Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making canned fish

Making canned fish

Has anyone tried making their own canned fish?

A bloke from canada gave me some of his home made preserved canned (pressure bottled) fish and it was awsome

Does anywhere in Australia sell the special pressure canning cookers?

cheers

Mick

Re: Making canned fish

or do you just need the special canning jars and lids, and use a normal pressure cooker?

You can get the big pressure cookers on eBay for a reasonable price.

Also Redback Traders sell them and the proper Mason Jars and lids http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/index1.html

Check this book out http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Coo...9780764524714/
    Regards

mod5

Interesting topic Mick.
    I for one will watch with interest for any updates you give. Always up for DIY things that are a little out of the ordinary like stills and odd brews(beer)

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4frog View Post
    Interesting topic Mick.
    I for one will watch with interest for any updates you give. Always up for DIY things that are a little out of the ordinary like stills and odd brews(beer)
    I'm going to have a bit of a look into it. by the looks of it, there is not to much to it, other than hygiene and a little bit of basic science to the temperature pressurisation times.

I've done lots of home brewing in the past, so this would only be a little step into something a bit different.

got my interest going

Now this is going to be one interesting thread i reckon. Right up there with the slow cooking thread. Will be watching with interest.

Will also be waiting for a home brewing thread..especially for the spirits.....will be getting into that once I am in my own place.

Greg

bugger the slow cooking thread...........

when you think about it, fish canning (preserving) was something done by either our parents or grandparents depending on how old you are.

I buy a lot of canned fish for sandwiches, and what my mate offered me was about 1000 times better than what comes in a commercial can

I thought the recipe for canned fish was IGA + cash.

But I've never thought of the home-made version of tinned fish.
    There are lots of preserving jars out this way from when people used to preserve their own fruits and the like.
    Every garbage sale and the junk sale each week usually has a box or two of jars and lids.
    They go for near nothing. The same goes for the huge vats they used to preserve foodstuffs.
    We have a large pressure cooker and the cook uses it more then the pots and pans.
    She cooks everything in it.

Pity I don't catch enough fish to try
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I dont know about the canned fish but my parents use to make a lot of preserved tomatoes and cucumbers (gherkins) using the old methods and it was very simple. We had a large property and grown alot of vegies and fruit.

Dill, black peppercorn, garlic, salt, white vinegar, boiled hot water and seal the jars whilst hot. They had it down to an art and very tastey but I cannot remember the proportions or percentages, I think the hot water and white vinegar was 50/50 from vague memory.

Hope this might help you.

Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Now this is going to be one interesting thread i reckon. Right up there with the slow cooking thread. Will be watching with interest.

Will also be waiting for a home brewing thread..especially for the spirits.....will be getting into that once I am in my own place.

Greg
    Greg,

If you want any info on this one, I can pick you up and take you to a mate that has been doing this for a few years and is very good at it. I'll have to contact him before we come over though. (He does spirits and liquours only, not beer)

Peter

Vacola...that's name I've been try to think of all day...beauty.
    They'd be the brand of preserving vat and brand of jars you see out here all the time if I remember correctly.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Been bottling our fish (spotties , Mahi and Kings ) for several years now and it is a big hit with everyone that has tried it . We were taught by friend in the sth island NZ were they bottle Salmon . We bought all our bottles and lids and seals mainly from op shops . and hardwares (older shops) Keeps for well over a year but ours never seem to make it to old age . in saying that the older the better . Onions, basil tomato , garlic and anything else u want to mix it with . One word of warning check the sealing process Via the net cause if it doesnt seal properly it goes off .and also we age it in the fridge at a controlled temp as the fluctuations in temps can pop the seals . with soft fish like spotties it works well better than freezing them .
    Regards Vic

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Vacola...that's name I've been try to think of all day...beauty.
    They'd be the brand of preserving vat and brand of jars you see out here all the time if I remember correctly.

"Fowler preserving jars" , were the ones mum used , but after doing a search they are called "Fowler Vacola preserving jars" Finga's on to it .

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Greg,

If you want any info on this one, I can pick you up and take you to a mate that has been doing this for a few years and is very good at it. I'll have to contact him before we come over though. (He does spirits and liquours only, not beer)

Peter
    I might have to take you up on that offer Peter. I am not interested in the beer, just the spirits.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    I might have to take you up on that offer Peter. I am not interested in the beer, just the spirits.

Greg
    No worries Greg,

He only does spirits.

The person works a roster so it will have to be done when he has days off otherwise near impossible.

Will send you a pm later.

Cheers, Peter