Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could your reel be killing you?

Could your reel be killing you?

Should'a been a copy writer for the sunday mail with a headline like that

Serious question though.

I recently purchase a low cost reel on e-bay.
    Just needed a couple of cheap bait casters for visitors and kids.
    Anyhow, the reel arrived promptly and as is my habit, I stripped it to make sure all the bearings were properly greased and everything was as good as you could get for $20
    You'd be surprised how many "top line" reels are poorly lubricated from new.

What caught my eye in this unit is the drag washers (photo's attached)
    I'm no rocket scientist, but the look of the material and the letters ASBEST emblazened across it do not fill me with confidence.

I have notified the ACCC of my suspicions that the material is asbestos and an investigation is underway.
    I won't name the product or where I bought it because firstly, I can't be sure that it IS asbestos.
    Secondly, the importer may not even know what the washer is made of, so I'm not pointing any fingers there.
    If it is found to be a prohibited import they will be notified and required to do a recall.

It does point out that you do get what you pay for to a large extent.
    And that the safety and manufacturing rules in countries like China and India are a long way short of our own.

Now I'm not a "sky is falling" guy when it comes to asbestos. When it's not in particle form it's pretty inert.
    Trouble is, drag washers (like break discs) are friction components and likely to create some dust over time.
    Probably a million to one shot that in this application there would be an issue, but...

Who knows?.. maybe only takes ONE fiber lodged in your lung to cause Mesothelioma 20 or 30 years down the track.
    No real problem for older farts like me. I'll probably be pushing up daisies by then, but I had a new grandchild born today.

How'd you feel if you knew saving a few bucks meant they had to pay the price some time down the track? Cheap reel for the kids remember?

I'll let you know what the ACCC reckons when I hear back.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Re: Could your reel be killing you?

I recall sitting in asbestos prefab classrooms as a kid while there was construction going on and working on cars with asbestos brake pad and clutch discs. perosnally I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill with your reel.

Well golleee cleatus!
    I'm sure glad none of that there asbestos done hurt you any!
    I'll just stop a fussin' and a hollerin' nows I knows it's harmless.

Did you even read what I wrote?
    Pretty sure I said something about the chances of harm being low in this application.

I'm old enough to remember when James Hardy sponsored our premier motor race.
    I also have been exposed to asbestos in many ways.

The fact remains it (asbestos) is a prohibited import.
    There is no "acceptable risk" that I can see here.
    Plenty of other materials exist for this job.
    Why expose any more people to something we know is bad for you?

I suppose I shouldn't have quit smoking because that hadn't killed me yet either.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thanks Owen and well spotted.

I suppose it is the curiosity factor about the products material. And if it wasn't for people like yourself that notified the correct department, who knows how many other products would be sitting in our houses and sheds with a " potential " to do us harm.

Not quite off on a tangent, but I am really starting to make a concerted effort to not purchase items from some countries. The materials they use are substandard and it is a false economy to buy cheap and nasty products. Sure the engineering might be good, but the actual materials are crap, in most cases.

Look forward to hearing of the results from the ACCC.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Owen

Thanks for pursuing this and congrate on the new grandchild.

I have watched a mate go downhill and die due to asbestos and my father has lung issues as well due to the same stuff. Holler away mate.

Steve

Great work on spotting this issue owen and you should be congratulated for bringing this to the attention of everyone on this site ,asbestos is deadly and i am aware of the problems this material has caused having lost a good friend to asbestos related disease 3 years ago . My mate was one of the people that cleared out the old james hardy factory at the back of gaythorne in the early 80s and it didnt get him until 3 yrs ago and it wasnt a pretty site i might say . James hardie have a lot to answer for having been responsible for the mining of this product at the same time it was banned in the U.S ,you cant even go into areas of wittanoom in N.W west australia . When we worked in newman in the 80s we were actually encouraged to go there for our leave to explore the gourges and the town that still had a pub at that time . The dismissal by anyone of this dangerous product shows a lack of understanding or shear ignorance as to its inherant problems ,i have also worked around it over the years and am now totally aware of the dangers and want nothing to do with it . Thanks again owen for making us aware and yes one fibre can kill ....matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Good work Owen, I work in an industry where safety is the number one priority. Things only get better when everything is reported and followed up no matter how small or trivial it may seem at the time. Remember it was only an o-ring that killed 7 astronauts, a collegue ruptured tendons in his ankle from stepping a stone the size of a pea. They may seem insignificant at the time, but the consequences are high.

Kudos to you for following this through and ensuring others are safe.

Congrats on the new grandchild

regards Adam

Just imagine how shuddery that drag would be!! lol Jeezus!

Good spot Owen. I would contact the seller however and let him know your concerns.If it is asbestos the seller can inform the manufacturer. May not go anywhere but you will have a clear conscience.

Congrats on the Grand Kiddy mate...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I see that the nanny state has done its work well.

ASBEST could stand for the town in Russia and might have been made there but even that would not be encouraging because the town is named for asbestos mining.

Don't get the idea I am smart or knowledgeable - it was a 'Google' search.

Dangerous or not, the report of finding it was interesting.

You could be on the money there Owen.

I imagine that a lot of the cheaper reels on Ebay do come from China, and as you've stated, that country mightn't place as much importance on things like this as Australia.

It'll be interesting to see what the outcome is.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Great work on spotting this issue owen and you should be congratulated for bringing this to the attention of everyone on this site ,asbestos is deadly and i am aware of the problems this material has caused having lost a good friend to asbestos related disease 3 years ago . My mate was one of the people that cleared out the old james hardy factory at the back of gaythorne in the early 80s and it didnt get him until 3 yrs ago and it wasnt a pretty site i might say . James hardie have a lot to answer for having been responsible for the mining of this product at the same time it was banned in the U.S ,you cant even go into areas of wittanoom in N.W west australia . When we worked in newman in the 80s we were actually encouraged to go there for our leave to explore the gourges and the town that still had a pub at that time . The dismissal by anyone of this dangerous product shows a lack of understanding or shear ignorance as to its inherant problems ,i have also worked around it over the years and am now totally aware of the dangers and want nothing to do with it . Thanks again owen for making us aware and yes one fibre can kill ....matt
    I remember that place..did a lot of work in there in the 70's.

I worked at the old pie factory there as well ,i think it was called tip top it put me off meat pies for years ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......