Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spin or overhead for jigging?

Re: spin or overhead for jigging?

Reggy,

Weren't you going to buy a Penn International Torque star drag? Or haven't you decided yet? If you did buy one, how do you like it? The TRQ200 can fish 14kg of drag, apparently, which is enough for most fish, in my opinion.

As I've already said a few times on Ausfish, I was using 13-14kg of drag on a Trinidad 40N, on a 21kg kingie in NZ a few years ago, and the fish never took more than 1-2 metres of the 80lb braid I was using, in one "run". The fish was hooked at approx. 80m depth, in over 100m of water, so the reduced diameter of the spool probably meant that the actual drag pressure was a kilo or two higher, at hookup. The kingie was hooked on a jig, so the hooks were through the bony outer part of its mouth - it was not like it was gut-hooked or gill-hooked, and the fish was in prime condition.

The question of whether to use a spinning reel or an overhead for jigging is, like others have said, a matter of personal preference, but it can be hard to know which you prefer until you actually hook up to a really big fish, using heavy drag. I have a Stella 5000SW, which is small but it can fish 13kg of drag (apparently - I've never gone that high), and I've caught some big fish with it, but I think I prefer overheads for jigging. The way you hold a rod with a spinning reel on it, and the way you hold an overhead rod, is different - for me, at least, a spinning outfit puts much more strain on my wrist and hand under heavy drag settings.

As far as the actual jigging itself goes, I personally find it easier to jig with an overhead, but probably only because I jig with my rod butt in my gimbal belt.

It might be a good idea to borrow someone else's heavy duty spinning reel, if you can, before you decide to spend money on one specifically for jigging.

Brent.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    Go a shimano charter special

Seriously though for me i prefer spin as it was easier to learn on as i dont use overheads that much. A decent spin reel will also pack a lot more than 15kg of drag and at times i have needed it. I also am not a fan of high speed spin reels for jigging.
    Hi Deepfried
    I think JB may have been the only one who "got" my post about the Charter Special.
    It was intended with a drop of sarcasm. I still find it very difficult to believe the published drag figures for this reel.

hi Brent
    Yes , I did buy the Torque 200. Absolutely love that reel. I actually bought it for high speed work with lures and a bit of bait fishing and because I just had to have one!
    From what I have read, a gear ratio of about 4 or 5 to 1 is best for jigging, and I don`t really have a descent spin reel, so any excuse to get a new one will do.

I think you would like the Torque also, as it incorporates a one way roller bearing for that zero backplay.

For me I find jigging with an overhead easier but fighting the fish with heavy drag and no gimbal is plain hard work. Where as an spinning outfit can be heavier to jig with and a little harder to get a more mechanical motion going but when you hook up to a fish it's alot easier to control the fish.

PlasticFantastic

i find a spin reel much easier but i think in the end it all comes down to personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Hi Deepfried
    I think JB may have been the only one who "got" my post about the Charter Special.
    It was intended with a drop of sarcasm. I still find it very difficult to believe the published drag figures for this reel.
    Reggy the Austrlian figures are most definately wrong and got lost in translation between kgs and pounds. 10@strike 15@full The US site has got it right.