Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generic Shimano Reels?

Re: Generic Shimano Reels?

I have just done a search on ebay and cant find a stella for $145 anywere ,even that 6000pg is $609 and thats a used one ...?????
    Willo

Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    I have just done a search on ebay and cant find a stella for $145 anywere ,even that 6000pg is $609 and thats a used one ...?????
    Willo

Mate, how can anyone justify that much for a reel. Each to his own i guess, but thats alot of money for one reel, i would want to be fishing full time to spend that much on gear.

The gear i have is reasonable price shimano and okumas, and catches the same fish as rods or reels worth hundreds and hundreds.

IMHO only.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Mate, how can anyone justify that much for a reel. Each to his own i guess, but thats alot of money for one reel, i would want to be fishing full time to spend that much on gear.

The gear i have is reasonable price shimano and okumas, and catches the same fish as rods or reels worth hundreds and hundreds.

IMHO only.

Mike

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Me Mike, I got two Stellas......LOL
    Cheer Willo

Quote Originally Posted by seastorm View Post
    Here is a photo of one of the reels I can get from OS for $145 US

I have done a fair bit of looking on ebay and i havnt seen one of these ,not that i doubt what you have posted but a link would be good...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post

IMHO only.

Mike
    I used to say that... So I bought a Shimano Symetre, then a Stradic ci4 and just last week I picked up a Daiwa Steez.

Yes, they all catch fish, but why not catch fish in style?

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I have done a fair bit of looking on ebay and i havnt seen one of these ,not that i doubt what you have posted but a link would be good...matt
    Hi Matt
    The reels for $145 US is on an oversea web site I found. The same reels are now on Ebay for $600 plus they use the same photo and description as the oversea web site, I feel sorry for the people over here that pay the $600 plus and find out that they are fake

Can anyone tell me where Shamino reels are made?
    I just had a look on the side of the box my Shimano 4500b baitrunner can in which I bought from BCF and it says it is made in Malaysia.
    So if this a 100% Shimano 4500 Baitrunner made in Malaysia how much would it cost to make, which then come back to the question is $145 US for a Stella 6000 out of the question. I also had a look at all the Shimano reels at BCF today and they seem to be all made in Malaysia

Stellas are made in Japan, and the Stella in the photo you posted (called a Stella FA in Australia and the US) is a model that was superseded by the newer Stella SW and discontinued in 2007.

Shimano have a factory in Malaysia.....have had for many years. They have one in Japan as well. They also source many of their models from china...and im sure that trend will continue. Its no different with any of the other major manufacturers.....Daiwa, Penn, Abu etc. Thats the only way they can offer the 'range' of product they sell.

I have been in the 'showroom' of a manufacturer in Shenzen (sp), China, at the same time that representatives of both major Japanese 'brands' where there placing orders. Thats the way of the world as we know it. Also one of the reasons I am glad I am no longer involved in the tackle industry.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Shimano have a factory in Malaysia.....have had for many years. They have one in Japan as well. They also source many of their models from china...and im sure that trend will continue. Its no different with any of the other major manufacturers.....Daiwa, Penn, Abu etc. Thats the only way they can offer the 'range' of product they sell.

I have been in the 'showroom' of a manufacturer in Shenzen (sp), China, at the same time that representatives of both major Japanese 'brands' where there placing orders. Thats the way of the world as we know it. Also one of the reasons I am glad I am no longer involved in the tackle industry.

Yes Greg, know what you mean. The malaysian factory is NOT a back street dodge joint either from what I have heard. Apparently its a pretty sophisticated factory, as you would expect given the backing. I could only imagine what the Japan factory would be like. The JDM shimano reels are very nice, as are the high end stuff made for other markets from Japan. As you said, to keep the range, price and quality up to market standard of competitors they need to source from china too...like you mate, I wouldnt like to be in the game anymore...especially as a retailer!

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!