Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

Why are lures and tackle so expensive here in OZ. For example in most shops X raps are 20 -25 bucks but you can get them in the US for 6 dollars. It seems we may be paying more for no reason

Re: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

Wish I could find the biggest Xraps over there for that money.

quite often here in Aus you have wholesalers/importers who buy the rights to import a certain brands and be the sole wholesaler for the brands. So it's an extra person in the loop.... alot of big tackle stores/ chains buy straight from the manufacturers and get good deals aswell! I know one tackle wholesaler here that often winges that he can buy form some US based stores cheaper that the manufacturers will sell direct to him , yet he paid for the rights to sell there gear!!! Ah the world economy it's a brave knew world!!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Australia is not much more than the petty cash tin to most of these large manufacturers. Our market is so small in most items we do not even rate...an importer here would not get the best prices due to the small quantities they purchase compared to other places..plus the mark up, import duties, GST etc etc etc.

The US operators work on a much lower margin (due to the volume of sales), they have a much lower buy price (because of the volume of sales), their freight component is lower (becaus eof volume of sales and competitiveness of shipping into their market). Not sure if it still there....but there is a tackle shop in Hawaii that sells more Penn reels per year than the entire australian market does.....as Pinhead said....we are not even petty cash to the suppliers on the world market.

Economies to scale...we are at the bottom end of it.

I don't buy the economy of scale argument - other items (eg home electrical gear and many cars) here are reasonably priced so why should tackle be any different? Sole supplier arrangments, middlemen and greed are the problem. Look at how many tackle shops and boat makers we have - we might only have a modest population, but many of us fish.

Simple solution is to buy offshore.
    Usually only 10 days to get here.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Yeah I do now finga but I do like to support the local guys- I got 4 xraps the other day from the US for 30 dollars delivered. That is almost the same amount I pay for oe here where I live.

i am considering purchasing a new jigging combo at the moment. can anyone recommend a cheap overseas website to buy from?
    What day of the week is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    I don't buy the economy of scale argument - other items (eg home electrical gear and many cars) here are reasonably priced so why should tackle be any different? Sole supplier arrangments, middlemen and greed are the problem. Look at how many tackle shops and boat makers we have - we might only have a modest population, but many of us fish.
    Cars and electrical gear have a much bigger market than fishing gear.

Sole supplier arrangements and limited middlemen are an issue but they are the result of the small market for fishing gear. Simply put there isn't enough volume or demand to drive competition in our suppliers (suppliers/middlemen)

Wink Re: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

Quote Originally Posted by samsy View Post
    i am considering purchasing a new jigging combo at the moment. can anyone recommend a cheap overseas website to buy from?
    have you been hearing all the reports from out wide and getting keen samsy. do a search on the older threads and you will find more US sites than you have time to look through. US ebay is good as well. in australia rayannes in SA have some good combos at really good prices.

Three step distribution here.

Manufacturer to importer/wholesaler to retailer/reseller to end user.

Although there are the examples of simple greed.Solas props direct to the public 3 x times the US price.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by SchmucK View Post
    Cars and electrical gear have a much bigger market than fishing gear.

Sole supplier arrangements and limited middlemen are an issue but they are the result of the small market for fishing gear. Simply put there isn't enough volume or demand to drive competition in our suppliers (suppliers/middlemen)
    None of the above explains why our cars/home electronics gear is (mostly) reasonably priced, yet our market is tiny compared to many others (eg the USA). You can't use that argument selectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    I dont buy it either. We may be a small market when compared to the US but when our participation rate is taken into account we bat well above our weight in the global fishing market. The problem is more prevalent in higher end products and niche products where a middle man has the sole distribution licence. Brands like maria, gamakatsu, gloomis, yozuri etc etc so it goes without saying that they are the brands i go either to the US or Japan. The volume brands are much better priced and if the dollar stays high it is only a matter of time before it is not worth the effort buying some items OS, penn spinfisher at mo's and ocean storm $129 and much the same at basspro as an example since penn was mentioned.

DF

We may very well punch above our weight but that is to use percentages,manufactures don't give a second thought to percentages the only number they factor in are SKU's and whether that figure justifies them having there own precence in a market as small as ours or more often than not appoint a distributor hence the 3 step distribution resulting in higher prices.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent