Thread: Another morning with Smithy

Another morning with Smithy

Headed to Mooloolaba again for another session out with Smithy. My saon, Flea, and his mate Chris came along on this trip.

I was not sure how the boys would be after spending saturday arvo at another their mate's buck do at the races..but they fronted up well.

heading up the coast and had to make a stop for a drink..who should be there? Darren..Mr bean with Badeye in tow. Off we went and whilst waiting for Smithy at the ramp..Marty (Captain Seaweed ) fronts up. Must be an inpromptu M&G.
    The weather was great so why not head out..even heard Rayken Ray on the radio at one stage down off the Goldie somewhere I think he was.

Anyhow, off we go and head to some of Smithy's spots...bloody grinners..never seen so many and so big. Damn pests.

Smithy kept moving us around a bit..the fishing was tough going and from reports on the radio i think most boats out this morning were doing it a bit tough.

Amongst the grinners we did land some other fish. Flea got a Mac Tuna which gave him a bit of fun for a while. Chris got a couple of decent size morwong.
    I got another cod. The other species caught were grinners, flathead. grinners, moses perch, grinners, pearl perch, grinners and when you were sick of that..more grinners.

Once again, Smithy did his best to try and get us on thefish. Will definitely be going again with him.

Re: Another morning with Smithy

Weather was fantastic but it did blow up about 2pm when we were coming back in.

It was our worst day we have had with regard to the catch, we head out to a usual spot a bit past Cal Wide and we got nothing. We moved around a couple of times before fishing on top of a wreck further south again.

Interstingly a large charter boat pulled their as well, and I give him absolute credit for the manner in which we shared a small drift on a small wreck, but he too said he had been all over the fish but couldn't get them to bite.

So, hopefully Marty can report better from further north where he ended up.

- Darren

P.S. - The photo of me at the front of the boat, that was when I realised the winch handle had been left at home. Don't you hate that!! Had to get off the ramp so as not hold everyone up while we loosened the winch cable with a pair of Toyota pliers that were in the car tool bag.

Thanks Greg, Yes it was a hard day out there. We went to the banks and found shows like this pic everywhere. Guess what we pulled off them......nothing. Managed 10 fish all up, pearlies, snapper, tuskie, flatty and fingermark. Found so many great shows with no success. Ended up with our final Pearlies off a mark near the blinker . Anyway saw the dolphins again and weather was unreal.

Cheers
    Marty

So tell me it wasn't worth going, so I don't feel so bad having to stay home and mow and whipper snip and slash............ Had a great afternoon though with Apollo (Steve) and his wife and two girls over along with my eldest daughter and boyfriend over for tea.

Funny though, we were going to go on a charter out of Noosa this weekend but had too much to do ( House is now on the market) so will be interesting to hear how they went. I actually said to the wife today that it was too nice and that it would be tough.........sorry to put the hex on you......

Mark

Good to have met you today but i would have liked to be putting my boat in the water like the others in your pics
    Cheers Gaven

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post
    So tell me it wasn't worth going, so I don't feel so bad having to stay home and mow and whipper snip and slash............ Had a great afternoon though with Apollo (Steve) and his wife and two girls over along with my eldest daughter and boyfriend over for tea.

Funny though, we were going to go on a charter out of Noosa this weekend but had too much to do ( House is now on the market) so will be interesting to hear how they went. I actually said to the wife today that it was too nice and that it would be tough.........sorry to put the hex on you......

Mark
    LOL Mark..the weather was fantastic..definitely worth going.

Now what a decision..run the mower and whipper snipper or go fishing.
    Does that really warrant an answer..LOL

G/day Greg seems you have taken a liking to the pleasurable pastime of just fishing without the hard work Yeah that was me on the radio gas baggin with some of the Goldie ausfishers (had to do something )the fishing down there was very slow. Lots of undersize fish, and you had the Grinners but we had there red cousins the Sargent Bakers (got several double headers). Worst of all on our last drift of the day the outboard wouldnt start (fuel pump i think) so had to call VMR for a tow home (thanks Fellas) thats fishing for you. Will catch up soon Greg, might see you at the America, Chicago, Frampton concert on Sat nite !

CHEERS RAY. Pic of Dan and another fat Mac, how bad were the Conditions !

Ray thats a bugger to here.

What time did you come in?

I came in about 3 to be meet on the last of the run out some nice presssure waves from th ne wind against tide.

Got thru easy but man it was racing.

Hope the donk is an easy fix catch up soon out there.

I also spoke with the boys on White Rhino, it is good to have a little chat out there to fellow ausfishes.

Tim
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Quote Originally Posted by rakinray View Post
    G/day Greg seems you have taken a liking to the pleasurable pastime of just fishing without the hard work Yeah that was me on the radio gas baggin with some of the Goldie ausfishers (had to do something )the fishing down there was very slow. Lots of undersize fish, and you had the Grinners but we had there red cousins the Sargent Bakers (got several double headers). Worst of all on our last drift of the day the outboard wouldnt start (fuel pump i think) so had to call VMR for a tow home (thanks Fellas) thats fishing for you. Will catch up soon Greg, might see you at the America, Chicago, Frampton concert on Sat nite !

CHEERS RAY. Pic of Dan and another fat Mac, how bad were the Conditions !
    you got it Ray..way easier..make a booking..arrive at the ramp..jump onboard..let Smithy find the spots..I fish..hopefully I catch fish...Rob is good company also and always interesting to listen to re fisahing etc. We get back..Smithy is paid and happy (hopefully) ..I go home and clean the fish and have a few glasses of wine or a beer or two..Smithy has the fun time of cleaning gear and the boat. I'll just stick with the tinny and bash around the estuaries now and then. I won't be going back to a bigger boat for quite some time if at all..been there and done that.

Not going to that concert..have a couple of others coming up though.