Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what is more important to you???

Re: what is more important to you???

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I dont think that it is a case of taking a feed - I really dont think that too many have a problem with it - However , there are way too many think that the limit is the target.
    strangely - you hear plenty of whinging about the "yellow raincoat brigade" who get as many members of the family on the jetties / rocks & beaches and take as much as they can,

I have actually heard it straight from guys mouths that they will catch more trout than their limit - because their mates in another boat will either not get there before the bite ends or not have the ability to get their bag ......... no crap!

We talk of bag limits ...... but how many go out & one member is a competent fishoe and gets his bag while the rest struggle............ funnily they come back with A BOAT LIMIT! ......... better still when part of the crew are their missus and kids.
    Come on ..... get real

& please - dont try telling me that this is not common ..... because I've been asked to do it several times by family members and mates.
    That is one thing that means jack - in catch & release

chris
    The yellow raincoat brigade keep everything. They exceed bag limits and size limits without thought. They thumb their noses at the Authorities and everyone else. They should not only be whinged about, they should be reported, at every opportunity, for whatever good that does.

I absolutely disapprove of a boat catching over it's limit and sharing up later with other boats. It is illegal. Period.

There have been several occasions when my boat has carried the limit. One auspicious day at Rooneys we picked up 20 Snapper between 4 of us in about 90 minutes. Not a clue who caught the most, definitely not Mumsy, as she just watched.

Fisheries turned up and checked our fish and a few other bits and pieces. Guess what? NO PROBLEM! WE WERE WITHIN THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE LAW. And guess what also? All the fish were eaten, most of them frozen first. The bag is always shared. But I have to spend $150-$200 on fuel, get out there, and if I have 5 Snapper but no one else has a bite yet, I have to stop fishing and give the others a fish or two? What a peurile, unimaginative and self righteous remark.

My stars, what a horrible bunch we were, and I only hope to escape the judgement of our oh so superior self righteous ones.

I wish there was a smiley that did a two finger salute. \!!// will have to suffice.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

You should run for Parliament Tim..put on 20 or 30kgs and with your turn of phrase..you would be just like Russ Hinze reincarnated.

I agree with Nagg. The raincoat brigade must be penalised, taking all and sundry and undersized etc is a crime. Ive seen it too, but not often. I think the great majority of fishos abide within the law.
    There are some who are just ignorant and uneducated, for which these days there is little excuse.

What bothers me is the relentless attitude that insidiously infers that taking fish to eat is well, not so good. It is a self righteous attitude. It does assume a position that I must educate the masses.
    Believe me if that thing keeps going there will be a ban on fishing in the future.

I also consider restraint, shying away from excess, but if a crew of people go fishing and the target is the "limit" there is nothing wrong with that, as Timi Boy says, and Fisheries will not have a qualm either.
    Its the taking illegal and undersize, excessive slaughter of fish stocks etc that we all have to worry about, but lets have some balance, its ok to say, I bagged out! Hardly anyone does, but well done if you do!
    Flatzie

Unhappy Re: what is more important to you???

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    The yellow raincoat brigade keep everything. They exceed bag limits and size limits without thought. They thumb their noses at the Authorities and everyone else. They should not only be whinged about, they should be reported, at every opportunity, for whatever good that does.

I absolutely disapprove of a boat catching over it's limit and sharing up later with other boats. It is illegal. Period.

There have been several occasions when my boat has carried the limit. One auspicious day at Rooneys we picked up 20 Snapper between 4 of us in about 90 minutes. Not a clue who caught the most, definitely not Mumsy, as she just watched.

Fisheries turned up and checked our fish and a few other bits and pieces. Guess what? NO PROBLEM! WE WERE WITHIN THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE LAW. And guess what also? All the fish were eaten, most of them frozen first. The bag is always shared. But I have to spend $150-$200 on fuel, get out there, and if I have 5 Snapper but no one else has a bite yet, I have to stop fishing and give the others a fish or two? What a peurile, unimaginative and self righteous remark.

My stars, what a horrible bunch we were, and I only hope to escape the judgement of our oh so superior self righteous ones.

I wish there was a smiley that did a two finger salute. \!!// will have to suffice.

Tim

So - We follow the regulations ......... to an extent !!!! - Is that what you are trying to say ?.
    I know it happens because I've seen it happen & been told by others over a beer it happens.
    As I dont mind a feed of fish (I just dont fish for a feed very often ) its not a case of being self righteous ....... just pointing out a mindset that exists in the fishing community .

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

So - We follow the regulations ......... to an extent !!!! - Is that what you are trying to say ?.
    I know it happens because I've seen it happen & been told by others over a beer it happens.
    As I dont mind a feed of fish (I just dont fish for a feed very often ) its not a case of being self righteous ....... just pointing out a mindset that exists in the fishing community .

