Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you about some tackle stores?

Re: Things that annoy you about some tackle stores?

To be honest I do not go into many tackle shops.

My rods last 30 years and an Alvey is just unbreakable and I get them from garbage sales.
    I make my own sinkers and when I buy hooks and swivels I buy by the hundreds.

About the only reason I go into tackle shops now-a-days is to buy a fishing licenses of some description.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

As someone mentioned earlier, i HATE ( and this is everywhere) when the person is having a good ol convo with another worker (most the time hving a bitch) while im just standing there... i run my own business and in younger days parents had business and this was a big no no.

also when they mark prices on special like $59 WAS $169... when u know the price was never $169... i believe i seen that on tv they are trying to crack down on that

Ben

Can I stick my neck out? Most of these posts are just the general winge about retail stores and service in general arnt they???

Nothin Ive read is specific to tackle stores.

Need to get out and fish I think
    Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I just thought. I should buy at the shops with no prices marked.
    I'll just give them some cash in an envelope and get them to guess how much is there.

Some people like to be asked as a memory jog if they require anything else,some people prefer to be left alone when in a store.

Now put yourself in the shoes of some poor old sales assistant who has all but a moment to figure out which type of personality he is dealing with.

A lot of larger stores these days monitor conversion rates ie number of people entering the store to number of sales,so as stated in a previous thread don't nark up the assistant he or she is doing what is expected of them in order to put there hand out each week for there pay.

For those who like to bag store staff for there inexperience, did it ever occur to possibly share your knowledge and experience with them to help them better serve in the future. I have worked almost my working life in direct sales ( rep / account manager ) and in all those years i have found my best teachers of product knowledge are my customers.

Thats my contribution for what its worth and i slight look into what its like on the other side of the counter for those who have to deal with the public on a daily basis.Dealing with so many people with varying personalities and expectations can be a real head knick.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Chain stores that replace knowledgeable senior staff with juniors to save a buck! - Which is why I am currently out of work.
    Second that one-- nothing worse than wanting to know something and the salesperson has no idea--- but then they all have to start somewhere.
    Going to a big store for catalogue item--- get raincheck-- check back a week later not in-- ask when and they tell me they have no idea. They have one at another store if i like to go and pick it up.

just going to specially get something and its not in.

waiting in line.

like the one about being invisible-- if the staff stopped chatting to each other the lines would be half as long.

Give me my old fashioned friendly store and the boys at outback Adventures anyday.

lol
    Ronnie

I hate when I go into some of the local tackle stores and the owner is to bussy talking to the usual hang ons and than when you want to be served they all look at you as if you shouldnt be there and pass the odd smart a$$ comment... Than they wonder why people inparticular the familes with little knowledge feel more comfortable going to the bigger chain stores !!!!

NO OFFENCE MEANT AS THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ALL OWNERS ONLY SOME

Some people like to be asked as a memory jog if they require anything else,some people prefer to be left alone when in a store.

Now put yourself in the shoes of some poor old sales assistant who has all but a moment to figure out which type of personality he is dealing with.

A lot of larger stores these days monitor conversion rates ie number of people entering the store to number of sales,so as stated in a previous thread don't nark up the assistant he or she is doing what is expected of them in order to put there hand out each week for there pay.

For those who like to bag store staff for there inexperience, did it ever occur to possibly share your knowledge and experience with them to help them better serve in the future. I have worked almost my working life in direct sales ( rep / account manager ) and in all those years i have found my best teachers of product knowledge are my customers.

Thats my contribution for what its worth and i slight look into what its like on the other side of the counter for those who have to deal with the public on a daily basis.Dealing with so many people with varying personalities and expectations can be a real head knick.
    Great post Steeler.

I once had an issue with a certain Newcastle outlet of a well known chandlery chain. The issue stemmed from the salesperson just ringing my purchases up while they were in the middle of a conversation with another salesperson behind the counter, all the while I was asking them to hold-off ringing it all up as I needed assistance to also make further purchases of around a couple of grand worth of electronics.

When they finally finished ringing it up I again asked the person to please assist me to purchase (right there, right then) a sounder and a couple of radios. The attitude I recieved was enough for me to just pay the amount that had already been totalled (normally I would have reacted to it, but decided there and then to never go back without significant enticement to do so) and walked-out. I was that worked-up about the whole experience I ended-up speaking with the GM of the whole outlet chain in Sydney who assured me that someone would call me straight back from the store and offer me a deal that would never be matched on the electronics I wanted. I never recieved the call and had to call them, to which the store manager was constantly not able to be disturbed as he was with a customer.... ARRRGGG!

