Thread: new kayak choices

new kayak choices

Hello all,
    1st time I have posted here as I have never done the kayak think. But I am willing to give it a go - and am after a bit of advice from people who know more than me.
    We live backing onto a river in Townsville that has a healthy barra population so I am keen to get some sort of tandem kayak that I can throw lures from, but could also take one of the kids with me (4 and 6) for a paddle.
    I have to wheel the kayak by hand say 400m, and launch down a quite steep bank.
    The one I have been looking at is a Manta 3.0 from BCF. Its about $700 plus all the seats/paddles etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this kayak? any comments on its suitability to do what i am looking for?
    thanks for anyones help.

regards
    steve

Re: new kayak choices

tandems are a bitch to paddle solo and you will effectively be solo with kids that age, if you get a kayak with a reasonable well at the back or front the kids can sit in that. I would be looking at the Malibu range at bcf or ocean or Viking Kayaks as reasonably priced starters.

Hi Steve
    I have a viking 2+1 .There are 3 seating positions so you CAN take a little one in the middle but only if you dont have too far to go. I comfortably bass fish with another adult from it , and because of the centre position I can take it out solo loaded with pots etc . You do sit a little high from the centre.
    I have a sea tug trolley which is the ducks guts but a bit pricey. This is a heavy boat and dont recommend carrying it solo..
    A mate got a new single today and he saw some home made jobs where they had put a pipr through the keel and plastic welded the join. You can then throw an axle and quick release wheels thru it and store them in the hull. One brand may actually do this as standard?
    Cheers
    Brendan

As mentioned tandem yaks are a real pain in the arse on your own or with a person much lighter on the other end. The big guy works twice as hard.
    I would be opting for something like a 2nd hand Viking Profish for similar dollars to what you mentioned. They have a large well in both the fore deck and rear deck, one for gear and one for the kid. They will easily carry the two of you and be much easier to paddle, plus it has offshore capabilities as well.
    Jack.

i love yaks. but in your case id go for a canoe with a transom. get a small outboard. you can then paddle, or steam. plenty of room for all the gear, and safer for the youngster.

you then have an excuse to buy a solo yak for yourself.....