Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polarized Sunglasses

Re: Polarized Sunglasses

Another vote for Maui's from me.
    I have tried a fair few but these have been the standout in all areas - water depth penetration, glare reduction, colour representation and durability.
    I only use the grey glass lense, but if you prefer gold, then the spotters has a big following. There has been a bit mentioned previously about good after sales support from the Maui factory also, which may help your decision.

Someone asked previously about Oakleys, I have tried a couple and liked alot about them, but the durability was the downfall - delaminated badly. They were also prone to fogging but I put alot of that down to the actual fit.

A brand that I have been impressed with previously has been Arnette, have had a couple of pairs in the grey polycarbonate polarised lense and liked them alot, wouldn't hesitate in suggesting checking them out. If any criticism, I thought the lense could have been a shade darker.

Scott.

Thanks Scott

I'm certainly checking out the MJs
    I agree about Oakleys -
    The pair I had - the lense surface treatment could be scratched so easily (glass)..... I didn't really rate them well as I felt you were just paying for the name ( these were just normal sunnies though).

As most of the fishing I do is in the fresh - amber lenses seem to have the best penetration.......
    I found that the reflective mirror finish were smick when fishing offshore - The Costa del mars are apparently good for salt water work.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by rat_catcher View Post
    I found the Spotters gave me headaches, whereas the MJ's made me feel like they weren't even on my face. I could wear them for hours without any issues, but the Spotters gave me headaches after a while.

I went to an Optometrist to get my eyes checked and no problems there. The guy said it was most likely due to distortion the Spotters lenses

That's what I found with my last pair of spotters ....... I at times felt glad to remove them.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Nicko

I found the fuglies to be very similar to the ugly fish - OK for a spare pair to have on the boat but not ones to wear all day as they only seem to be good on bright days.
    I hate forking out the big bucks for sunnies ....... particularly when I loose or break so many. ....

Chris
    Hi Chris,

There's different lens colours, I find them good in dark conditions... especially a new set i got with the gold (whatever they're called) lenses, very nice indeed.

I hate shopping for sunglasses

Anyhow - after doing a fair bit of comparisons & even going back to Spotters & Mako's
    I've chosen Serengeti Polarized Drivers ....... in an acetate frame
    It was a toss up between the Maui Jim Stingrays or Canoes & the Serengeti ...... similar price & optical quality - The serengetis won me over with the elastomer inlays built into the frame which were comfortable and felt more secure.

My experience with my other pair of Serengeti's have been positive ...... so time will tell if these get the big tick

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Anyone know where you can get Costa Del Mar sunnies in OZ? They look good and I'd like to try some on for comparison. I had photochromatic spotters and they were a great lense but they were too heavy and hurt my ears after a while.

A couple of observations.

If you wear prescription glasses most of the time, you will find most sunglasses look and feel like rubbish.

If you don't wear prescription glasses you may tollerate any old carp.

Ive picked up my wifes sunglasses and those of friends and relatives and simply cant understand how they tolerate them, they cant fit and the optics are horrible.

It may also be that the prescription versions of the fancy sunglasses may be more accurate.

My wife has just come to the point of needing prescription sunglasses and she got a pair of spotters.....she now understands what i have been saying all this time....she is simply gob smacked with the clarity and penetration compared to the rubbish she has been wearing for 30 years.

Unfortunatly my eyes are at a certain point ( getting old) and I am waiting for some stuff to sort out before I cough up for some prescription sunnies.

I wore prescription photo cromatics all day everyday for years...... but the current photo cromatics simply dont work as well as what I was wearing 10 years ago.

As someone who wears glasses almost every waking hour.

I can tell you..you must get a frame that fits your head, and you must get the frames adjusted properly.
    If not preasure on you nose or ears can cause you problems and if your eyes are not in the right place in the lenses.....even without prescription that can cause you problems.

when i get new frames or I cop a blow to the head ....It takes me a week to a fortnight to get the frames just right.

If you get the frame to fit properly some of the fatigue and other problems may go away.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    A couple of observations.

If you wear prescription glasses most of the time, you will find most sunglasses look and feel like rubbish.

If you don't wear prescription glasses you may tollerate any old carp.

Ive picked up my wifes sunglasses and those of friends and relatives and simply cant understand how they tolerate them, they cant fit and the optics are horrible.

It may also be that the prescription versions of the fancy sunglasses may be more accurate.

My wife has just come to the point of needing prescription sunglasses and she got a pair of spotters.....she now understands what i have been saying all this time....she is simply gob smacked with the clarity and penetration compared to the rubbish she has been wearing for 30 years.

Unfortunatly my eyes are at a certain point ( getting old) and I am waiting for some stuff to sort out before I cough up for some prescription sunnies.

I wore prescription photo cromatics all day everyday for years...... but the current photo cromatics simply dont work as well as what I was wearing 10 years ago.

As someone who wears glasses almost every waking hour.

I can tell you..you must get a frame that fits your head, and you must get the frames adjusted properly.
    If not preasure on you nose or ears can cause you problems and if your eyes are not in the right place in the lenses.....even without prescription that can cause you problems.

when i get new frames or I cop a blow to the head ....It takes me a week to a fortnight to get the frames just right.

If you get the frame to fit properly some of the fatigue and other problems may go away.

cheers

Very true about the fitting and that why buying your sunnies from an optomotrist is the ideal approach ....... Getting your eyes checked at the same time is also beneficial.

Good quality sun glasses just make a world of difference ......... I wore a pair of Mangrove jacks on a bike ride yesterday - jumped into the car afterwards .... put on the Serengetis and the difference in the optics was massive - The MJs you knew you were looking through tinted plastic - The Serengetis have a more natural representation ...... and liken it to going from standard to Hi definition. Worth the money ? ....... you betchya!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

What sort of ballpark dollars did the Serengetis set you back from the optometrist Nagg? I am needing to go for script sunnies soon.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    What sort of ballpark dollars did the Serengetis set you back from the optometrist Nagg? I am needing to go for script sunnies soon.
    $250ish - The RRP is around the $290 mark but they are not script

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Glad your happy with your choice Chris. Personally over the years I have had ray ban, mako, spotters & various cheapies, but for the last 5 years have been a total devotee of Maui Jims. They are great to look through, have quality frames and after 5 years of constant use are still in great shape. When the time comes for a replacement I will definitely go MJ again.

bassfan

Quote Originally Posted by bassfan View Post
    Glad your happy with your choice Chris. Personally over the years I have had ray ban, mako, spotters & various cheapies, but for the last 5 years have been a total devotee of Maui Jims. They are great to look through, have quality frames and after 5 years of constant use are still in great shape. When the time comes for a replacement I will definitely go MJ again.

bassfan
    I can say straight up that I would have been happy with the MJs that I looked at .......... so I wouldn't argue the toss with you on that front.

What it did confirm to me that there are other options out there that should be looked at.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO