what size boat.

cheers from boon
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Be interesting to find out what caused it to go under!!

Luc

Yeah that would take alot to get over if you ever did get over it. Like Pazz said your'e lucky to see another boat in the area your fishing at night so they were very lucky. Stuff that i struggle going to sleep at night on the boat now without reading this!! Poor buggers...

Probably caused by their inability to handle the NQ chop.

Sorry had to throw that one in. Needed a laugh after today's cricket effort.

Steve

Good thing about cats is that when they flip over u get to lay down and get a tan between the hulls.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Cats ...... and I've fished out of a few - dont give a whole lot confidence (except for 2 motors) .
    not that this has anything to do with the topic - I just like getting up my old mates nose when he tells me how good his Sailfish is

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Probably caused by their inability to handle the NQ chop.

Sorry had to throw that one in. Needed a laugh after today's cricket effort.

Steve
    Yes that would be my guess except it was flat as a tack.
    Oh and no mentioning of the C word again please- I have only just broken out of the foetal position.

Unfortunately for these fellas the boat all but sank- no moon bathing between the hulls for them. Luckily for them it was so calm that the reef resembled a parking lot all weekend- it is a wonder it took them 2 hrs to swim to another boat.

be interesting to see how one whole hull filled with water when they have seprate bulkheads that are sealed or supposed to be ??? i wonder where the water came in ?? through hull transducer ?? seems strange

Quote Originally Posted by julian1 View Post
    be interesting to see how one whole hull filled with water when they have seprate bulkheads that are sealed or supposed to be ??? i wonder where the water came in ?? through hull transducer ?? seems strange
    BUNGS??? Who knows-hopefully we will find out more cos it is certainly a strange one. I'd say MSQ will do an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    BUNGS??? Who knows-hopefully we will find out more cos it is certainly a strange one. I'd say MSQ will do an investigation.
    Kevlacats dont have bungs so cross that one off the list. Maybe they skimmed a half floating container on the way out and it fractured the hulls or the likes.

Will be interesting to hear the reason behind it.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Any skin fitting below the water line has the potential to sink a boat.I regularly check my bait tank drain skin fitting,if that one comes off it's 20mm straight in.Hose clamps come loose or just arn't done up tight.Good to hear they're safe.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF