Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virgin barra fishin

Re: Virgin barra fishin

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
    Hey guys, I am also a keen lure fisherman, heading to Awoonga for my first time in 3 weeks. done a search last night on the forums with the key word being 'Awoonga' Found tons of info from good fishing spots, lures, braid, leader, knots, rods, reels. Was on here for hours. Some really good info on here. Anyone else heading up there around 12th Nov? Also NAGG if you read this. I read about the Schneider Mono you described as being great leader material. I have plenty of 45lb stuff, do you think that would be sufficient for Awoonga? Probably gonna run 30lb fins, or 40lb Sunline.

Cheers
    Ryan
    Hi Ryan .

You obviously know just how tough the Schneider is

I'm using 55lb Schneider klear which is 0.8mm - the same diameter as most 80lb leader material. (It is tough & offers the best abrasion resistance) After a long search this is the one and the only one that has not failed me ........ all the others have been worn through at some stage .

my advice is to spend $15 on a 50M spool and be done with it ......... I couldn't think of anything worst than seeing someone make the big trip - hook a fish of a lifetime only to get worn through on a extended fight or if you have to apply some hurt to the fish.
    30lb fins in fine ...... these days many fish 30 & 20lb.

Best of luck on your trip

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyboy90 View Post
    cheers chris but i didnt understand what you meant by making it hard for you... its hard enough for me someone who has no idea on barra besides eating them...

Pilgrim cheers for that im headin to bcf this arvo now cause that sounds like a great starting point...

Its always tough giving advice to someone who is having their first shot at impoundment barra
    specially when I've watched a mate go through the same thing ....... he didn't want to spend the cash either and over just a handful of trips - I've watched a rod fall apart and 2 reels pack it in .......... all this over just 6 trips and maybe 50 barra
    Now he has spent a bit more and is much more satisfied with the whole experience ....... he can concentrate on fighting the fish and not the gear

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeh i agree totally with you there Chris. i mose well spend the money and get the right gear in the first place then not complain when i lose the fish, lure and my tears.

Gonna hit the tackle shop up tomorrow. should be a good day burning the credit card. Gonna do a bit of experimenting with the suspending side of things on the xraps and maybe some bombers. Also might slip some different jig heads in the slick rigs and work out some sink rates Thanks again guys for your input. It will only help me land the fish of my life!

Cheers

Ryan

Yeh i agree totally with you there Chris. i mose well spend the money and get the right gear in the first place then not complain when i lose the fish, lure and my tears.

Gonna hit the tackle shop up tomorrow. should be a good day burning the credit card. Gonna do a bit of experimenting with the suspending side of things on the xraps and maybe some bombers. Also might slip some different jig heads in the slick rigs and work out some sink rates Thanks again guys for your input. It will only help me land the fish of my life!

Cheers

Ryan
    Good onya Ryan

impoundment barra fishing is good fun and so is setting yourself up for the assult - getting put in the right direction can save a lot of expense and angst. There is tackle that is tested & proven ...... buy it and at the end you find that its not your cup of tea - it is easily sold ..... and at a good price . There will never be a problem selling a curado , chronarch or Zillion baitcast reel -
    If you have time up your sleeve (5 days from tacklewarehouse US) - you can land a shimano curado for just over A$200 ........

as for those X raps (12s) ..... #4 owner STN-66 on the tail & a #1 on the front will usually have them suspending .......... if it still sinks - remove the tow point split

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah will be having a nice relaxing day down at the tackle shop tomorrow. eh eh eh! lol I have never owned a bait caster purely because i was bought up Jew and Flathead fishing old school style with the old man. Then the last 5 or so years have really ventured into finesse lure fishing and haven't bothered with them. To be honest I would like to make the change soon and have a bait caster for Jacks/ Barra etc. I have a Barra raider at the moment paired with a dodgey 5bb Regal. which i will be upgrading before i go away. and i also have a raider Snapper light which is a bit lighter at 4-6kg but gee is casts a lot nicer than the barra and i like the longer butt. So at the moment i have mixed thoughts on what to take away. Do i buy a nice spin reel and use my current rods or do i go all out and get a nice bait caster combo and finally make the change. I had a look at the website you are talking about. Is it the one that is on sale for 179? with the free razor? lol hmmm that razor sure does sound good.. " And here is a photo of me shaving with my new curado at Awoonga" haha.

