Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

Re: Why is tackle so expensive in Oz?

mo are great but it is impossible to beat US atm with our $ where it is, IMHO.
    The service from the US is also excellent, icing on the cake really.
    Make hay while the sun shines I reckon.
    Somehow I don't think it is the small corner store tackle retailers that are making big $'s in Aus, once upon a time fishing tackle was sold from barbers' shops!
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    None of the above explains why our cars/home electronics gear is (mostly) reasonably priced, yet our market is tiny compared to many others (eg the USA). You can't use that argument selectively.
    so a 10 carat diamond will have the same network of importers to retailers etc as a cheap car as a lure..be serious.
    Our electronics and cars are as dear as poison.nearly everything is here.

so what is the best site to buy tackle from? I have searched a few but dont know if they deliver here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    so what is the best site to buy tackle from? I have searched a few but dont know if they deliver here.
    Some US SITES that I have got off of here are

REEL FISHING DEALS
    CHARK BAIT
    TACKLE DIRECT
    CABELAS
    J&H TACKLE
    BASS PRO SHOPS
    TACKLE WAREHOUSE US

Cheers,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    None of the above explains why our cars/home electronics gear is (mostly) reasonably priced, yet our market is tiny compared to many others (eg the USA). You can't use that argument selectively.
    Yeah both our fishing gear and cars/electronics markets are small compared to the rest of the world. But compound that thought further by the fact that the Australian cars/electronics market will dwarf the fishing market.

I think it was mentioned before, it's not relative percentages - it's relative numbers. Even though our car/electronics market is small compared to the world, there's enough numbers in the domestic market that will drive prices down. The numbers just aren't there in tackle to have that competitive drive. A new supplier/middleman won't want to put the effort in to get better discounts/deals because the numbers just aren't enough to make it worthwhile.

A couple of things annoy me. The dollar has been above 90c US for a long time now, long enough for us to see some of the savings passed onto us, the customers.
    I have not seen a significant drop in the high end fishing reels such as the Stella and Saltiga yet. Nothing wrong with the importers/distributers and tackle shops taking a bit of extra cream during this time, that's great news for them. But to pass basically none of the savings onto us is rude.

If a Stella cost 1200 bucks to buy back around the start of last year and a big part of that was the aussie dolllar faring poorly that's fine, we have to except that, But for it to still cost that much when the exchange rate has lifted some 30c to the dollar smacks of greed.

I want to buy local too but in a situation like this have no conscience issues when I can buy a reel such as a Stella and save nearly $500. $500!!! I'm not asking local tackle stores and the ditributors to match that but there is serious problem if the discrepancy is this big.

Recently I tried to purchase tackle off the sole Australian distributor of a major fishing brand with the intention to start a business and sell tackle online.

I was given a flat no as I do not run an outlet store. I cannot sell online only.

That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    Recently I tried to purchase tackle off the sole Australian distributor of a major fishing brand with the intention to start a business and sell tackle online.

I was given a flat no as I do not run an outlet store. I cannot sell online only.

That sucks.
    This is the situation with many products in Aus, the distributor holds the power to call the tune to the retailers, and exercises it ruthlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post

That sucks.
    That wasn't Frogley's was it??

This mob stinks of greed.
    As an example...they sell do-it molds.
    US from Do-it molds are roughly $30-35. The same price as most places in the states.
    Australia: Frogley's price around the $80 and $30 for postage for something that weighs about 300gms. (It's testing my memory but I'm sure the figures are right seeing there are some molds for sale here for $75)
    At the time it was the same price to get 3 molds sent from the US
    The same story went when I asked about Gama hooks.

Go make your own mind as whether it's greed or other influences.

It's a shame for Frogley's as I knew Mr Frogley when we lived at Alstonville in the 70's.
    He gave me one of my first tackle boxes and was the nicest man.

And then insult is added to injury when places like Mo's and lot's of other places sell stuff online in Australia.
    You just need to have a shop front and then you can sell online.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I am currently looking into buying tackle overseas and flogging it here in OZ as the ark ups are getting ridiculuos. I was in a tackle shop the other in TSV saw a 125 Cubera popper for 60 bucks. I can buy the same lure from Indonesia ( they are real 2) for 22 bucks. Even if I sell em for 40 I will still be 20 bucks under the tackle stores- doesnt make much sense

The fact that some wholesalers don't want to sell to online-only outlets isn't because they just don't feel like it. It's because their bricks-and-mortar stockists would throw a fit. "Joe Blow is selling your brands online and his prices are lower than mine because he doesn't have to pay rent" etc etc.

It would be nice to see prices of imported goods reflect the strong Aussie dollar. I know the guy who distributes Boga-Grips dropped his prices the last time the dollar was strong, so some suppliers do make the effort.

As a stab in the dark, I'm guessing the others' thinking is that the public don't want to see prices rise when the dollar is weak, so why drop prices when it is strong?
    Yeah, some women actually know a thing or two about fishing. Who knew?
    http://alchemyfishing.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

Because we are suckers, even Ma n Pa retail operators in the US (those with minimal across door clientele same as here) are able to survive quite well.

[quote=Nic;1222987]The fact that some wholesalers don't want to sell to online-only outlets isn't because they just don't feel like it. It's because their bricks-and-mortar stockists would throw a fit. "Joe Blow is selling your brands online and his prices are lower than mine because he doesn't have to pay rent" etc etc.

So so right Nic,why risk selling into you shopfront outlets for the sake of a few onliners who then go prostitute the price to buggery because they can with less overheads to worry about.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    The major retailers in the US have good prices but charge minimum of about $40 for shipping plus $15.00 surcharge. The smaller sites offer even better prices and only charge the actual shipping.

Reel Fishing Deals is the best for Shimano reels and braid and has free international shipping on all orders over $80.

Captainhooksdiscountwarehouse is the cheepest on hooks and ships in a small flat rate box for $13.45 (about 500 hooks depending on size).

The largest retailer of fishing accessories is Barlows Tackle but you have to order min of $100 plus pay about $55.00 for shipping (standard flat rate box which has a max weight of about 9kilos).

Cheers
    Barry

I have received great customer service and good prices from anglers-tackle in the USA. Peter is extremely helpful and has great communication

Also, see Owen's post titled "is your reel killing you", this would also explain why some OS imports are so cheap. They contain cheap items that are prohibited in Australia due to safety concerns. Granted, this is not top name brand stuff, but inferior components are sometimes used to keep prices down.

Regards Adam

While on the topic, be wary of buying soft baits from OS as Customs may seize them. It's not just the biobaits like Gulps, it's regular soft plastics as well. One of my colleagues has a box of SPs being held by Customs, they're demanding a list of ingredients before they will release them.
    Yeah, some women actually know a thing or two about fishing. Who knew?
    http://alchemyfishing.blogspot.com.au/?m=1