Cheers

Chris

Hey Nagg

Youre off the wall picking up on that point of Timi boy"s in red. Thats the point. I think Timi Boy has the right balance on the take issue for the boat.

Cheers

Yawn

I must admit, we fish the same as Tim (only better!) and can't see how we are folowing the rules 'to an extent'. We are never in excess of our limit in possession. We fish for the day and share the catch at the end, so no one takes home (in possession) a catch exceeding the legal limit. The rules are able in possession and that is what we stick to. Like wise, if we get one fish and there is two of us, then it is a fillet each - so be it. Some days I have a good day and other day it is a mate - we share and stick to the rules.

Steve

Tim

Anyways back to the story....
    Something I've always wondered about with the pure catch and release people.
    Where do they get their fish from to eat to have a healthy, balanced diet?

Don't the experts recommend 2 serves of fish a week??

Like hell am I going to release a fish (if I'm that lucky to get on in the 1st place) to then go and buy Basa from Woolies.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Hey Nagg

Youre off the wall picking up on that point of Timi boy"s in red. Thats the point. I think Timi Boy has the right balance on the take issue for the boat.

Cheers

Yawn
    Thats how I read it ........

Anyhow - no point going on with it - people can do what ever they feel like ......... take their limits , take what they need or catch n release -

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thats how I read it ........

Anyhow - no point going on with it - people can do what ever they feel like ......... take their limits , take what they need or catch n release -

Chris
    Huh. Talk about a back down.

Go read the regs, bud, pick up a dictionary, and figure out what "in possession" means. When you've figured that out, come back with a considered opinion instead of being a joke, eh?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post

Anyways back to the story....
    Something I've always wondered about with the pure catch and release people.
    Where do they get their fish from to eat to have a healthy, balanced diet?

Don't the experts recommend 2 serves of fish a week??

Like hell am I going to release a fish (if I'm that lucky to get on in the 1st place) to then go and buy Basa from Woolies.

They are vegetarians . It's seems there are too many nosey fisherman around. If it's legal and ur within ur limits. Whats the problem.

Bringing it back to another point about deckies and who catches the fish.

So if Deckie A catchess 6 snappers out of 10 total and decky A decides to keep 5 and give one to Deckie B. No i can't see a problem with that.

Poor old Deckie B is a soft plastic fisherman

Huh. Talk about a back down.

Go read the regs, bud, pick up a dictionary, and figure out what "in possession" means. When you've figured that out, come back with a considered opinion instead of being a joke, eh?

Tim

No back down Tim ......

No need for a dictionary either atm

"In possession" - I think I know the meaning of that !

I just want to share this with you

"A bag limit is the number of fish that one person can legally take and keep".
    - this is taken from the DPI website.

Nothing about catching any more and dividing up with his/her crew .

Now I wonder how the fisheries inspectors would respond if you asked them ? ....... or if you told them that you caught all the fish! - Somehow , I think there might be a little problem !. .....
    Would you stand by your conviction then ?

Tim , oneday you will see boat limits of fish ....... set numbers, regardless of crew members .

Chris

PS - btw .... I'm just making a point here!
    Individual bag limits can mean bugger all in reality.
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just love watching an idiot go down with a sinking ship while he insists he's standing on a mountain.

I catch one. I give it to the bloke next to me. He is in possession of one. I am in possession of none. I'd love to see Fisheries argue with that. They wouldn't, because they know it's spurious (look that one up, too).

If you are seriously trying to mount a case that the above is not correct, then I'd suggest that you are making an outright fool of yourself.

Tim

I just love watching an idiot go down with a sinking ship while he insists he's standing on a mountain.

I catch one. I give it to the bloke next to me. He is in possession of one. I am in possession of none. I'd love to see Fisheries argue with tha
    t. They wouldn't, because they know it's spurious (look that one up, too).

If you are seriously trying to mount a case that the above is not correct, then I'd suggest that you are making an outright fool of yourself.

Tim
    No need to look spurious up Timi - and even though I think you used the word incorrectly (from my understanding) ....... it does describe your mindset / reasoning - very much inline with what I underlined.

No point going on with it any more

Have a nice day

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I love reading this stuff, just wish I had the literature proficiency of others on this site.

For what it's worth, if there are 3 people on my boat and I catch 15 snapper (its never happened yet) then we stop catching snapper and we target another species. At the end of the day we get 5 fish each. If however we only catch 1 fish, like happen on Saturday we got a 1/3 each ( a 1/3 of a tuskie an't much).
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Also that one fish cost $104 in fuel, plus bait, plus fishing gear lost hooks sinkers etc.........
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things