Thread: Outwide Of The Cape

Outwide Of The Cape

The disicion was made on Saturday night to fish a isolated reef in 250mtrs wide of the Cape instead of the normal journey to tin can bay.We left scarby at 4.30am on Sunday and was greeted with a bit of chop as we rounded the Cape.
    So we threw a few lures out and trolled until it became smoother the further out we got.
    With not a touch on the lures, the outriggers and lures were lifted and the electric reels were dispachted and lowered to the depths.We caught some good fish with some Hapuka and bar cod along with a few odds and ends.
    Its always a lucky dip with fishing such deep water and this was no different.
    My crazey deckie Gill insisted in dropping with a conventional rod &reel and soon grunting and grooning in pain as he wound up from the depth to find he had only caught a shark.
    We also had a dolly come circle the boat and he was fed a mix of bait to keep him interested as i tied a soft plastic on which as soon as it hit the surface was quickly eaten and i had a good fight on my hands.We lost the battle after a few good jumps and runs by a fish that would of easily gone 15-20kg as we couldnt chase it with 300mtrs of braid on the bottom of the ocean and a angry hapuka that didnt want to come up.
    A good day had by all and some good fish caught.
    Cheers Mick.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	62811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 2.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	62812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mick 2.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	62813  

Re: Outwide Of The Cape

I went out Sunday from Scarborough and was pretty choppy up near the cape. You were right in saying the further out you went the better it got though

Winding a shark up 250mt would be a killer blow haha!!!

Thanks for the report mate.

well done fellas great report. shame about that bull dolly that got the jump on you

In the middle pic is that a pinnacle with waves breaking over it in the background outwide1?
    Great fishing/diving spot by the looks........nice fish and pics!

good to see you got out mick , hopefully the lures are not far away from being smashed from bill fish (bring on the blacks)
    what is the middle fish and does it eat allright ?
    wayne

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    In the middle pic is that a pinnacle with waves breaking over it in the background outwide1?
    Great fishing/diving spot by the looks........nice fish and pics!
    I think its Noumea!

good one Mick. Do you think it was worth the trip to that depth?
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nice fishn mick, great feed on that bar cod. could i ask what sort of reels are you using and do they have the power all the way to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by kitty_cat View Post
    good to see you got out mick , hopefully the lures are not far away from being smashed from bill fish (bring on the blacks)
    what is the middle fish and does it eat allright ?
    wayne
    Looking forward too Wayne to dusting off the gear and doing a trip with both boats.The middle fish was shit,its flesh was like a mac tuna and was cut up for red bait next time we are up to DI.
    Talk soon mate.

Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    nice fishn mick, great feed on that bar cod. could i ask what sort of reels are you using and do they have the power all the way to the top?
    We were using Diawa Tannacom Bull 1000s and did the job with ease.Well worth the money and look forward to giving them ago on the reds up at DI.

SPIRO,It was well worth it and breaks up the whole bottom fishing thing that can be a bit boring after a while cacthing pearlies and snapper etc.I plan to do it again

What was the current like.My son has just got one of these reels can't wait to use it