Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $50,000 FINES no thanks!

Re: $50,000 FINES no thanks!

As an association we had purchased a heap of warning signs from DPI&F, but the Redlands Council wanted around $800 per sign to allow us to put them up near boat ramps. Soooo, we're gunna try Tide Books etc, and just word of mouth, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzer View Post
    G'day oyster man

Hope the message gets out and you can slow down the thefts.

On another topic, I recently caught the end of a story about oyster farming where the fella being interviewed talked about the benefits of bream (and other species I guess) feeding on the oyster beds. I didn't catch the guts of the story. Do they remove parasites etc?
    Yes, one of our biggest issues is the little black crabs, that make their way into the baskets and eat the small oysters. I've never had much luck around my lease for catching Bream, probably because they're too well fed on the exposed oyster meat and such.

We've been told of people pulling up off shore to a lease, going in on their tender boats, grabbing a basket of oysters and choofing back out to their 50 footer and skoffing them with champagne on their back decks... didn't get the rego number that time...but we will. Some of the thieves can more than afford to buy a dozen or so oysters, so why just help them selves.... 'cause that think they have a right?

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I desperately hope that no one here would commit this low act. Having highlighted it, you may well see some of us being vigilant for your sake, Oyster Folks!

How many of you are there? Do your boats/tenders have clear markings? How do we spot people doing the wrong thing?

Cheers,

Tim
    Several growers around Dunwich have recently been hit, big time. All we need is a boat rego # to start an investigation. Most of the growers have got themselves so worked up, that they're ready to ram first and ask questions later! So if you're on an oyster lease and you see a big tin boat speeding at you with a determined and sunburnt oyster grower at the wheel... you might want to move!!!!!!

If you want to meet some local oyster growers and sample some great Moreton Bay Rock Oysters... (with a few cold beers) come along to Dunwich on North Straddy, Saturday Nov 20th, starts about 10am for the OYSTER FESTIVAL, it's a top day... we'd love to have a chat too about our theft problems and how boaties can come on board to help us catch the low life's that a ripping us off, cheers to all.

I will keep my out out for theives in future. Never reall thought about it before, no I will be keeping a keen eye on the leases.

I assume all the boats associated with the lease are readily identified with the black on yellow numbers?

hope the fisheries actually do something about it as the line guys get stuff all support when recs interfere with them, making eaning a living very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I will keep my out out for theives in future. Never reall thought about it before, no I will be keeping a keen eye on the leases.

I assume all the boats associated with the lease are readily identified with the black on yellow numbers?
    RealAndy... Yes mate 'J' numbers should be clearly marked on any boat working on an oyster lease. Not all 'J' numbers are on yellow panels on some of the older boats, (like mine) but they have 'J###" marked just the same. Appreciate the feedback... happy boating

Dam shame people are doing that crap, I tried a seemly tasty massive oyster, fresh off the rocks up at Rundle Island not long ago....mmmm...I really love the IDEA of eating fresh oysters off the rocks, but the taste....are you suppost to eat its ass??? I think this guy was all ass, well thats how he tasted anyway...ekkkkkkk

Thanks for giving everyone the heads up i dont have a spare $50000

Josh

(add chilli/garlic/or smoked and they are awesome...off the rocks....not for me)
    ________
    Uggs

Apart from being ripped off. I sure hope you guys are clear from that dreaded (QX) disease, now that's a true bastard for the well being of your future stocks.
    When this does happen too strike... How do you guy's recover.? Do you introduce new spat to strenghten the already exsisting stock, because I've heard that this can take years to recover from.
    Cheers Gavin.
    "If I am going too burn time let it be holding my rod. For when it is time to lay me at rest let it be a Viking burial at it's best. Give back for what I have Taken."

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I am pretty sure you are getting confused with oysters off the rocks. You can only eat them on site, but can not take them away. They must be eaten where you extract them.

As Horse said it is illegal to take them from commercial racks.

I am not sure what the rules are about fishing within a commercial lease. I have been told it is not allowed but am unsure. I know you are not allowed to tie up to one.

Thanks to the association for posting the reminder and it would e good to get an answer to Tim's question so we can know who is acting illegally.

Steve
    Yeah thats what I meant, we don't have any racks up my way but some rocks are leases.

Quote Originally Posted by choc_e View Post
    Yeah thats what I meant, we don't have any racks up my way but some rocks are leases.
    THanks Apollo and Choc_e for the comment, (somehow I missed Tim's question)
    From my looking at the maps, there are no natural oyster beds (ie rocks or jetties for example) that have any leasehold over them... in Moreton Bay. Not sure of your area specifically. it's tru 'wild' oysters can be consumed only on site. There is a new 'license' for professional 'wild caught' oyster harvesters. These are the only people that are legally allowed to take oysters off the rocks for sale. Not just a money grab by the State Gov, this is now falling under the new SafeFoods regulations to try to clean up the industry and ensure food quality, from harvest to sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Fish View Post
    Apart from being ripped off. I sure hope you guys are clear from that dreaded (QX) disease, now that's a true bastard for the well being of your future stocks.
    When this does happen too strike... How do you guy's recover.? Do you introduce new spat to strenghten the already exsisting stock, because I've heard that this can take years to recover from.
    Cheers Gavin.
    Moreton Bay is pretty well clear of QX. Only a few areas showed up about ten years ago and have not returned. There's plenty of ways to loose oysters other than theft. Sometimes the just die, like any animal... no real reasons. They get too hot, too much fresh water for too long, seaweed and algae blooms can smother the baskets, rough weather knocks the oysters around and tears the baskets off the lines and they smother in the mud, mud worms, little crabs, hungry bream, boat strike can cut the stretched lines and a whole rack of oysters can end up on the mud and die. Now that I list them... who'd want to be an oyster grower?

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I desperately hope that no one here would commit this low act. Having highlighted it, you may well see some of us being vigilant for your sake, Oyster Folks!

How many of you are there? Do your boats/tenders have clear markings? How do we spot people doing the wrong thing?

Cheers,

Tim
    Sorry Tim, I thought I'd answered this question earlier... Commercial fishing boats (any size) must have a J### number. That's the letter 'J' and 4 digits following, some... not all have these positioned on a yellow rectangular panel on both sides of the boat.

Technically every boat "parked" on a registered lease must have 'J' numbers visible.

When my family come to work the lease with me, often there may be another boat on the site that does NOT have a 'J' number... but it's never unaccompanied by another boat that does have one on display.

Anythings that looks a little susss... usually is! Feel free to report any suspicious behaviour to us or DPI&F or the Police for that matter, better safe than sorry. And we're all trying to stop the theft any way we can.

A question for you if I may Mr Oyster Grower..
    Are the responses here the responses you were expecting to receive??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good