Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: solder weld then crimp or crimp only

Re: solder weld then crimp or crimp only

you can still solder those closed end lugs ,they just splatter a bit more when dipped in the pot.in my experience i have found many terminals corroded that havnt been soldered,copper lugs will corroded if not soldered.
    each to there own i guess ,i prefer the open lugs as it guarantees solder coverage.
    i do like that crimping tool

just a couple of pics of my[ state of the art ]battery cable soldering machine mk1
    the first pic is the pot i use a torch to heat it up until the solder is melted.
    the second pic is showing the solid solder rod i melt to keep the pot full
    the third pic is of my crude but effective blue point crimp tool
    fourth pic crimp tool different angle
    fith pic is cleaning flux ,you need to dip the crimped terminal in the acid before you dip it in the pot and watch the splatter,it burns.
    once its cooled heat shrink it and your done ,will last longer than most boats .
    you can see how you can solder the closed end lugs now by dipping ,works great
    ps ,use tinned battery cable,it is available.

Quote Originally Posted by OPTI View Post
    you can see how you can solder the closed end lugs now by dipping ,works great
    ps ,use tinned battery cable,it is available.
    Do you do that for a living or is it a hobby as you will be undercut by those who just crimp as your method is time consuming and more costly than crimping alone

used to be a living now more of a hobby come part time ,easier ways to make money than working on boats .im just showing you guys a relatively cheap ,do it your self so to speak bullet proof way to do it ,its time proven practice,and relatively easy to do.
    i do like the double thickness heat shrink with sealer ,il be looking for that now ,add that to the solder process you carnt get better.

Now that's a vice.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Now that's a vice.
    you need that for holding on to corroded suzuki gearboxes while you tourcher them with heat

Look at what I found for those wanting to pot their terminations.
    Can hold 1/2 kg of solder and is 50mm wide
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48761
    And this one can hold 2.3kg and is 100mm across
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48764

What a coupla beauties!!
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

great find there finga ,i might have to upgrade my equipment,just got to find one of those hydraulic crimpers now

Quote Originally Posted by OPTI View Post
    used to be a living now more of a hobby come part time ,easier ways to make money than working on boats .im just showing you guys a relatively cheap ,do it your self so to speak bullet proof way to do it ,its time proven practice,and relatively easy to do.
    i do like the double thickness heat shrink with sealer ,il be looking for that now ,add that to the solder process you carnt get better.
    I wouldn't say that. Its your method, you done a few connections over the years from word of mouth of another person who has done a few. Point is, there has been countless studies done showing crimping is far more reliable than solder.

I am fortunate in so many ways on this topic, having worked for manufacturing companies over the years I see products of the same type fail, and you get to see the patterns. I have products I have designed sell over 10000 units and I have to deal with manufacturing flaws in those designs. I can assure you that a crimped connection rarely fails if done properly, where as failure of soldered connections is much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Its your method, you done a few connections over the years from word of mouth of another person who has done a few. Point is, there has been countless studies done showing crimping is far more reliable than solder.

I am fortunate in so many ways on this topic, having worked for manufacturing companies over the years I see products of the same type fail, and you get to see the patterns. I have products I have designed sell over 10000 units and I have to deal with manufacturing flaws in those designs. I can assure you that a crimped connection rarely fails if done properly, where as failure of soldered connections is much higher.
    are you saying crimping vs solder?or crimping vs crimping and soldering.
    i wouldnt say just a few mate more like hundreds,i did a marine apprentiship [4 years]and worked full time as a marine mechanic for15 years,and like you i have seen many failures in marine electrical systems ,mainly caused by corrosion,crimping doesnt stop corrossion an a unsoldered tinned copper terminal will corroded in a marine enviroment inless sealed in some way ,and soldering seals it pretty good imop.

if you really want to do a study on crimping vs soldering ,try this ,go to your boat trailer lights [submersible] and cut the indicator wires at the lights ,should be the yellow and green wires ,now put a crimp connection on the yellow and just twist and solder the green and just put some insulation tape over the join as for the experiment i want the water to still get to the join,but not rub and short out ,and see which connection last the longest

I have one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-8-Tonne-H...item5add3622c5

I always use duel crimp lugs and resin filled heat shrink and tinned wire.. yet to have a failure as well.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    I have one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-8-Tonne-H...item5add3622c5

I always use duel crimp lugs and resin filled heat shrink and tinned wire.. yet to have a failure as well.
    Dont believe you, only a soldered connector wont fail

I am going to turn this one over to the google experts now, waste of time discussing it any further.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Dont believe you, only a soldered connector wont fail

I am going to turn this one over to the google experts now, waste of time discussing it any further.

Hence I said no Failures to date

It's all very well to state that it needs to be soldered but if the soldering isnt up to standard I would rather be relying on my crimper
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech