Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

Re: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

thanks scotty

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    have you been hearing all the reports from out wide and getting keen samsy. do a search on the older threads and you will find more US sites than you have time to look through. US ebay is good as well. in australia rayannes in SA have some good combos at really good prices.
    What day of the week is it?

I recently spoke to my boos who was just back from the usa, he was saying that bmx bikes that are 450$ here are 150 in the US, t shirts that we fork out 50$ bucks for are 15$ there, outboards here at 1400 are 7500$ there, it seems 1 reason to add to the others is that we are prepared to pay that price so thats what they charge..

just about everything in Aus is more expensive that what can be purchased overseas.

Guys it's a worldwide market, so if you have the chance buy world wide. I believe the retailers Association in Australia is lobbying gov't to charge GST on purchases from overseas on anything over $400. Thats right instead of offering a better price to our consumers the retailers Association is ASKING government to charge us extra tax! At the moment I am suprised that Labour is resisting this move and I think the time has come for the Australian consumer to vote with their wallets and continue to buy from overseas when ever they can. The Aussie retailers will soon get the message that they have to cut out these middle men and become more competitive or they will go out of business. A free market will always win in the end.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Guys it's a worldwide market, so if you have the chance buy world wide. I believe the retailers Association in Australia is lobbying gov't to charge GST on purchases from overseas on anything over $400. Thats right instead of offering a better price to our consumers the retailers Association is ASKING government to charge us extra tax! At the moment I am suprised that Labour is resisting this move and I think the time has come for the Australian consumer to vote with their wallets and continue to buy from overseas when ever they can. The Aussie retailers will soon get the message that they have to cut out these middle men and become more competitive or they will go out of business. A free market will always win in the end.
    Will you be more competitive and take a pay cut? Will you work overtime without pay? Will you take a cut in your super? Will the government reduce taxes?

Because the workers in the countries you are shopping in sure don't enjoy the same wages and benefits that you do.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    Will you be more competitive and take a pay cut? Will you work overtime without pay? Will you take a cut in your super? Will the government reduce taxes?

Because the workers in the countries you are shopping in sure don't enjoy the same wages and benefits that you do.
    I shop online and buy from USA or UK. The same products from tackle stores in these Countries are at least double the price in Australian tackle stores. As well the larger tackle stores in the USA have a huge range of products that are not stocked in our tackle stores BECAUSE the Australian distributor of the various brands only imports selected items.

The middle man (Australian distributor) is marking up most items 100% and then selling to tackle retailers. There is nothing to stop Australian tackle retailers buying direct from overseas and I know that a few do this.

As regards the comments in the quote above I am sure that the workers in the US and the UK enjoy a similar standard of living as we do.

Wake up and join the global economy.

Cheers
    Barry

That is correct, except we are talking about the same products made overseas and imported into Australia where the retailer, or importer makes ridiculous markups.

Or the manufacturer makes it more expensive when they sell it to Australia.

Either way we Australian consumers are being ripped off.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    I don't buy the economy of scale argument - other items (eg home electrical gear and many cars) here are reasonably priced so why should tackle be any different? Sole supplier arrangments, middlemen and greed are the problem. Look at how many tackle shops and boat makers we have - we might only have a modest population, but many of us fish.

Unfortunately Strewth it's true ........ our volumes dont compare ( this is the same for pretty well every imported product or raw material)
    Then we have the distributors - those that have the rights to bring in the products ......... unfortunately these guys are the ones that cause the real pain for consumers - They pretty well set the RRP . Its then left up to the retailers to make whatever they can.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    I shop online and buy from USA or UK. The same products from tackle stores in these Countries are at least double the price in Australian tackle stores. As well the larger tackle stores in the USA have a huge range of products that are not stocked in our tackle stores BECAUSE the Australian distributor of the various brands only imports selected items.

The middle man (Australian distributor) is marking up most items 100% and then selling to tackle retailers. There is nothing to stop Australian tackle retailers buying direct from overseas and I know that a few do this.

As regards the comments in the quote above I am sure that the workers in the US and the UK enjoy a similar standard of living as we do.

Cheers
    Barry
    Just a question what is the minimum wage in the USA and what size is the market? I don't doubt that a lot of the importers are lining their wallets but you are ignoring the very real fact that the average australian worker has a very high standard of living and good benefits compared to other countries and someone has to pay for that, and that's you and I. Except that you wont so that just leaves me.

Quote Originally Posted by samsy View Post
    i am considering purchasing a new jigging combo at the moment. can anyone recommend a cheap overseas website to buy from?
    Have a look at Reelseller on ebay. I have found him to be trustworthy & competitively priced.

bassfan

Just a question what is the minimum wage in the USA and what size is the market? I don't doubt that a lot of the importers are lining their wallets but you are ignoring the very real fact that the average australian worker has a very high standard of living and good benefits compared to other countries and someone has to pay for that, and that's you and I. Except that you wont so that just leaves me.
    so while your at it i'll grab a dozen rapala magnums thanks mate..

jp

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    I shop online and buy from USA or UK.

Cheers
    Barry
    I think I'll stay with this one thanks, or havn't you heard?

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
    The Impact of the European Debt Crisis on U.S. Import Prices going up... Unemployment Rate: 9.6% in Oct 2010
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

I think the prices of stuff in Aus is obscene... a mate of mine has been talking about some Bomber lures that are supposed to be the ducks nuts.. he paid $20 for his from the local tackle store... So I went on line to a site called fishermansource and picked up a hand full of them for $5 each with $7 postage to Aus.. arrived yesterday and I am happy with them.

Just bought a new Shimano 18000 SW stella and Shimano GT Special Rod for $1100 total from O/S (Reel Seller)- closest anyone could come in OZ was around 1600. That is a pretty big saving