Thread: Light tackle spin outfit??

Light tackle spin outfit??

Gday,
    Can someone recommend a light tackle spin outfit, including suggested line class, for throwing small hard bodies and poppers on the flats for Flathead, Whiting, bream etc.

I don't want to spend "Stella" type money, but want something that won't cr@p itself after 2 good runs if a Trevally grabs it.

Cheers,
    Myles

Re: Light tackle spin outfit??

I use a Starlostix Tournament pro lightspin with a Stradic 3000. It is a good blank for the price and I can't fault the little Stradic. The 3000 is pretty small but you could drop down a couple of sizes if your wrist is a bit limp
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Egrell S1 or S1 Bear with a Daiwa Caldia or Sol 2000.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I use the same as Horse, but with a 2500 series Stradic. The rod is 7'10" and can really rip out a cast. Landed everything up to 89cm barra on that setup. Plenty of bang for the buck, especially when you can get them on a sale.

Steve

would help alot if you gave us a budget, there is a big difference between a combo under $600 and a combo under $300, but there are plenty of them out there to handle these

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Thanks fellas,

A few people have recommended the Stradic to me now, and I have seen them online for around $200.00, which would suit me.

I havent yet seen the price of a rod to suit.

Benny, I haven't listed a budget, because I really want something that is the best value for money. My real passion and 90% of my fishing is offshore trolling and heavy tackle Marlin fishing, so I wont be spending $1000 on an outfit for this stuff. But I certainly don't want junk.

I guess reasonable quality for the money is the budget if that makes sense?

Cheers,
    Myles

well thats a good start, for a bit more you could go up to the ci4 stradic, a rod to match could be a sicstick or a t curve 3-5kg, would hold up a a decent GT if it grabed it

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Rod - Pflueger Asaro 2-4kg 7' - Great all round rod and can throw even small lures very well.

Reel - Shimano Stradic 2500 - $145 from reel fishing deals.

The Stradic 2500 and 3000 are the essentially the same body with a different spool. I went for the capacity of the 3000 and have scored Snaps to 80cm on it. It would also be a lot of fun if you come across rat Dollies or Kings offshore
    You can certainly buy much better outfits but the Lightspin at MOs is about $129 and The Stradics are under $150AU from some OS sites
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

ive got a pflugher trion 2-4 kg spin stick with a shimano sahara 2500 with 4kg finns braid very nice little outfit comes down to preference on rod type i always like to buy from a local retailer so i can match up the reel to the rod i want and see how it feels or go there do just that and buy offline. nothing worse then putting a reel on a rod and it just not feeling right

Thanks men,

Given that the smallest spin reel in my shed is 7000 sized with 30lb braid, this light stuff is all new to me.

I have a 6kg baitcaster outfit but it needs at least a 20 gram slug to work, and my normal beach and estuary set up is a 6 inch Alvey on a 12' Gary Howard Yellow Patch ( got 2 of em, and they are THE best rods I have ever fished with!)

Anyway, thanks all for your help into the micro rod and reel set up.

Cheers,
    Myles