Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic Shimano Reels?

Generic Shimano Reels?

Hi im wondering if anyone here is aware of or know of generic shimano reels? I get my reels serviced by Frazorodz and the owner of this bussiness advised me to buy a 'genuine' stradic reel when i was in the market for one. He reckons that BCF and discount tackle stores etc sell generic shimano reels and they arent the same quality as the genuine item.

He advised me to pay the bit more and buy it off tackle world which i did as i was a bit wary of this comment??

Anyone else heard of this?

Cheers, Deano.

Re: Generic Shimano Reels?

i dont know about bcf but i have heard only just last week from someone at tackleworld that oversea's shops are now selling fakes. Could be a load of crap but still got me thinkin..

Yes they are out there I can buy a Shimano stella 6000 for $145 US or a tiagra 80 for under $200 US these are the same reels that are being sold on ebay for $700 plus

how can you tell the difference? What are the main signs to tell they are fake?

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    how can you tell the difference? What are the main signs to tell they are fake?
    The reels that are on ebay have the same photo as the ones from OS website, and the return policy on the ebay ones are 72 hours and if the reels are tampered with you void your warranty, so I think I smell a rat
    Last edited by seastorm; 21-11-2010 at 08:02 PM.

I would be very suprised if BCF and other Australian based stores were making any sort of substitution. If they were doing so it would leave them open to significant liability. I doubt that Shimano would come to the party and provide them with a derated product under the same branding
    I think your reel service guy is either well off track or has a vested intrest in promoting the "local" tackle stores.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

No way are BCF carrying fake Shimano Reels, I recone 'Frazorodz' will hear from them pretty soon with statements like that, infact I very much dought if any Aussie tackle stores would.
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Yeah sounds a bit sus, Shimano ostensibly already have the market cornered, nothing for them to gain by those sort of orchestrations.
    As for the shop-front retailers, well hardy in their best interests to compromise their relationship with Shimano either IMO.
    Cheers.

Sounds like a tackle shop operator trying to make up bullshit stories about their competition to me. There's no way BCF would be selling fake reels.

Dean
    You may have missunderstood him. He might have meant these reels were very similar or close copies, but not necessarily with Shimano on them.

There are some very close copies of Avets and ABUs out there too, even Daiwas, but with a different brand name.

Here is a photo of one of the reels I can get from OS for $145 US

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Dean
    You may have missunderstood him. He might have meant these reels were very similar or close copies, but not necessarily with Shimano on them.

There are some very close copies of Avets and ABUs out there too, even Daiwas, but with a different brand name.
    Nah mate no misunderstanding i was suprised at what he said no doubt! We were talking shimano gear as i said im buying a stradic, stuffs me im just saying it how it is as ive bought 2 tyrnos's from BCF and would like to know the truth behind it?? Hopefully he's wrong..

Regards, Deano.

Hi Guys

I do not have a vested interest in any tackle store and in fact buy from both BCF and the Local Takle Store.

I did not say that there are generic shiomano or any other reel out their.
    I may have said there are many reels out there that can look very simular to the geninue reels and you need to make sure you are buying the reel brand
    that you actually want. In fact I do not remember the conservation. The only thing generic for the well known reels is drag washers

Why would I single out BCF anyway, they are a big company with good buying power and I know that Shimano and also Daiwa and some of the others will not sell to tackle shops as they do not 1. have the buying power 2. do not have or in their opinion would have a larger enough turn over

I refute the statement made by the original author

Ken
    Frazorodz

I think that BCF and other chains get some models that are unique to them, that is they buy a model from shimano that is not mainstream as such.

In some cases the specifications might be different.

They might buy them direct from shimano japan, not the importer here, Dunphy Sports.

I was looking at buying a Stella from a "reputable" ebay seller. By the time I took into account freight/postage, there was only $80 in it. Not worth it.

Also I was told that Shimano Australia, service guys are able to identify overseas purchased reels thus warranty will not apply.

Regards,

DarkHorse

Hey guys,

im sorry for raising this topic here.

I must have misunderstood you Ken im sorry for the statement it was never meant to cause any dramas.

Hopefully theres no such thing as this i do doubt it very much.

Happy shopping and my second home is BCF too by the way

Cheers.