Thread: Zero's on the Shelf, but got a feed on the way home.

Zero's on the Shelf, but got a feed on the way home.

Gday,
    Went out for a Heavy Tackle fishing day today, chasing Blue Marlin.

Couldn't find a Marlin of any description. Fished the shelf in 220m to 1200m, and spent a lot of time in the 280-245m type areas. Found some flying fish and dolphins, but the dolphins weren't feeding and just wanted to play around the boat and lures.
    I headed in to around 180m east of Deep Tempest and basically went from there to Hutchies and got a Mahi Mahi in about 130m East of the Cape, and then another in 50m about halfway between Flinders and Hutchies.

Got a double of little Yellowfin Tuna at the top of Hutchies and a nice Wahoo on the "Wahoo" ledge north of the shoal. By then it was 1800 and time to head for home after leaving the creek at 0500 On the pontoon and beer in hand by 1945.

Shame not to find a Marlin of some sort, but the day was saved by my normal "hutchies stopover" on the way home.

Thanks "TrueBlue" Mick and Tim for a good day out in somewhat trying conditions.

Cheers,
    Myles

Re: Zero's on the Shelf, but got a feed on the way home.

Thanks Midnight.

I knew about the who and mahi mahi out there but good news some yellowfin too - great stuff.

Last Sunday there must have been a gamefishing comp off Mooloolaba - we had a heap of boats go by us at Gneerings and all were troll set ups. Wonder how they went as most seemed to be heading for the Banks region.

We did some trolling at Gneerings and had one good hook up on a small jethead whilst doing 20kph, but the hook pulled after only about a minute.
    Cheers

Trev

Thanks very much for the day out Myles, fantastic day had by all.

Don't think I've ever been out before and not seen one other fishing boat anywhere? the sea state was amusing to say the least.

cheers

Mick

Plenty of flying fish out there, what time did you fella's head back in?

Myles, I hear there are a few blues being caught off the Sunny and Fraser Coasts.

Around the 200m mark.

Cheers
    Jim

Adds, we left Hutchies around 6pm, it had been a long,rough day by then.

Thanks Jim, yeah I have been told of a couple of boats efforts on their way back from Cairns, one going 4 from 5 off Fraser and one the other day 1 from 3 passing Noosa Canyons. The charts show to me that North is the go, but it was too ordinary on Friday to run all the way to Noosa Canyons from Shorncliffe

Hopefully they will move south with the current.

Cheers,
    Myles

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Adds, we left Hutchies around 6pm, it had been a long,rough day by then.

Thanks Jim, yeah I have been told of a couple of boats efforts on their way back from Cairns, one going 4 from 5 off Fraser and one the other day 1 from 3 passing Noosa Canyons. The charts show to me that North is the go, but it was too ordinary on Friday to run all the way to Noosa Canyons from Shornecliffe

Hopefully they will move south with the current.

Cheers,
    Myles
    Conditions were a bit how ya going, we were back through comby before change of tide,about 7 o'clock.

Where were you guys fishing? Were you guys ahead of us in the morning out through the Kianga? We never saw another boat all day.

Cheers,
    Myles

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Where were you guys fishing? Were you guys ahead of us in the morning out through the Kianga? We never saw another boat all day.

Cheers,
    Myles
    About the 90 to 120mt line near tempest. Were only out there for a quick afternoon fish. Wasn't us heading out through the kianga then.