Thread: Painting Jigheads - what to use?

Painting Jigheads - what to use?

There seems to be a consensus that using Jigheads offshore needs fluro colours in deeper water. Some know I have been making my own jigheads for a while now, but I am hoping to start trying 70+ meters soon. I have also made a couple of experimental deepwater jigs I need to get some paint onto.

What paint can you use? Enamel or water based? Do you need an airbrush or something to get an even coat? What processes? Do you need to prepare the Jighead in any way? ( an older jighead goes dull after a while)

Lots of questions I know nothing about, advice greatly appreciated.

Scalem

Re: Painting Jigheads - what to use?

hi mate, you may be better considering some powdercoat ... I'm not sure paint is going to last that long ... especially with the toothy critters. When are you taking me out for a chunda next?

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...wder_paint.htm

Ta
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post
    hi mate, you may be better considering some powdercoat ... I'm not sure paint is going to last that long ... especially with the toothy critters. When are you taking me out for a chunda next?

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...wder_paint.htm

Ta
    Matt
    Thanks Matt, never used powdercoating, I am a novice in that regard but the site you provided gives good instructions so I will give it a crack M8! You get to chose a colour for being such a helpful dude, and I will order. I have even got the jigs made with your name enscribed on them, but I will have to do a better job than the dodgy paint finnish I currently have - hence the question. If you look closely your will see Matts name on them.....The hooks used on the experimental models are the 10/0 Gamakatsu saltwater fly hooks so I don't think any AJ or Kingy will break them in a hurry do you? I'll get Tim to order the bacon and cheese rolls?

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    There seems to be a consensus that using Jigheads offshore needs fluro colours in deeper water. Some know I have been making my own jigheads for a while now, but I am hoping to start trying 70+ meters soon. I have also made a couple of experimental deepwater jigs I need to get some paint onto.

What paint can you use? Enamel or water based? Do you need an airbrush or something to get an even coat? What processes? Do you need to prepare the Jighead in any way? ( an older jighead goes dull after a while)

Lots of questions I know nothing about, advice greatly appreciated.

Scalem
    Mate,

Get a jar of white standard powder coat and a jar of super glow white from kingston lures (Victoria) for about $25.00 delivered by express post.
    Better still you are welcome to come to my place and I will do some for you and show you all the secrets before you outlay any $$$.

Thinking of getting the mould in the attached pic.

I will send you a PM - that's very generous of you. That is one awesome looking Mould and might be a real goer. You might be showing me a few secrets but I have a few up my sleeve too, maybe we should meet Barry.....

Scalem

Definately powder coat your jig heads, and as Dayoo said, get the glow stuff. If you bake it on after coating (really simple) then they are very durable - more so than any paint I've tried.

Colour doesnt matter too much as most colours are not visible at the depths you want to fish with jig heads that big.

The two in the pic below are 16gr and 40gr from memory, but I make them up to 100gr. A quick modification with a dremel to a sinker mould to hold the wire eyes works well, as do the other moulds that you can buy. And if you want to make more than a couple, get some pre formed wire eyes (ebay sellers are cheapest) Saves heaps of time and you get a good even tow point.

Back when fluoro nail polish has just ceased to be trendy, I cought a couple of bottles for $2 each in different colours. I wish I had got lots more. It is great for colouring h/b lures and jig heads. Just a bit embarassing for a 50+ male buying nail polish, but what the hell.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    Mate,

Get a jar of white standard powder coat and a jar of super glow white from kingston lures (Victoria) for about $25.00 delivered by express post.
    Better still you are welcome to come to my place and I will do some for you and show you all the secrets before you outlay any $$$.

Thinking of getting the mould in the attached pic.
    Well a couple of weeks later, I did go over to see Barry, and very VERY pleased with the results with powdercoating. Thanks Dayoo for the time taken to show me and also order the 1st lot of powdercoat for me. Only thing now is, there is nothing left to powdercoat!! All my jigheads are now some of the nicest looking jigheads you will see around, and my own creation ( which Barry and I estimate 2.75 ounce) called the Big Bertha has a coat of glow white. Retail shops can keep their $10.00 for similar size jigheads that are not even powdercoated. I have reduced my cost right down to a fraction by making my own, and extreemly happy with the result.

Silver powdercoated 1 ounze

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Well done Brian, excellent job for your first attempt.
    I'll have to put you on as my apprentice

Catch up soon .

Cheers
    Barry

Yes Barry, apprentice maybe, happy to be referred to as your apprentice, but I will never know as much as you about making hot lips and things with "Bling" hanging off them. My project was just to increase the likelyhood of fish striking at my jigheads in water deeper than 50 meters.... That was the original plan, until you showed me that silver.... Now my tackle box looks nicer than the front counter of Wallace Bishop - and that's B4 we order dragon fly and other colours! You da man!!

Scalem