• I only listen to the tides

5 7.69%
  • Have my own personal fishing log for each spot

2 3.08%
  • Just wing it

11 16.92%

Thread: Solar/Lunar fishing predictions

Solar/Lunar fishing predictions

Does anyone use them or even swear by them?

Just read a letter to and reply from Dick Lewers in the Sept 2010 Modern Fishing magazine. I got the distinct impression he doesn't think they are worth it as he did a test for a magazine years ago and the results were not favourable.

Re: Solar/Lunar fishing predictions

I don't use anything other than the tide charts, which only dictate where/when I should launch the boat, other than that I just wing it

Hi 4x4 Frog, TB magazine publishes these each second month and a few issues ago they had a complete story about the origins and use of these predictions. I aslo purchase a cheap book from the Post Office (AFN one) which has them also.

I check them now an then just for curiosity sakes. I dont really care what they say and go fishing anyways. My two best days over the winter season came on days when the said the fishing was poor on the major and minor bites. And even though these were poor, the times didn't even align when I was fishing.

Conversley, when the ratings were reasonable to good and bite times matched up when I was fishing I didn't go very well at all. This was only on two occassions also.

My belief is that you need tidal movement and dawn or dusk is the best time to fish. The common sense things of finding structure and bait (and hopefully fish) seems to be more effective than a bit period.

I reckon they are next to useless for catching a feed.

Regards Adam

Ol' Touchy used to swear by them and he did okay by using them.

I've tried working by them and found you can go out and smash the fish when it says "poor" and then go out when it says "good" and get jack sheet......go figure???
    I find it best to go by the tides and moon phases....no run..no fun and watch the barometre too....anything over 1015 and rising is when the reefy's will chew well and if it's below that go chase pelagics.
    pickers

All i worry about is the tides/moon and wind

I worry about:-

moon

tides

wind

rain

sunrise

sunset

bait

deckies

S.O.I.

Solunar %'s

traffic

fuel costs

work

any other commitments on the day I want to go fishing.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Phill mate ,
    you have to slow up a bit...you have to learn to switch off....

Have found one of the internet site setups to be pretty close to the money on their predictions in Hervey Bay area.

3 days to go on this one guys. Thanks for the input so far.

Thought there would be a few more replies by now.
    Spent 3 days in ICU{Prince Charles Hosp} after food poisoning so couldn't check in. No beer either until the anti-biotics are over

The lead up to tha moon 3ta 4 days prior barra go good,full moon its on! then they get a slight case of lock jaw until tha dark of tha moon well it seams to work for me!

Good poll mate - I've been using fishingreminder.com for a few years now and while it's been useful, the results are not conclusive.

The bite times look as though they are usually a couple of hours either side of the high/low tides, which means there's plenty of water movement where I fish, and that's probably an important factor.

I've had days where it's been right, and days where it's been wrong, and days where a school of reefies have shut down right on time after snapping their heads off for the two hours bite time predicted.

It's all good though - you can't have too much information, and the reality with my fishing is that I just get out when I can.

Thanks for the poll.

Mark