Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G-loomis options........help please.......

G-loomis options........help please.......

Hi Guys,

I am seeking the help of G-Loomis owners everywhere...........

With the Aussie $$$$ going ape waste, it's become impossible to resist loading up on a few new toys from the states, will be difficult to stop at just one new rod, so myself and a few mates are getting together and doing a bulk Loomis order.
    From the stores I have already searched, the savings are approx a third of the best prices available in Aus, ex - a $260 rod in the states is about $395 over here. High end NRX, the savings are well over $200 a rod.. With a little negotiation, great deals can be done on Postage/Shipping.

I am seeking help & Recommendations for suitable G-Loomis rods for casting/jigging/trolling our dams for Australian Bass. Most lure types/styles will be used, casting jackalls/small hard bodies/plastics/Spinnerbaits, vertical jigging blades, ice jigs, plastics and trolling shallow and deep diving hard bodies and anything else I am still to learn about. Line class will be anything from 2 - 6kg in either Baitcaster or Spin. Lets just say we want to fish our awesome dams more often .

Fire away with rod models and what techniques work best with that particular model. What Lure models and Fishing styles work well with your Fav Light/Med Loomis outfit. And also what reels match nicely, line class etc

Also your thoughts on rod length for the different styles of Bass fishing.......

Keen to hear it all.............

Thanks & Regards
    Craigie.

Re: G-loomis options........help please.......

Hey Craigie,

just thought i would let you know, that doug burts at southport have 40% off loomis atm.

im not sure on what prices are with loomis gear - but 40% off isnt bad.

Joe

Distribution of G-Loomis rods in Aus have recently moved fron Todds to Shimano. Shimano will now have GLoomis world wide. Most shops are selling the Todds stock they have on hand at bargin prices. I just picked up a GL3 SJR843 suited for hopping Masks for just under $240. Best price I found for that in the US was $220 + postage (Loomis Shop, American Leg.)
    If I got the coin next week I'm gunna grab a Mossy Back BSR852 for just under $300, best US price I got is $245 + postage.
    Cheers

Thanks Guys, they are good local deals that I will investigate further.

The Yanks will do free shipping on multiple rod purchases............

Mike,

What style of fishing would best suit the Mossyback (BSR852) you intend to buy ?

Thanks
    Craigie.

The mossy back is your choice

I have a BSR 852 GLX ( re-coil guides, not for everyone ), probably my favourite rod
    It can cast plastics down to about 1/8th and up to 1/2 with ease.
    About the only limitations I can see is throwing the lighter hardbodies as anything under the 1/8th weight its a touch stiff for but if the hardbody has a bit of weight the 852 is your rod.

Quote Originally Posted by craigie View Post
    Mike,

What style of fishing would best suit the Mossyback (BSR852) you intend to buy ?

Thanks
    Craigie.
    Hopping Masks for bass, + a great plastics rod (bay) for snapper, lizards, small trev & tuna. It would also suit 1/4 & 3/8 spinnerbaits & jackalls but I prefer to fish them on baitcasters. The mossyback I like is very similar to my GL3 SJR843 just a little better. Don't ask me where pls cause they only have one left.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by craigie View Post
    will be difficult to stop at just one new rod, so myself and a few mates are getting together and doing a bulk Loomis order.
    Keep in mind that if the value of your import exceeds $1000 AUD, those customs pricks will hammer you with import taxes. I found this out the hard way and haven't recovered from it yet . They virtually hold your goods for ransom until you pay up so there's no avoiding it once they target you.

Better to pay a bit extra on additional freight than to buy more than 3 rods at once.

bassfan

Quote Originally Posted by bassfan View Post
    those customs pricks
    bassfan
    Hey......

why loomis?.they seems to be a bit overpriced especially with normal guides and the warranty is also been bumped up as well.the best bang for your bucks would be something like JDM rods.most of them is well built with quality/high end component...........guides,fittings and also they looks better compare to a loomis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Hey......
    Hey what, do you work for customs or something...? As far as I'm concerned highjacking something you have rightfully paid for & holding it to ransom until you pay an extortionary import duty is highway robbery.

bassfan

G-Loomis rods are made in the US aren't they? Therefore no duty would be payable on any such product, since Aus and the US have a free trade agreement. GST of 10% would still have to be paid on the total purchase price, but you would still be way ahead!

I went to check out some of the rods at Doug Burts and their prices are a joke, even at 40% off. If you want to buy locally try Nerang Camping and Disposals and if you are happy to go for a drive Tackle World at Kawana are very competitive with their prices.

Sorry I can't help you with the best model rods for the type of fishing you do, purely because I don't do hardly any of that type of fishing. I do have 2 DSR820's one GLX and one normal, both great estuary rods, but i tend to prefer the normal guides over the recoils.

Most loomis's bat well above the weight they are rated for also, something to keep in mind

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    G-Loomis rods are made in the US aren't they? Therefore no duty would be payable on any such product, since Aus and the US have a free trade agreement. GST of 10% would still have to be paid on the total purchase price, but you would still be way ahead!

Anthony
    Anthony I don't know where you heard that from but you were misinformed. I imported 4 loomis rods from the states last year thinking I would save $ on freight. Next thing I get a call from customs saying that they have my rods and if you want ém pay the import duty. It was nearly $400 I had to pay the bastards to get what was rightfully mine delivered. I might as well have purchased them here and got the expeditor warranty.
    Second experience with these thieves was when I purchased some lures from Japan which included a few packs of soft plastics as well as some hard bodies. My package arrived minus the SPs & with a nice little note from Australian Customs saying they were a prohibited import & had been seized. I rang the bastards and spoke to some brain dead customs bitch who refused to be reasoned with when I explained that you could buy them off the shelf here in Australia .
    I was lucky that time as I emailed the sender and he took responsibility and refunded the purchase price of the stolen lures.
    Bottom line with importing gear -keep it less than $1000AUD and forget importing soft plastics. Other than that it has been a hassle free and dollar saving experience for me.

bassfan

[quote=craigie;1214462]
    I am seeking help & Recommendations for suitable G-Loomis rods for casting/jigging/trolling our dams for Australian Bass. Most lure types/styles will be used, casting jackalls/small hard bodies/plastics/Spinnerbaits, vertical jigging blades, ice jigs, plastics and trolling shallow and deep diving hard bodies and anything else I am still to learn about. Line class will be anything from 2 - 6kg in either Baitcaster or Spin. Lets just say we want to fish our awesome dams more often .

Fire away with rod models and what techniques work best with that particular model. quote]

I have a few loomis rods for bass fishing and can recomend the following as suitable: Spinning DSR822S & Casting DSR822C as well as an IMX SJR721 light spin and a CR722 casting. Some people rubbish them and I agree there are better rods out there but the Loomis range covers every situation and they are still a quality rod IMHO. Also IMX blanks are a good balance between light, strong & affordable.

Happy shopping

bassfan