Thread: Anyone bought and tried a Scaler-Mate

Anyone bought and tried a Scaler-Mate

The new rechargable scaler mate - any good?

I suspect they are fine to medium scaler not up to bigger scales on the sides of barra or jew but maybe good for removing smaller scales - does anyone know?

The Bigger flat scales can be removed with the shovel but the areas around fins, gill, tails etc ??

Purely speculating here as I have only seen them used on small to not big fish that fit on their clip cutting board.

Currently I use the plastic "Nitro" scaler it seems okay - anyone have a favourite.

I am presently going offshore and cleaning the fish in the boat as the ramp has no facilities - so I clean fish in a large plastic tub and scales fly everywhere and some fish have very hard to remove scales - tomato cod last trip had a heap of small hard to remove scales over it - so just considering safer or better options.
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Anyone bought and tried a Scaler-Mate

Never heard of it, so I did a search and found the youtube vid

it looks OK, but its just an electric scaler that will do a faster job than a hand scaler? doesnt seem to have any other advantages. Still, Id buy one just cos I like gizmos.

my problem is that I have no scaling facilities at home, now that Ive moved into a small unit, so I have to fillet in the boat, and I dont want scales flying everywhere. A tub isnt gonna fit on a 4.1m boat ha ha.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Doesn't really look any faster than manually scaling a fish.

I kind of think if you need an electric scaler, you should, scale your catch before it dries out, you are trying to scale a fish that should be skinned, you are bone lazy, your current scaler is some sort of department store rubbish, your deckie needs to get up to speed or any combination of those things, A good commercial scaler will rip the scales off a T rex! (if they have scales) and are cheap enough to buy, have a look at fish markets and see what they use.

I reckon it's easier, quicker and less messy to just skin the buggers instead of scaling.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

lucky to scale a snapper.
    I have forgotten how.
    Whiting, i use garden hose.

I haven't scaled a fish in over 10 years. All mine are filleted and skinned. Can't beat boneless, skinless fillets for the family. Pan size fish like squire are gutted and gilled and cooked whole and the flesh served skin down so the flesh can be eaten off the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I reckon it's easier, quicker and less messy to just skin the buggers instead of scaling.
    Second That

I caught a tomato cod last trip and the scales were small and very difficult to remove - even on a fresh wet fish. I prepared the fish and baked it with slices into the flesh filled with butter and garlic. The skin resembled pork crackling and was real tasty.

Yes i am a fan of filleted, skinned and boneless - had to do this for my father as he was hopeless at swallowing bones and ended with hospital trips.

I agree it appears to be another gadget for the gadget fettish fisherman and just in time for Christmas.
    Cheers

Trev

Sometimes the family wants whole fish (I prefer to do the skinned/boneless fillets -much quicker) I have one of these, doesnt look like much...but it is the bomb!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magic-Scaler-...item2c58d2a63c

Cindy

I wonder if it would do big barra?