Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/S on-line purchases - get in while you can

O/S on-line purchases - get in while you can

I notice Gerry Harvey is calling for the Fed Gov't to introduce GST to be payable on overseas on-line purchases............don't know how long it would take for this to be implemented but sounds like another revenue cash-cow in the making.
    Hopefully consumer advocates will mount some resistance......
    Cheers.

Re: O/S on-line purchases - get in while you can

I doubt you will ever see this bought in.
    Besides the savings are a lot more than the 10% GST would apply.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

yes. I was talking to someone at tackleworld and he told me they will be lowering the amount from 1000 to 450 that you have to pay tax on..

It is hard to swallow a statement like that from a Billionaire. For a business where over 90% of his goods are imported, why should they impose a tax on us the retail customer cause he is loosing business? What he should be doing is passing on the savings that he is making importing his goods whilst the dollar is strong and keep Australian retail competitive instead of keeping substantially higher profits for himself.

I used to think this guy was ok, but with statements like that, he has lost my support.

LOL i wouldn't take anything the guy from tackleworld as gospel... rumours tend to become "fact" when it benefits them.

very true..

Maybe we should protest by boycotting Harvey Norman.

If there is a large drop in profits he might pull his head in and other retailers might get the hint

Ian

All the bricks and mortar retailers are getting narky about on line and overseas imports.

I was reading about this in "Appliance Retailer", the word is the establishment like Gerry Harvey are not at all enamoured with the whole on line thing.

AND

the word is this christmas season will be a heavily discounted one as the bricks and mortar try to compeete with the online sellers.

Sooner or later they will have to drop the prices localy to parity with the same items sold overseas, or they will find more market taken by the on line sellers.

The best we can do is stick it in their faces......Na mate....I can get that from overseas for less than you are offering it and that includeds freight.

Sorry but it will be hard on the retailers because thay are not the ones holding the margin, it is either the importes or the overseas parent companies.

So the word is.....whatch out for the discounts leading up to christmass.....which should be soon

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Defore View Post
    Maybe we should protest by boycotting Harvey Norman.

If there is a large drop in profits he might pull his head in and other retailers might get the hint

Ian
    Haven't walked though his doors since his call for a second tier of lowly paid migrant workers to work for peanuts,I usually don't begrudge anyone a dollar but in his case how much is enough.

What will happen................. in about 2 years time when the $US is back around 80 to 90 cents, we will be gouged once again.

So yeah, get in while the dollar is at these levels because it will not last for ever.

Hi all
    Australian Customs is trying to lower the threshold on imported goods from 1000 to 400 dollars.
    There have been proposals by the retailers association that we are losing alot due to the fact that we are importing rather than buying in Australia and if the threshold is lowered then it will stop alot of people from ordering from overseas.

Retailers want this but the CBFCA is apparently against it. i twill be an internal nightmare for Customs brokers and classifiers to see this change take place. Although on the job front in this area it could be welcomed.

You could have something sent by post and the threshold was 1000 dollars, but if imported say by Fedex or UPS the threshold was 250.00 . To bring things in line about 5 or so years back the threshold for imports was increased to the 1000.00 is it now.

Keep a close eye on this as if this change goes ahead then there won't be alot of stuff being any cheaper to import.

Ronnie

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi all
    Australian Customs is trying to lower the threshold on imported goods from 1000 to 400 dollars.
    There have been proposals by the retailers association that we are losing alot due to the fact that we are importing rather than buying in Australia and if the threshold is lowered then it will stop alot of people from ordering from overseas.

Retailers want this but the CBFCA is apparently against it. i twill be an internal nightmare for Customs brokers and classifiers to see this change take place. Although on the job front in this area it could be welcomed.

You could have something sent by post and the threshold was 1000 dollars, but if imported say by Fedex or UPS the threshold was 250.00 . To bring things in line about 5 or so years back the threshold for imports was increased to the 1000.00 is it now.

Keep a close eye on this as if this change goes ahead then there won't be alot of stuff being any cheaper to import.

Ronnie

Apart from reels most of the fishing gear I import is not available in Australian Tackle stores (e.g. extra strong jig hooks {Mustad, Owner, VMC}, jig and sinker moulds, powder paint in large containers, eyelets, 3D eyes etc etc). The Australian distributers only import stock that they can make a big profit on. They don't want anglers making there own terminal tackle as they will lose sales on the lines they want us to buy.

We really have not got a wide choice in this Country as has the US angler.

Cheers
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    Apart from reels most of the fishing gear I import is not available in Australian Tackle stores (e.g. extra strong jig hooks {Mustad, Owner, VMC}, jig and sinker moulds, powder paint in large containers, eyelets, 3D eyes etc etc). The Australian distributers only import stock that they can make a big profit on. They don't want anglers making there own terminal tackle as they will lose sales on the lines they want us to buy.

We really have not got a wide choice in this Country as has the US angler.

Cheers
    Barry
    Maybe they dont import because only 5 people have a need for it?

Hi
    I understand what you are saying guys but for shipments less than 1000 now and maybe 400 in the future for things that you are importing surely it must be less than this amount.

Sure retailers only import what they can sell and make a profit on-- if you were doing it wouldn't you. I wouldn't bring in tea caddies if everyone wanted coffee pots-- would you.

LOL
    Ronnie

Boycott Harvey Norman!!!!
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.