Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Tarps over Tents?

Best Tarps over Tents?

Hi Guys,
    Traveled to FNQ last year with a camper trailer and 11ft tinny,
    Soon realized 3 things,
    1. The geckos were larger than the tinny, ,
    2. The locals had it all worked out, (and cooler), with a tarp set up over a tent, and
    3. I needed around a 4.5 to 5m boat for safety, even getting back from the Hinchinbrook channel late afternoon in a small tinny can be challenging

Next trip will be in my Allison 4.95 and tenting

What are the best tarps and are there any suppliers in QLD that specialize in this type of tarp?

I'm from Adelaide but enjoyed the company of the friendly Queenslanders, (in particular, the locals at Atherton, must be the most friendly and helpful town in Australia), and will be going back, at least to Tinaroo and Lucinda, not sure about towing the new boat to Weipa this time, (maybe the barge from Karumba if I win the lottery!)

Regards,
    Gary

Re: Best Tarps over Tents?

take the barge from Cairns to Weipa! Look up custom tarps, I recon the ones at BCF are pretty good mate.

G'day mate,

I just buy the silver and green ones, look for the ones with steel "D" rings that hook onto the pole tips. I have two at home one is quite big around 7m x 9m from memory, the other is a 6m x 4m........ i have all the poles for each "D" ring so the tarp is completely suported and can be pulled up nice an tight, so nothings flapping about. Another tip is just get one tarp thats big enough to cover the tent with a mtr or so of verandah right the way around, and have another to set up a kitchen gathering area, that way they are both easy to handle and you can set up your camp however u want.
    Bundy Rum.......... Not just great for breakfast.

Tks for the replies guys,
    We have BCF here in Adelaide, will check them out,

Tks for the tip on the Cairns barge, will check it out, just loved Weipa fishing,

Regards,
    Gary

Tarps are like anything.
    They can be very good quality but the price is more expensive.
    The colour of the tarp is a consideration too.
    White or silver is the go for coolness.
    For real good quality (but they are a bit heavier, a bit bulkier and more expensive) go and see the guys who make up the side for the curtainers...you know.... The big flappy sides you see on semi trailers now.
    I had a tarp made for the box trailer donkey's years ago and it has copped a flogging going to the tip and longish highway hauls and the only mark is where some timber with a nail worked it's way through.
    I got it made with brass eyelets and I spliced rope through the holes.

Only problem is it doesn't fold up into a tiny bundle and is heavier then the usual tarp.
    Also...mines black and I wished I went white because...gees it gets hot
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Tarps are like anything.
    They can be very good quality but the price is more expensive.
    The colour of the tarp is a consideration too.
    White or silver is the go for coolness.
    For real good quality (but they are a bit heavier, a bit bulkier and more expensive) go and see the guys who make up the side for the curtainers...you know.... The big flappy sides you see on semi trailers now.
    I had a tarp made for the box trailer donkey's years ago and it has copped a flogging going to the tip and longish highway hauls and the only mark is where some timber with a nail worked it's way through.
    I got it made with brass eyelets and I spliced rope through the holes.

Only problem is it doesn't fold up into a tiny bundle and is heavier then the usual tarp.
    Also...mines black and I wished I went white because...gees it gets hot
    Tks for the info,
    May go for the "ready made" for now, should be able to carry a spare,
    Once I'm happy with the size, will have a look at a custom job
    Regards,
    Gary

Hi mate. I have always used a silver tarp over the tent. Light is good for setting up but keeps the sun off and keeps off small branches and sets up a tropical roof which is so much cooler. In heavy rain it beats the tent fly too. Bcf or other camping stores have them with the reinforced eyes. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Hi mate. I have always used a silver tarp over the tent. Light is good for setting up but keeps the sun off and keeps off small branches and sets up a tropical roof which is so much cooler. In heavy rain it beats the tent fly too. Bcf or other camping stores have them with the reinforced eyes. Cheers
    Tks,
    Looks like BCF will be the first port of call, a mate tells me they have the ones with the rings here in Adelaide,
    Won't miss trying to get the bird droppings off the canvas either, used to make a mess when I was nth of Broome,
    Regards,
    Gary

Gary if you get an extra poll or two and make up a spreader bar to run through the apex of your tarp !, makes them a lot more sturdy.

Scott

Tks Scott,
    Will do, after looking around this morning, some other outlets are also selling these tarps with the reinforced metal ring, must have caught on down south already

Let a lot of extra poles, (including a spreader), and pegs go with the camper, will have to replace with new ones
    Regards,
    Gary

Leave the ones from supercheap alone...the last wto I got from there the tabs that hold the "D" rings pulled out with very little effort.

I got a couple of OZTRAIL tarpes recently and they don't seem too bad for the $$$.

Lots of camping stores have them but they don't all carry all the sizes....one size I use I can get from BCF, another I get from my local independent.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Leave the ones from supercheap alone...the last wto I got from there the tabs that hold the "D" rings pulled out with very little effort.

I got a couple of OZTRAIL tarps recently and they don't seem too bad for the $$$.

Lots of camping stores have them but they don't all carry all the sizes....one size I use I can get from BCF, another I get from my local independent.

cheers
    Tks for the heads-up on the OZTRAIL, much appreciated
    A lot more to tarps than meets the eye,
    Regards,
    Gary

yep what barrarart said.....
    thats the same tarps we have but our are a bit longer one way so it pokes out past the kitchen area to give you a bigger awning..
    ive rigged up two of those little jiggers, the spring loaded red mushroom thingies to stop the tarp from rubbing straight on top of the tent where the frame runs thru.
    the one thing that we noticed the most was the amount of diff in temp when the tarp is up...halves the heat in the tent.

Agree with above the supercheap tarps a utter rubbish, expensive at half the price, the brand BCF sells lasts very well.

Tks Guys,

Much appreciated,
    Regards,
    Gary