When I finally got through to the manager of the outlet I was told that the staff member had been disciplined, which to my way of thinking was the most counter productive thing that could have been done at the time. That person need training in customer service, not a size 9 in the RRRRs.

I ended-up going to Terrace Boating, told them what went on and got a top deal on the sounder and radios and they have a customer for life now....

I consider myself lucky that Tackle Warehouse is a 5 min drive down the road from me.
    98% of the time, the customer service is outstanding. The other 2%, they're just busy.
    Had a great experience in there on the weekend. I needed a 'deckies' reel, something for those on the boat that don't have their own gear. Simply told the guy what I wanted it for, said my budget was $100. He suggested a reel. Even asked him if there was something in the same ballpark, maybe $20-30 more that would be a step up... His response was 'no'. I bought the reel he suggested, and he even knocked $10 off it.
    Being a regular there, I find the vast majority of my purchases are discounted, putting them easily on a par with FBC, price wise.

That said, I drive past the loganholme FBC store daily, and if I need something quickly, I'll just swing by there... but I don't expect any service.

But as someone pointed out earlier, it's not just the tackle stores which suffer from a lack of service......

Oh, and I don't think I've ever bought anything, ever, that didn't already have a price tag on it.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Nic..can you tell me who makes those reels?
    I dunno, but word is these reels are smooth and reliable with a gorgeous livery.

@Ddamned67 I agree with you about Tackle Warehouse, the staff there are great. That's partly because the owners pay them a good wage. If you want good staff that go the extra mile, it seems you need to pay them what they're worth... otherwise they'll go and work for someone else who appreciates them better. I've seen that happen quite a few times. And I bet some of their customers follow them, too!
    Yeah, some women actually know a thing or two about fishing. Who knew?
    http://alchemyfishing.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

What really pisses me off is how many smaller tackle shops that had good amounts of decent quality gear have gone. The BCF's and their like have modified to market so most places that remain only stock minimal amounts of tackle and usually not decent quality.

I am finding more and more that the people selling tackle these days know huge amounts of useless data they think pertains to the fishing you are interested in, in other words they try to sell the product instead of displaying what they have for the buyer to select from. Most of their data is either incorrect or packaging script.
    Jack.

My pet peeve - from a general retail perspective - is the "Are you right there?", when waiting for service.

My line of thoughts go "Say what! Yes I am fine thank you, but I am trying to get some help with this, you slow-witted nincompoop!"

Probably just getting old, but lots of times I just think gen Y have NO IDEA when it comes to customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    To be honest I do not go into many tackle shops.

My rods last 30 years and an Alvey is just unbreakable and I get them from garbage sales.
    I make my own sinkers and when I buy hooks and swivels I buy by the hundreds.

About the only reason I go into tackle shops now-a-days is to buy a fishing licenses of some description.

any time i hear the word alvey or see 1 i think of the time at an after hours bcf talk show thingy, a sales rep from alvey was talking about how good the reels are and that they are very stong and indestructible, he then demonstrates how strong they are buy hittin the reel on the ground, lol, it broke into a few pieces. had everyone in hysterics, poor fella, and he still manages to go on talkin for another five minutes or so.
    i do agree though that the old alvey are a great reel, time has proven that 1.

on topic, i also hate the upselling.

jp

Well there's a bit of hot air vented !
    I'd just like to thank the store manager at one of the stores mentioned above for recently giving my 17 y/o son a casual job, he started just 2 weeks ago.It's his first job and is hoping to use it to help himself get through Uni.
    I've been in the sales game for the best part of my life and it seems they put a fair bit of training into there staff.
    With out too much hesitation I'd be game to bet , that he could out wit most fish that swim, and has a pretty good resume to back that up.
    BeastMaster
    Last edited by BeastMaster; 12-12-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: please edit this post - private reason.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

I like to think of myself as a pro-active purchaser.

Some of the things wrong with these stores you can turn to your own advatage.

For instance that store we don't mention, has this realy silly aged stock polocy.......if any stock on the shelves (or hooks) is over a certain age, the manager has his bonus penalised...so you can have a two items, one new stock and one aged stock.....both a regular line..... but they will break their kneck to clear the aged stock.

Ya got chuckle.

I go to different stores for different stuff.

One thing that I realy think is dishonest...and lots of retail stores do it.....

offer a price match

Yeh fine...... but if an opposing store has a deal that simply cant beat and still make money........the stock of that item magicaly vaporises......well actually its all out the back......only to reappear when the oposition special is over.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.