Thread: 2-piece barra baitcaster

2-piece barra baitcaster

Hello all

I was thinking about building a two-piece 5ft 6 inch barra baitcaster as a project but am having difficulty finding a suitable blank. Would the following SCIII blank from St Croix work? Any suggestions on where best to shorten the blank? I'm hoping to be able to cast lures from 10grams to 25grams, but would mainly be using lures like Flatz Ratz (15 grams I think).

3S66MHF2

6'6"
    8lb-14lb
    3/8oz-3/4oz
    FAST
    Butt:.525
    tip:4.5

Best wishes, Ian

Re: 2-piece barra baitcaster

Give Gary Howard a ring on 07 388 13550. He will be able to assist you in selecting the right blank which he will carry in stock. Its far better than getting one in from the states mate. He has most all the brands and has very good stocks of all.

Stu
    Precision Rods

I'm based in Canada, though thanks for the suggestion! And no, there aren't any barra here...it's for the annual trip back to Cape York

Best wishes
    Ian

Ian ,
    You would have to cut to much off the blank from the bottom to make the lenght you want,therefore losing the power in the lower half you need.You cant cut off the tip as you will lose the action you need.
    You have plenty to choose from in the states just scoure the web sites.Check brands like batson ,MHX,Lamiglas,or Russel blanks from Matagi.even some of the new jig blanks 2piece pe2-4.
    Graham

Thanks Graham: I've had a pretty good look already, and there are bugger-all in the way of two-piece bass blanks (there are a few three-piecers, but I'm not interested)...there's an MHX that seems about right, rated 12-20lb, but at 7 foot it's even longer than the St Croix.

Ian