Thread: Best Mangrove Jack Baits, rigs or lures

Best Mangrove Jack Baits, rigs or lures

Ok

Its that time of year again when those hard fighting jacks start tearing apart your favourite lures, plastics or livies.

Come on, whats your best lure or rig for targeting these Mongrels of the mangroves.

Cheers

Re: Best Mangrove Jack Baits, rigs or lures

10kg braid, 40lb flourocarbon leader mustard big gun hook and a 10 to 15cm live mullet.. cant go wrong..

Braid -> running sinker (current dependent) -> swivel -> 40lb leader -> 5/0 hook.
    This is my favourite setup

20lb braid, 40lb leader, 3/0-5/0 hook and a live mullet for bait. Though up here we can be harrassed by barra this time of year, so will often end up going to slabs of mullet. Always have a small bag of pillies, again this time of year, mullet can be hard to get thank to all the rain and fresh in the system

for plasicts can't go past the 3" atomic prong in pumpkin seed

hardbodies, I like the flat rat in any colour (gold usually th go to, then 'ice tea'). Good lure, swap the hooks over to the thicker VMC 6X strongs and upgrade rings. Gets down nice a deep quickly and slowly floats back up. nice big bib to help bounce over the snags too.

6lbs braid 12lbs leader hook depends on what bait or plastic I use. The spot I catch em is on a sand bank adjacent to snags and they have never bricked me yet. Tis normally about a foot deep when the tide is right, maybe thats why I get away with the light gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    Braid -> running sinker (current dependent) -> swivel -> 40lb leader -> 5/0 hook.
    This is my favourite setup
    Tailorfisho78: I would recommend against doing the above, the sinker will eventually wear through the braid and you will lose your fish. Try to reduce the amount of knots/joins in your tackle as you want every bit of pulling power transferred to the hook.

I would recommend a live poddy or herring into some heavy snags and crank up your drag. If you do get bricked free spool immediately and try to ease it free, the minute you get some control skull drag it out! This was how I landed my PB jack.

Cheers
    Eug

Mate, remember to get your bait well into the mangroves. If your placement of bait is good you will get more jack hits. Three feet might be too far off. Also, don't plan what bait to use, the best bait will be whatever comes out of the cast net.

I just posted a vid in fishing vids that might help you. Good luck