Ryan

Ahh damn its only a Shaver bag. Scammers

Yeah will be having a nice relaxing day down at the tackle shop tomorrow. eh eh eh! lol I have never owned a bait caster purely because i was bought up Jew and Flathead fishing old school style with the old man. Then the last 5 or so years have really ventured into finesse lure fishing and haven't bothered with them. To be honest I would like to make the change soon and have a bait caster for Jacks/ Barra etc. I have a Barra raider at the moment paired with a dodgey 5bb Regal. which i will be upgrading before i go away. and i also have a raider Snapper light which is a bit lighter at 4-6kg but gee is casts a lot nicer than the barra and i like the longer butt. So at the moment i have mixed thoughts on what to take away. Do i buy a nice spin reel and use my current rods or do i go all out and get a nice bait caster combo and finally make the change. I had a look at the website you are talking about. Is it the one that is on sale for 179? with the free razor? lol hmmm that razor sure does sound good.. " And here is a photo of me shaving with my new curado at Awoonga" haha.

Ryan

I like baitcasters ...... but am warming to quality spin gear ( forced to by a form of tennis elbow)
    For 50% of my impoundment barra fishing a spin outfit is sweet ....... so for a newby - I'd go spin first.
    Yes ...... the one with the razor (It will cost you $340 locally)........ they are a popular baitcast reel ... ... just buy a few packets of berkley hollow belleys or split bellies and you will turn the shipping cost to barely nothing ....... along with adding to your placcy range .
    Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Will have a good think about it all over the next few days and come up with an attack plan. Thanks again for your input Nagg. Will be in touch. Tight lines.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    [/COLOR]

Yeah right..biggest ripoffs around. Advice??..depends on who you get I spose
    I suppose it depends on which BCF you go to, Always had good advise from mine here in Brissy, and In Townsville. Never been to the Gin Gin one so I can't comment on them. But as from Steve B's Avatar he should know what he is talking about. As they say buy the best you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    I suppose it depends on which BCF you go to, Always had good advise from mine here in Brissy, and In Townsville. Never been to the Gin Gin one so I can't comment on them. But as from Steve B's Avatar he should know what he is talking about. As they say buy the best you can afford.

Hi Pilgrim, I had to have a little chuckle "Gin Gin BCF"... our whole town would fit inside a BCF shop!! but we do have a tackle shop, and F o xies Barra Havvoc is great, he will give excellent advice to anyone of impoundment barra, and better prices than BCF too. I have found tackleworld to also be cheaper. I have had good and bad BCF service, and occassionally they have some good specials, but as a whole I find them more expensive in the stores I have visited.

Thanks for the kind words about ol Homer as hes known (my avitar)..hes still my favorite barra of all time.

As for gear, your right, best you can afford. Barra are a tricky one, we use the lightest gear possible to catch one of the biggest, meanest beasts around. They can destroy even quality gear, as NAGG can verify with a destroyed HLC Zillion from a rampaging fish.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Ha yeah, Gin Gin's not that big hey, Grew up in Maryborough myself, Most of my gear now is either Shimano or Daiwa, But do have a couple of ABU baitcasters, that have served me well over the years. An ABU 2500c is a bit of a classic these days, and still going strong, and an old ABU five, which I pulled the carbon bushes out of and replaced them with stainless bearings, which I got out of an old Shimano Bantam. And it is still going strong after 25 yrs of service. The key is as with any gear, regular servicing and maintenance. Looking foward to hitting Lenthalls and Monduran in the near future. Let you know how the gear holds up.