Thread: XOS Bruswick Brunswick Kings

XOS Bruswick Brunswick Kings

Went out fishing with On-The-Chew off Brunswick Heads yesterday in search of some bigger Kingies than we normally catch to try and get the arms stretched. Was a good day out with a few fish coming aboard the biggest beings Andrews at 18kg and a few round the 12kg mark. Also lost a few that we had no chance of stopping even on heavy jigging gear and heavy drag. Also had a Snapper on jig that would've gone about 4-5kg but when it came to the surface it spat the hook and swam away. Bugger. Highlight of the day was the fish were in 20m of water and we watched the fish follow the jig up and when you stopped then started again they would hit it, also it's not a good idea to run 15kg of drag when the fish are close to the boat like that if you had see me hooked on to one it didn't look like I was in control to much. Still good fun though.

PlasticFantastic

Re: XOS Bruswick Brunswick Kings

Very nice kings those ones. Any indication on the lengths?
    Jack.

nice kings guys. nicer still that you didnt have to go out wide for them.
    how heavy were you fishing.

Fishing heavy means a Saltiga 6500 on a Maria Jig rod and 90lb braid, Stella 10000 on a Zenaq rod 70lb braid and a Blue Heaven on Pfluguer rod also with 90lb braid. Didn't matter how tight you did up the Saltigas drag it was loosing line rapidly on a couple of fish. Thats what keeps you going back. Also I haven't no ideas on the lengths Andrews fish at the top would've been well and truly off the brag mat anyhows.

PlasticFantastic

Good work again ,you blokes sure have it together ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticFantastic View Post
    Fishing heavy means a Saltiga 6500 on a Maria Jig rod and 90lb braid, Stella 10000 on a Zenaq rod 70lb braid and a Blue Heaven on Pfluguer rod also with 90lb braid. Didn't matter how tight you did up the Saltigas drag it was loosing line rapidly on a couple of fish. Thats what keeps you going back. Also I haven't no ideas on the lengths Andrews fish at the top would've been well and truly off the brag mat anyhows.

PlasticFantastic
    damn. i get away with 80lb out wider but in 20m there is not much much room for error. loosing them def keeps you going back for more and as a beginer i have lost quite a few. might be time for a charter trip up there.

Mark,
    It was an awesome day out, not a bad way to celebrate your birthday. Definately keen to give that spot a go and have a crack at a couple of the bigger ones I missed. By the way just upped my PB by another kg, look at the scales photo definately 19kg, Shit Yah. ON-THE-CHEW CHARTERS does it again ...

Andrew

sounds like you achieved your goal for an arm stretch,great fish the conditions look really good also

Great work men, Andrew how did you find the spot and was that the depth you caught them in 20m.
    Cheers MM

Those are some awesome fish.

Jigging in 20m - you'd only be jigging for about 20 seconds before dropping the jig back down, wouldn't you? Or were you casting your jigs out?

I bet the fish were still very green when you got them to the boat, fishing full drag on that gear in that shallow water!

Brent.

MadMackeral,
    Got a rough mark off the internet and then sounded around from there. Fished in waters from 50m up to 20m, the shallow stuff being more productive but also a lot more full on once you hook up.

Andrew

thats insane fish of that size in 20m, 15kg of drag would drag me straight over the side haha top stuff

reports are there are a few good kings around atm down here at North Solitary Is

cheers Murf

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_P View Post
    Those are some awesome fish.

Jigging in 20m - you'd only be jigging for about 20 seconds before dropping the jig back down, wouldn't you? Or were you casting your jigs out?

I bet the fish were still very green when you got them to the boat, fishing full drag on that gear in that shallow water!

Brent.

We wouldn't have been jigging anymore than 10 seconds and were using jigs up to 300gm dropping them straight down. They also seemed to prefer the bigger jigs as one wouldn't normally use 300gm in 20m of water. I actually watched one fish chase the jig and hit it under the boat with 15kg of drag on' can't say i'm to keen for that again might back the drag off a little

PlasticFantastic

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticFantastic View Post
    I actually watched one fish chase the jig and hit it under the boat with 15kg of drag on' can't say i'm to keen for that again might back the drag off a little
    Bloody hell!

thats what im talkin about ,,,,,,,, a fair fight.
    well done .
    cheers swano