Thread: moreton island fishing

moreton island fishing

hey ausfish members im new to offshore fishing just looking for some advice on where to go to get some good bottom fish at moreton and also chase some kingys and wahoo ect me and my brother are planning a trip out to tempest and then to hutchies on the weekend if the weather is good any advice on where to go wat bait to use ect will be muchly appreciated cheeers and look forward to hearing from you thanks dan

Re: moreton island fishing

dan basically youve said all that you need to know tempest is good for a bottom bash providing the current allows you to hit the bottom just be sure on your green zones out there and a para anchor is wortwhile. find the eastern ledge at hutchies worth a troll for hoo'' livies will produce the better fish at either spot can get them from any beacon in the bay. keep in mind hutchies is a shallow reef system and can be greatly affected by boat traffic as to how it produces always get better results fishing it on a weekday. or before sunup.

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    dan basically youve said all that you need to know tempest is good for a bottom bash providing the current allows you to hit the bottom just be sure on your green zones out there and a para anchor is wortwhile. find the eastern ledge at hutchies worth a troll for hoo'' livies will produce the better fish at either spot can get them from any beacon in the bay. keep in mind hutchies is a shallow reef system and can be greatly affected by boat traffic as to how it produces always get better results fishing it on a weekday. or before sunup.
    hey mate thanks for that much appreciated

G'Day 5100VR, I started offshore fishing around moreton a year ago. There are plenty of sites on the web with public GPS marks. These are a good place to start. I have found some of the best fishing spots within 150 - 200 metres of these public GPS marks. Get the Hooked magazine from the news agent and it will show you an arial picture and GPS marks. Tempest is a good place to start due to the size of the reef. As aboev stated, get a para-anchor, without it there is no point going out. Bottom bashing will start to quiet down now and teh current will start to pick up. Trolling for hoo, macks, tuna, dollies etc is a good bet now and also jigging for kingies and AJ's. There will still be some fish around all year for bottom bashing. As stated live bait is better, but dont stress if you cant get it, buy fresh fish from the CO-OP's for bait (bonito, mullet, gar, scads are all available). Otherwise use lures and 200g+ knife jigs.

Good Luck - Adam

I haven't been outside for a while but as you pass the lighthouse take a heading of 170 degrees for 17klms and you should hit a patch that shoals from about 100m up to 70-80m. Store your drifts so that when you get fish you can repeat the same drift.
    This all depends on the run of the current (hence the previous mentioned drogues) of course but should get you within a bulls roar. I have managed to get snapper most of the year round on whole squid or, better stil, whole green tigers or kings. Don't waste them as if you get no fish you can always have a chomp on the bait!
    Sorry I can't be more accurate as I didn't have a GPS until a few years ago as my wife reckoned I knew how to get to the right spots so why did I need one.
    Couldn't think of a reply at the time.
    Tight Lines
    Steve