Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with hooks....

Help with hooks....

Doug Bert sells a stainless steel hook desinged for skirted lures and they are very similar to a gamakatsu SL12 big game fly hook..... Does anyone know where he gets these hooks from??? I no they come in from overseas but I can't find any website that sells them....
    Thanks Nathan

Re: Help with hooks....

what brand is on them.

my guess is that he wants a pretty penny for them?

Check out Wellsys Fishing Tackle.... google them.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

No brand.... Wen they cum into the store they cum wrapped in Asian newspaper.... And yeh he wants $11 per hook.... I need about 200 of them
    so now u can see why I wanna get them abit cheaper.....

That also pretty much answers the question in another thread about why there arent many smaller tackle shops around anymore that dont carry quality tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by redjetskirider View Post
    No brand.... Wen they cum into the store they cum wrapped in Asian newspaper.... And yeh he wants $11 per hook.... I need about 200 of them
    so now u can see why I wanna get them abit cheaper.....
    Thats some pretty serious longlines you will have going mate.
    "True Blue"

Peter Pakula was making a stainless hook nearly exactly the same as an SL12s called a Katana. They may be them. It might be worth an email to pakula to see if they are. If not id say a copy of them. What do you need 200 for? Pakula still has some katanas for sale on his website.

Like mentioned check if wellsys have a similar hook. wellsy has all the latest and greatest hooks from around the globe, anything worth buying...he'll have. Owner jobus, pakula, roddy hays hooks and all the usual mustads.

$11 a hook unless they are the size of a gaff head seams steep.
    Last edited by jeffo; 09-12-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
    Peter Pakula was making a stainless hook nearly exactly the same as an SL12s called a Katana. They may be them. It might be worth an email to pakula to see if they are. If not id say a copy of them. What do you need 200 for? Pakula still has some katanas for sale on his website.

Like mentioned check if wellsys have a similar hook. wellsy has all the latest and greatest hooks from around the globe, anything worth buying...he'll have. Owner jobus, pakula, roddy hays hooks and all the usual mustads.

$11 a hook unless thOiey are the size of a gaff head seams steep.
    Thanks guys...
    1. They aren't for long lining, me and a mate hav afew skirts that we want to rerig....
    2. I checked out wellsys and they don't hav them...
    3. $11 per hook is correct... If u hav bein to bertys u will no that it is an expensive store.... The hook itself isn't very big 10/0-12/0.... Perfect for skirts... Really thin but really strong

Had a look at the katana hooks... They would do if only they were in a bigger size

Hold the phone jeffo your a legend my mate who owns seaprobe charters on the gold coast reckons they r the exact hooks..... Thanks heaps mate....

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Stainless hooks aren't very friendly to fish that just happen to break off with the hook left in the mouth. I will never use them under any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    Stainless hooks aren't very friendly to fish that just happen to break off with the hook left in the mouth. I will never use them under any circumstance.
    Good for you....

sl12 with an anode fitted are a hell of a lot cheaper and u dont have to file the barbs down

Whiteman, you are right, stainless hooks that get left in a fish wont rust out. In saying that we have caught blue marlin with stainless longline hooks still in their mouths and they have eaten just like any other blue would.

Jetskirider- what size lures are you rigging with these 11 buck hooks? There is plenty of cheaper (well proven hooks) around.

Running them on 8-12 inch black barts, hollow points and Bahamas.... I'm not to fussy, I'm happy with SL12s.... But it's my mate that's fussy, everything must be stainless in his eyes.... I just thought if I could find them cheap enough I would change all the SL12s over..

Brisbane boy: we hav done the anode trick to all the SL12s and we wash them after use but they still only last two trips before they start to get sum corosion.... Gavin has has these stainless hooks on all his lures, sum of them are upto 3 years old....

Thanks for the help....