Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Tarps over Tents?

Re: Best Tarps over Tents?

my 2 bobs worth
    have springs on all ropes,,i find i have very little trouble with pegs getting pulled when the wind blows,or the ropes shrink from getting wet.Also much easier to get equal tension on all ropes
    I also loop the rope around the pole before putting it on the top of the pole.. this stops the wind lifting the tarp off the pole.
    I use a silver/green tarp.Light and easy to put up..doesn't take up a lot of room in ute.
    Jim

Tks Jim,
    Although I had springs an all my camper ropes, I just might have not bothered for a tarp, tks for the tip!
    Regards,
    Gary

I run a 30'odd by 21 odd ft tarp above the tent with mosteyes used springs and good pegs and never have a drama but in have used bigger than that and then dust off my old ridge pole which does add to set up time. Another thing in sand use milk bottle lids under your poles. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Tks ozscott,
    Had some great info,
    Will start measuring up and have a look at my options,
    All posters here have made that job easy
    Much appreciated
    Regards,
    Gary

I use a 30" X 20" green & silver one most of the time and this seems to work fine
    also use a heavy canvas tarpaulin one in the same size, the same as what the truckies use over their loads, I think mine came from the army, only problem is they are quite heavy, but will hold out the harshest weather, both tarps are quite a few years old now and still going strong, make sure your pegs are strong enough and use springs on all guides
    Barra, Boars, Bundy & bare arsed
    cottersfnq@yahoo.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by mouse71 View Post
    I use a 30" X 20" green & silver one most of the time and this seems to work fine
    also use a heavy canvas tarpaulin one in the same size, the same as what the truckies use over their loads, I think mine came from the army, only problem is they are quite heavy, but will hold out the harshest weather, both tarps are quite a few years old now and still going strong, make sure your pegs are strong enough and use springs on all guides
    Tks Mate,
    Yours and other tips here have made it so easy,
    Much appreciated,
    Might carry a spare, less weight in the boat
    Regards,
    Gary

Here is my setup, golden rule #1 pole in every hole #2 spring on every rope #3 ridge pole for support. In strong wind i also throw a a couple of ropes right over the top to stop the ballooning. I also pin the ridge pole into position at the correct length so in strong wind it doesn't self adjust if the wing nuts aren't tight enough.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Quote Originally Posted by griz066 View Post
    Here is my setup, golden rule #1 pole in every hole #2 spring on every rope #3 ridge pole for support. In strong wind i also throw a a couple of ropes right over the top to stop the ballooning. I also pin the ridge pole into position at the correct length so in strong wind it doesn't self adjust if the wing nuts aren't tight enough.
    To stop the updraft I put centre pole with reinforced eyelet & loop in middle pole, then just tye it down with ropes & springs worked good for years .Silver traps from Army 'D's are good value..

Quote Originally Posted by jimbamb View Post
    I also loop the rope around the pole before putting it on the top of the pole.. this stops the wind lifting the tarp off the pole.
    IJim
    Now there's an idea I could use. Thanks!