Thread: Which T Curve for saltwater barra baitcaster?

Which T Curve for saltwater barra baitcaster?

Currently use a Shimano Raider Magnum for lure flicking for barra, matched with Curado reel, normally 30 lb braid and 60 lb leader.
    Wife uses a Penn Pinpoint with Curado.

Looking to move up to slightly better rods and keep current ones for spares / guests. And I can no longer get away with buying good stuff for me, but cheap flashy stuff for her. Whatever I get, I need two.

G Loomis and the like are a bit expensive for the moment - perhaps one day as a treat. I thought the T Curve series might be a good compromise to move up the scale without breaking the bank.

When I Google T Curve, I find there are hundreds (well seems like it) in the range. For barra lure fishing with baitcaster, it seems that the two main options are the Revolution 5101 or the T Series 601. Looking for rods around 6 ft, 6 - 10 KG or so, but light and sensitive for hours of lure flicking.

Not really familiar with T Curves other than by reading. Will be on the Gold Coast briefly over Christmas, so looking to pick up a couple of rods while there. Christmas is not a good time for 'window shopping', so thought I'd do my research before then.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I can't drop down to the local tackle store to have a look and a chat- nearest is 700 KM away. I live at King Ash Bay, on the bank of the McArthur River near Borroloola. Get most of my tackle via the web unless (like now), I have a trip planned to the 'big smoke'.

Anyone familiar with the T Curve rods (or other good ones in the 'up to$250 or so' bracket, able to make a suggestion? All our barra fishing these days is in the NT Estuaries. We fish 2 or 3 days a week, so the gear gets a pretty good work out, particularly in the warmer weather.

Thanks,

Norm C

Re: Which T Curve for saltwater barra baitcaster?

I bought the father in law a 8kg t-curve for xmas last year.......it's paired up to a curado (older 200b).......it's a top little setup....i have a couple of gl2's and the t-curve is a fair comparison for that price point......it has better guides than the loomis also......the only thing i don't really like about it as the reel seat nut is attached to the fore grip so the whole lot screws down to secure the reel......it's proberbly not an issue but i had a Daiwa heartland with the same set up a few years ago and the whole fore grip cracked in half and broke away leaving a half decent rod un-usable.

The t-curve has handled barra up to around 90-95cm no worries on the troll so it can handle a decent hit for sure.

I can't remeber the exact model but from memory it's around 5'8'' and definatly 8kg....I bought it from Ronald at fishing and outdoor world he has a good range in there.

You may want to check out the Live fiber gear aswell their newer baitcaster range is pretty impresive and i would compare it to the shimano on quality and dollar value also.

Dan

Hi Norm

The T Curves are a pretty good choice at that price point , though my personal opinion is that like many shimano rods in recent years the quality of the componants have dropped considerably ....... so if you can find 2008/9 models - they are the better choice . The 6-8kg rod is the right choice as a flicking lure rod .... plenty powerful (under rated) - the 6-10 feels a much heavier rod and is more favoured by the impoundment guys for throwing / trolling bigger lures.

As you are comfortable with buying on line ...... personally with the high Aussie dollar - I would look at the GL3 Loomis range - they will cost you around the same as a pair of T Curves ( landed x 2) ..... but the blank is much better suited to the riggors of your style of fishing. Sure the guides are smaller diameter and are alconite ....... you wont loose too much against the SiC guides on the new models of T Curves (down graded).

Anyhow - good luck with your search & hopefully we will bump into you when we head to Boroloola in March/April next year

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've got 3 of the original model t-curves and rate them quite high for the price point. I have 2 of the 6-8kg MH 1.73m models and 1 of the 3-5kg L 1.9m models. Both are well suited to chasing saltwater barra. The 3-5kg model has loads of go almost as much in the but as the 6-8kg model just a lighter tip, smaller guides and a bit longer. The 3-5kg model is great for tossing smaller or lighter hb and plastics where as the 6-8kg model is more the typical all-rounder of barra sticks.

The new T series has just gone through mostly aesthetic changes (and also some new models) whilst the Revolution series is still the same blank but with foam grips and alconite (down graded) guides. Still a very good proposition for the prices.

Norm, I have the T Curve 6' 6-10kg rod. If you intend to snag bash then I would drop down a size or two as it takes a fair bit of effort to load properly when casting. It still throws 12-15gms well but to me it seems to take a lot of hard work.
    They are good rods in that sort of price range
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"