Thread: real service? who

real service? who

can any 1 recomend a good place to service my tyrnos in the maroochydore noosa area.

thanks
    jp

Re: real service? who

Two places Wayne at maroochydore fishing world is good in first avenue and also MIke from Kawana Bait and Tackle both are bvery good

Mate, I have to strongly advise you to try it yourself.

www.alantani.com is the place to start. Before being shown Alans site I was never confident pulling my reels apart in any detail. I now actually enjoy doing it. Pulling each and every screw out, geasing and oiling parts...its very rewarding.

Have a good read through Alans site. First read up about servicing and packing bearings, read through some stuff on drag washers. Then go to his online tutorials and your away. All you really need is a few different screwdrivers, spanners, the shimano drag and handle tool that comes in the box, some blue outboard grease and some shimano drag grease and your away.

Its nice and easy and its great to see for yourself how the reel works and what parts are wearing.

I'll second that. alantani, and do it yourself

thanks fellas.
    i had a look at that site, excellent idea hes got there but the only prob there's no listing for the tyrnos. i do like the sound of doing it my self i just dont want to stuf up my real so without any tutorial i may just take it in to be done... but im very tempted to pull it apart .

jp

go through all alan tani's forum and you should get an idea whats servicing is all about.its not hard at all n if you do stuff up,the back up plan is the tackle shops or back to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by jason p View Post
    thanks fellas.
    i had a look at that site, excellent idea hes got there but the only prob there's no listing for the tyrnos. i do like the sound of doing it my self i just dont want to stuf up my real so without any tutorial i may just take it in to be done... but im very tempted to pull it apart .

jp
    Didnt your reel come with a schematic of the bits and where they go?

I cant say ive studied the Tyrnos Schematics, but I would say they would be very similar to a TLD or TLD 2 speed(even my tiagra 16 is pretty similar). Follow the steps for those reels and you will be fine. I have a bunch of ice cream container lids that i lay out on the bench so i can put parts in order as I pull them out so i know which way they go back in. The majority of the external screws and things like the ratchet you will be able to just pull the screws out and grease them one by one and put them back in straight away.

Is the reel a 2 speed?

I forgot to mention, if you are going to give it a crack, get yourself some CRC carby cleaner in the spray can from supa cheap for cleaning out your bearings before re packing them.

hey jeffo
    no its not the two speed. i have herd they are similar to the tld and allan tani has the step by step for the tld so i will give it a shot. makes it alot easier to see it done than to stumble your way through. carby cleaner will sure strip off the old grease.

TTF- with alittle help from various sites i hope i dont need that back up plan

jp

Shimano do a great job of servicing their reels, you can download the service form from their website. Just post it off and they post it back. Normally takes a week.
    If you are going to do it yourself, practice on an old reel first, not your favourite.
    Once you have some confidence with it, then you can service your others.
    It is easy to some, but others are never comfortable with doing it.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au