Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alvey Reels

Re: Alvey Reels

YOU'RE NOT TAKING THE KINGSWOOD!! I just baygoned the mudflaps!

She only comes out on Australia Day for a cruise.

A lot of wasted rego $ for 1 day a year...........

or do you go for the cruise always looking in the rear-view mirror???

(perhaps this is the one with pensioner rego??)

As for the original question,
    anyone who bags out alvey reels has never learned to use one,
    they are great for braid or mono, and are the best reel to give to a newbie,
    strong and reliable, they almost never fail.

Muzz

Muzz

I am definitely an Alvey lover... but I do own other reels.

I think that fishing methods play to the advantages of the gear used.

I don't think an alvey would compete with other reels, tyring to do the techniques that advantage them.

But an alvey playing its own game...ahh different thing.

these egg beater and bait caster blokes need their braid for sensitivity........the alvey is so much more tactile because you have the line in your fingers.
    They are smoother because most have no gear train
    And the old chestnut about poor drag......hell you got a "T shirt" don't ya

If you are trying to be smooth, stealthy and tactile..it is hard to beat an alvey.

As far as line capaicity, you have to have a very large lump of any other real to even come close.

AND, I have never seen one that could not be fixed.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    .....the alvey is so much more tactile because you have the line in your fingers...................................
    If you are trying to be smooth, stealthy and tactile..it is hard to beat an alvey.

As a dedicated bait fisho, I overwhelmingly agree with that.

I take out a range of reels when I go fishing and I find that my Shimano baitrunners to be superb for unattended lines and snapper fishing in general where I choose 20 lb or 30 lb lines.

However, my greatest delight and excitement comes when I pick up my Alvey reel on a 10 1/2 ft Wilson Live Fibre Rod with 12 lb line.

Ostensibly, this is my bream outfit but as a tactile rig for catching plate sized sweetlip, snapper and especially tuskfish with their almost imperceptible bites, that Alvey/Live Fibre rig is the very best outfit that I have ever used.

For heavier fishing where I am using 20 lb or 30 lb lines, I prefer the compactness of a spinning reel, with my preference being the Shimano baitrunners.

I know it will sound silly to the "modern tackle " blokes but there are still quite a few who go out in aboat with a 10 to 12 foot rod and a 6 inch side cast, chasing snapper and all sorts of stuff.

"Check out the old guy with the surf rod"

The big rod has many tricks and that old alvey can pull all the tricks you pay hundreds of $$$ for in a bait runner...especilay if you have one with the drag.

The bait runner may have 2 drag systems, the Alvey has 3.....If you count your "T" shirt.

And don't think they are limited to bait fishing..........

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Love it when a plan comes togther..Dusted off the 6 inch alvey, 15 lb line, 8 ft rod , pea size sinker in 40 metres ..5kg snapper..palms got a bit warm as it took off along the bottom fraying my line..lucky to get it really...nice sunday morning...

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    The big rod has many tricks and that old alvey can pull all the tricks you pay hundreds of $$$ for in a bait runner...especilay if you have one with the drag.

Yup! Agreed. What the baitrunner gives though is compactness. Also, I have a lever drag on my main Alvey reel and it is is not as easy to set as on the egg beaters. It is a bit too sensitive to movement of the lever. Nonetheless, it is still my favorite gear for bait fishing. The length of the rod makes it a bit clumsy to use in a boat if line has to be untwisted at the end of the rod and I have learnt how easily such rods break when you bend the tip by hand (bugger! ) but nonetheless they are great rigs to fish with for the bait fisho who likes to actively fish.

It is also interesting to see the current TV promo for "Home and Away" on Channel 7. I have never watched the show so I have absolutely no idea what it is about nor where it is located but in the promo, the older character is shown fishing from the shore of a bay with an Alvey reel on a long rod. That surprised me as I am assuming that the show is a southern made show and I don't usually expect to see Alveys being used by the Mexicans.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    It is also interesting to see the current TV promo for "Home and Away" on Channel 7. I have never watched the show so I have absolutely no idea what it is about nor where it is located but in the promo, the older character is shown fishing from the shore of a bay with an Alvey reel on a long rod. That surprised me as I am assuming that the show is a southern made show and I don't usually expect to see Alveys being used by the Mexicans.
    That's Alf.
    And I've never seen him catch a fish.
    But it might help if I watched the program I reckon.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

it's filmed on the northern beaches of sydney at Palm Beach area.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    And a Kingswood to match??

It is the Vacationer II with 253 with T-bar trimatic and power steer and A/C and central locking AND cruise and GTS dash and factory tint and all that stuff.
    Only thing not from the factory is the mags but I have the original wheels and wheel trims in the shed.

She only comes out on Australia Day for a cruise.

I don't intend on doing it for a while yet, but when I die, I don't want to go to heaven. I want to go to Finga's shed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2iar View Post
    I don't intend on doing it for a while yet, but when I die, I don't want to go to heaven. I want to go to Finga's shed.
    Gidday matey.
    Gees eh. Haven't heard from you for ages
    The Kingswood's my coffin. It'll save the arguments when I'm dead
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Gidday matey.
    Gees eh. Haven't heard from you for ages

Very true! Welcome back 2iar!