Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sea salmon cooking

sea salmon cooking

I've been catching a reasonable amount of around 2 kg sea salmon in a gutter off Bombo beach but other locals tell me that there's no point in keeping them as no matter what you do to cook them they taste terrible. I can't believe that!

These fish are great sport (particularly on light gear) and to land one is a reasonable effort.

Anyone got a recipe?

Bombo Bar

Re: sea salmon cooking

They have a very strong 'fishy' taste that most people find a bit too much to handle. When you catch them, bleed and ice as soon as possible.

They are an ideal fish to use in a curry or heavily spiced dish, so that you get the 'seafood' accent into the dish. The flesh also holds up well when used this way.

They do NOT lend themselves well to the 'dust in flour and shallow fry' method. They do however lend themselves well to the old time mullet fishos method of 'chuck the whole fish into the campfire embers then peel off the skin and scales and eat method'.

Its a bit like all fish......when you catch them treat the fish with respect in terms of 'kill/bleed, ice, prepare'.

No fish will be pleasant eating if it is just chucked on the beach after capture and gathered up at the end of the session for cleaning and head scratching as to what to do with it.

I eat them reasonably regularly, there is a few very simple rules to follow, first off, look afer the fish when you catch it, get it on ice (or at least cool) ASAP, fillet and skin it, and cut away any blood meat, pretty easy to do, then just treat it as any other fish, cook in flour, crumbs or batter, they are fine to eat, BUT do not let them sit in the sun for hours, do not freeze them, and do not fool about before they are filleted, follow those simple steps and you will be one of the converted. Plenty will tell you to toss them back, but in fact, they have probably never eaten them at all, just relying on old wives tales! They are also good in curries and so on, cleaned the same way and cut into cubes. hhmm Greg has said most of this!

OH and I forgot, regardless of what others tell you (me included) try them yourself, you may find they are just your taste, but also may find them to be crap, it is a matter of try it and then you will know for sure.

I'm guessing this isn't about the lightly poached and served with cold schnapps type salmon?

You are guesing right GBC.

I'd give smoking them a go. Can't hurt and might surprise you.

On our recent trip to Fraser, we used a Nipper Kipper smoker to cook lunch a couple of days. Even dart come out tasting quite like a delicacy so the salmon would be quite tasty I'd reckon. Mind you, the fish were caught, filleted and smoked immeadiatly, whilst we had a couple of ales.

had smoked Salmon (Aussie Salmon this is) heaps of times, they come up a treat, and in fact one of my favorites to smoke, filleted when nice and fresh, blood meat cut off, soaked in my secret brine mix and smoked, delicious!

The smoking idea sounds excellent. I've got a smoker sitting in the garage with some hickory wood chips so will dig it out for the next salmon I get. Thanks guys.

Bombo Bar

Give them a go. I have used them in Thai fish cakes and they were great.
    Its funny how a lot of people condemn fish without trying them. I remember my early days off Gladestone where the locals would not touch a Parrot except for bait. They said they were mushy. Fresh Parrot are near the top of of my favourite table fish now.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Salmon patties

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Give them a go. I have used them in Thai fish cakes and they were great.
    Its funny how a lot of people condemn fish without trying them. I remember my early days off Gladestone where the locals would not touch a Parrot except for bait. They said they were mushy. Fresh Parrot are near the top of of my favourite table fish now.
    Actually, that reminds me of one of our favourite meals here. We do use tinned salmon but if you subb'd in fresh cooked or smoked salmon, you'd have a good meal.

About 400gr cooked salmon(flesh seperated)
    400gr or so of mashed potato(very dry mix)3 or 4 medium spuds
    1 onion chopped
    1 or more cloves garlic chopped.

Lightly cook garlic and onion and mix into mashed spud.

Fold in salmon flesh.

Form small handfull of the mix into pattie and either shallow fry or cook in a flat
    sandwich press.
    { I find this is the best method as if the mix is a little soft it gets a cooked skin on both sides to hold it together better}

It's possible to use packet mix potato mash but if there is wheat product in it, that rules out GI people from eating them. I use gluten-free cornflour or crumbled rice bubbles as a thickener/filler if it's too wet a mix. You'll know by feel what condition the mix is.

Got to agree 100% on the Parrot quote Horse. I was spoiled with fresh parrot as a kid from my best mates dad who went reef fishing regularly. It's divine when same day fresh.
    Last edited by 4x4frog; 17-11-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: change post title

Thanks 4X4 Frog
    Very similar to the recipe I use (handed down from my mother) for what we call fish rissoles.

The only difference is I crack an egg into the mix to help bind it together, then dust the finished rissole in flour before shallow frying.

Works with the flesh of any fish you have left over, even canned tuna (that ones a favourite with all the family that have unadventurous palates).

And the leftover rissoles can be used as sandwich filling the next day for lunch (my favourite).

Greg

Nothing wrong with a good old salmon, same as mullet, great tucker in my books, fried, smoked, curried and mediterannian style.

They are great double wrapped in foil and placed on top of a BBQ.
    In the foil put;
    Fillets of de blooded and skined Aussie salmon
    Lemon and orange slices
    Knobs of butter
    Mixed herbs

Or add in the foil all the ingredients you would use in a green curry, Or red curry.
    Tastes better then bassa

thing we found really nice was using a packet of dried tomaato soup sprinkled on top of the fillet wrapped in foil and throw into tthe embers of the campfire embers washed down with cold beer yuuuummmm might have to do some in the morning lol