Thread: Turbidity of South western waterways

Turbidity of South western waterways

About 5 weeks ago, I was able to spend some time in the vicinity of Chinchilla and Miles hoping to find some waterways where I could fish with lures from my kayak. However, the waters were still very cloudy as a result of the recent heavy rain. I tried both weirs at these towns and no success. Charleys Creek and Rocky Creek were also tried.

I went further north to visit relatives past Wandoan and visited the Dawson River just east of Taroom. The river was still flowing and obviously quite dirty. I spoke to a number of anglers in the area who advised that lures are not recommended in these waters due to the quality of the water.

I was hoping to get some views from this forum regarding the use of lures. I was told that the Dawson River usually clears well after a flood. If that is so, I would certainly like to return when it settles.

Can someone tell me if the Dawson River has cleared yet?

Re: Turbidity of South western waterways

No the Dawson hasn't cleared yet and will take quite awhile before it does with all this rain. cheers Rossco

My main enquiry was the suitability of using lures in waterways in this area. Can someone comment on their experience using lures in the Condamine/ Dawson Rivers and Charleys Creek or similar waterways in that area.

some of the creeks and the dawson clear up enough for lures out here the condamine hasn't cleared in over ten years, can't see them clearing for awhile now as it's rainning again altho they should clear quickly when the flows stop.
    Cheers rossco