Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lanyard for trolling

lanyard for trolling

I'm looking to buy/have made a pair iof lanyards for securing my rods whilst trolling or just sitting in the rod holders whilst soaking a bait. Is ther a secific name for such a thing and where does one buy them?

Re: lanyard for trolling

just make your own mate, some thin rope and a couple of clips..

Im a splicing virgin, mate. Doing a search around the internet now to find some videos. To be honest, i thought they'd be easy to find and cheap.

Yeah make youre own or plenty at most tackle shops. Shimano make a few different lengths.

http://www.wellsystackle.com/sunshop...uct_list&c=505

i think its called a lanline. have a look on ebay pretty sure i saw them on there. i think jb is on the money though easy enough to do at a 10th the price.

jp

just did a search in ebay and found several items under lanyard. nothing fishing related but may do the job.
    nothing under lanline. i might stop calling it that now .
    a dog leash may do the trick, strong lead, with a clip??

jp

No splicing required mate, i think all i did was a couple of uni knots and there not coming undone thats for sure.

I made up some for my kayak using old telephone cords, carabiners, cable ties and heat shrink takes 10 minutes and cost was about $6 for the stainless carabiners

All of the above mentioned will work of course, but I reckon the best I have seen are these at Wellsys:

http://www.wellsystackle.com/sunshop..._detail&p=1255

Might depend too on what you are restraining, a homemade one will do the job but might not look the part if you are clipping it to something like a Tiagra

Scott.

personally i'd stay away from the 'strap' type safety lines, they tend to flap around in the wind. ropes tend to lay flat on the deck.
    splicing is a usefull skill to learn, but if you don't want to splice, use a hollow braided rope such as heavy duty ski rope. to make a loop, simply run it back up the inside (like how the loop on a wind on leader is made)

grahame
    S***fish & chippy

i saw some made from crimped mega heavy leader material (like 200kg or something like that). looked very good too.

I have also made some from whipper snipper cord in the past, either as is or if you want to coil it you can wrap a length around a broom stick and stick it in boiling water for a minute or 2 and then dunk it in cold water.
    That works pretty well.

Bit of HD venetian cord colour of your choice, or 3mm spectra if you want to be flash, and a 316SS carabinier sized to suit. Melt the ends to stop 'fraying'.
    Adjust the lengths to suit.
    Just make sure you tie it to somewhere of suitable strength if you are using the 24 or 37kg gear!
    Cheers.

I usually just use occy straps to hold my rods down.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I usually just use occy straps to hold my rods down.

simple and effective nice one

jp